Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Online Photo Labs

29 Mar 2015 1:13PM
We had some professional pictures takes of our 8 week old baby but I don't want to print them using my home printer. Can anyone suggest a good online photo lab?

Cheers
SlowSong Plus
13 9.9k 30 England
29 Mar 2015 1:34PM
DS Colour Labs. Brilliant.
You may have to brighten up the print a bit and perhaps lift any shadows, but try a test copy and then you'll know. Lots of sizes to choose from and personally I like the Lustre surface. Very easy to use. No need to register, etc. No downloads needed. Couldn't be easier. Excellent prices and well packaged. Quick 1st Class post.
franken Plus
19 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2015 1:41PM
I agree re DS colour labs, brilliant for me.
I also use DSCL and have never had any problems great service.
RayBeck 16 43 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2015 4:21PM
Also used DSCL and can confirm the service and quality is very good. A colleague used them and had a problem with one batch. The company immediately apologised and reprinted the images in question.
Jestertheclown 13 8.5k 253 England
29 Mar 2015 7:15PM
Another vote for DSCL.
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
29 Mar 2015 7:18PM
If they are pro prints did the professional give you fullsized versions to print? Otherwise if they are web-resizes they won't print well. Furthermore why not simply buy our prints through the professional and support the industry?
29 Mar 2015 7:24PM

Quote: Furthermore why not simply buy our prints through the professional and support the industry?

It's more a case of supporting your own bank balance and never mind the industry.

In my experience, DSCL charge a fraction of the price that a professional photographer will charge.

And let's face it; that professional will get the prints from somewhere just like DSCL anyway.

29 Mar 2015 7:33PM
True the lab is going to be cheaper.

However its only valid if:
1) The OP actually has fullsize or suitably sized files for printing
2) If the OP bought printing rights/copyright along with the purchase of the photographs. Without one or the other its in breach of copyright for the printers to print the photos (fair few print labs won't print photos if they've got "copyright" notices upon them unless the one ordering is the owner of said copyright).
29 Mar 2015 7:49PM

Quote: The OP actually has fullsize or suitably sized files for printing

I'm assuming that he has.

The copyright issue is almost certainly of no consequence.
I've had dozens of images printed DSCL and other labs. No-one's ever asked me if I own the copyright.
There must be plenty of people getting images printed that were taken by someone else.
The labs. would be turning business away.
Martin54 Plus
15 547 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2015 7:51AM

Quote:I've had dozens of images printed DSCL and other labs. No-one's ever asked me if I own the copyright

If you've accepted their terms & conditions you almost certainly have been asked.
30 Mar 2015 10:06AM

Quote:
If you've accepted their terms & conditions you almost certainly have been asked.

No doubt that's the case but no-one has ever specifically posed the question.
In real life, these labs. must print thousands of images every day that were requested by someone other than the person that took them.
And what about the high street shops that print your images on the spot?
No doubt you're accepting their T&C by walking in the door but they're never going to question your ownership of the copyright.
While I can accept that there's a need for photographers to prevent their images being misused, there's also a lot of unnecessary paranoia regarding much more simple issues.
Following the logic being expressed here, you wouldn't even be able to send your Mum down to Boots with your SD card.
30 Mar 2015 10:17AM
If you search around it does happen; stores have refused to print - although often it only happens when they have due cause (such as "copyright so and so" watermarks on the print or a signature in the corner that isn't related to the person asking for the print. Marks on the back of formally released prints also get stopped if you send a photo for pro-photocopying and reprinting).

Sure they won't catch everyone, but they will some. Furthermore as a fellow photographer surely you're not promoting the demise of your own hobbies professional segment? Many a pro relies upon print order to put food on the table.
30 Mar 2015 10:32AM

Quote:Furthermore as a fellow photographer surely you're not promoting the demise of your own hobbies professional segment? Many a pro relies upon print order to put food on the table.

It's a simple matter of economic common sense.

I realise that pro. photographers are trying to make a living but so am I.
There's a photographic shop cose to where I live which charges about 6.00 for a single A4 print.
A pro photographer would charge at least the same, albeit wrapped up in his overall price.
Last time I looked, DSCL were charging about 60p. per A4 print with a flat single price for delivery, regardless of the quantity.
I know which one I'd use.
30 Mar 2015 10:36AM
One could make the same argument for shoplifting then - I mean it is cheaper and it is technically stealing but its bound to happen lots - esp from supermarkets. Buying photos for the average person isn't running a business either; its a luxury product not an entitlement.

Of course this is moving away a little from the OP's point; the pro they hired might be one who makes their profit from the sitting cost and then gives out print-ready files (though I would expect most doing that would also give the name of at least one or two good quality printing services that they would recommend to their clients to use).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.