Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Online Photo Labs

Jestertheclown 13 8.5k 253 England
30 Mar 2015 10:42AM

Quote:One could make the same argument for shoplifting then - I mean it is cheaper and it is technically stealing

Shoplifting is deliberate theft.

If the OP has paid for his images, he could well claim to be their new owner.
That might not stand up in court but it's a good example of how silly copyright law becomes when you take it to its extreme.
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
30 Mar 2015 10:48AM
Not really - its the same as arguing that you own copyright of a book or DVD or music album because you bought the product.

Theft can happen where you're not picking something physical up off the shelf and running out the shop with it.
Jestertheclown 13 8.5k 253 England
30 Mar 2015 10:55AM
This is going to become another of those pointless copyright threads if we're not careful.
If I buy a book or a dvd, I don't particularly care who owns the copyyight.
I think we all know enough of the law to understand how it's supposed to work.
It's the implentation in real life that really counts.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
30 Mar 2015 12:35PM
I would say that if you have been given the full or high resolution images on a disc, then the inference, whether stated in writing or not, is that you are able to print those images as you see fit.

If they are small view files of low print resolution then it could be argued, even without the existence of any paperwork, that they were not intended to be printed and that the owner had committed an infringement (not theft) of the copyright laws.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.