Ooh Help

katieb 15 255 4 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2011 9:34PM
I'm sure it tells me somewhere but after a brief look I can't find how to turn off the loads of emails I get when one of my favourites upload a new image. I love looking at my favourites images but i don't need my inbox filling up with even more emails.
Thank you
Kate

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
23 Jan 2011 9:36PM
Just go to your 'favourite photographers' page, Katie, and click on remove all notification.
katieb 15 255 4 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2011 9:40PM
Cheers Cole the one place i didn't look.
edrhodes 14 547 12 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2011 10:19PM
Do you know how to turn off emails when you get a vote on your own image.
Sorry to hijack your thread Katie.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
23 Jan 2011 10:26PM
Go to My Settings>Web Options> and scroll down to Notifications and select off for email notifications.
edrhodes 14 547 12 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2011 10:29PM
Cheers Denny, easy when you look ehGrin
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
23 Jan 2011 10:33PM
I'm sure I'll need help later.Tongue
sherlob Plus
13 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2011 9:30AM
This feature really peeved me last week. Why is it defaulted to the on setting? I understand Pete wants to ensure members are aware of new features, but in this instance I think there are far better ways of letting folk know. I have my emails set to come through to my phone - every notification therefore leads my phone to chime. Over a 2 day period I had approx 20 messages - many overnight. Personally I can't see the difference between these unsolicited notifications and spam.

Before I get jumped on. I've commented about this by submitting a report - I just didn't get the impression that my comments had been passed along.

Adam
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
24 Jan 2011 9:44AM
Sadly the plan went wrong. It was never intended to feel like spam. It was going to be straight forward. We introduce a new set of notification options. How do we do it - have them off so know one knows or kick the series off turned on so at least people see what a notification looks like and if they don't like they turn off and never get another.

But a bug meant that they came flying thick and fast, and every time someone comment on that picture of mine it triggered another set. And the favourites turn off was broken.

Most of the notification bugs should be fixed now and everyone should have either kept them running because they like the feature or turned them off because they don't.

One thing I've requested is a change to the votes one so it will just send one out when a votes is received on a photo and won't send another until it's reset, like the comments notifications.
24 Jan 2011 10:01AM

Quote:One thing I've requested is a change to the votes one so it will just send one out when a votes is received on a photo and won't send another until it's reset, like the comments notifications.

that is how it should be.

Actually, I can't quite understand that need to have notification for favourite photographers. After all, when you log into the website, it is all in one page, and you can clearly see who has uploaded new photo.
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
24 Jan 2011 10:07AM

Quote:Actually, I can't quite understand that need to have notification for favourite photographers. After all, when you log into the website, it is all in one page, and you can clearly see who has uploaded new photo.

So you would (and probably have) turn that feature off.
24 Jan 2011 10:13AM
Indeed I have... Wink Tongue
sherlob Plus
13 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2011 11:12AM
Thanks Pete.

I hope you know that my comment was not intended as a personal criticism, but rather as a criticism of that decision.

Quote:How do we do it - have them off so know one knows or kick the series off turned on so at least people see what a notification looks like and if they don't like they turn off and never get another.

I'm not sure what your saying here. I can see the logic about having a feature defaulted to on to help folk realise the feature is there, but in this case I disagree with that tactic. As unrequested notifications can result in unsolicited email messages it would seem logical to me to have this defaulted to off. The site after all has other ways of telling people of new options. Furthermore, in this case, anyone using their fav's page would pretty quickly see the option - the notification buttons are rather obvious. By contrast those not aware of the fav's function would be unlikely to get any notifications as they probably wouldn't have any fav's set in the first place.

Some would argue that this is all academic as the upgrade has now happened. But I am hoping that by challenging this method, should any similar updates that involve notifications be introduced the method will be changed.

Hope this make sense.

Adam
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
24 Jan 2011 11:16AM

Quote:Hope this make sense.

Totally, thanks Adam Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.