Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Oops dropped it

10 Jun 2018 11:20AM
I went out early this morning (5-30) to capture some Kingfisher action. I thought I would try some shots using my Sony RX10 mk3 mounted on a tripod near to one of their regular perches and use my phone to activate the camera via wifi. I took my Canon 5d mk4 with 100-400mm lens as well.
I got to the venue and took my rucksack off my back only for my Sony to do an escape out of the rucksack and land on a chunk of old tarmac.
It failed to turn on . Bugger, I had already decided it was the Sony that would be coming away with us to Greece in a week or so, that plan has changed nowSad

I think I have to put in an insurance claim in, never done it before I hope all goes smoothly

anyone else been dropped a camera

SteveSmile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
10 Jun 2018 11:34AM
When returning from a photoshoot I picked up my lowpro pull along from my car boot but had not properly closed the case. My new 24-105mm Mkii lens came out but at a low angle close to the ground and rolled a little way. I was hoping for no damage or complete write-off (insurance claim). It appeared the lens hood just had a slight scrape and the lens still works fine. I make a point of always checking the lowpro is zipped up before removing now.

The last time I made an insurance claim was for stolen kit and I was well compensated.

Dave
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
10 Jun 2018 12:49PM
Ouch, I feel your pain.

My lenses started spilling out of my Lowepro backpack that I'd not zipped up, luckily they landed on grass. Somehow I managed to do the same thing years later and damaged a 70-200 f4.

On a lot of backpacks where the lid has two zips to close it which meet each other, you can choose to have them meet at the bottom left or right or middle top etc. I think the bottom is safer as it shouldn't flap open if the zips work their way apart.

250184_1528631315.jpg

A really bad habit, that I have still not managed to break, is that when setting up or hurrying so as not to miss the light, I will leave the backpack lying flat and close the lid but not zip it up (because I'll be going back in to it for something else in a few minutes).

Pick that up and swing it over your back and you can send a lot of stuff flying in different directions.

250184_1528631329.jpg

randomrubble 15 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2018 2:23PM
My Eos 3 & 16-35L 2.8 (Mark 1) fell as I was removing it from a tripod and the lens snapped near the mount. The resultant 300-ish repair bill was the point where it became clear that insurance might be a good idea!
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
10 Jun 2018 4:59PM
I once dropped a Sony 70-300 that didn't belong to me. It landed front first on a concrete floor and was a write off.
Household insurance covered it and paid out extremely quickly.
Sadly, they gave me Jessops vouchers whereas I'd have preferred cash and to have been able to buy a replacement elsewhere; Am*zon probably but at least it didn't cost me anything.
Euan65 Plus
2 316 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2018 5:20PM
My EOS 1V fell off a low wall once and landed on a concrete pavement. It had the notoriously delicate EF 50/1.4 on the end, too. Both camera and lens were fine and still are. Truly, the 1V along with the cockroaches would survive a nuclear holocaust.
10 Jun 2018 8:37PM
That's why I now use the Lowepro Flipside backpack nowadays. Once saw two 1Ds, and a collection of L/fast EF glass fall, from an old style rear zip Lowepro bag.

Drops, Pentax MX, 70-200 f2.8 Sigma, 15-30 Sigma, Canon 40D which snapped off a Sigma 18-50f2.8. All insurance jobs.
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2018 8:47PM

Quote:I went out early this morning (5-30) to capture some Kingfisher action. I thought I would try some shots using my Sony RX10 mk3 mounted on a tripod near to one of their regular perches and use my phone to activate the camera via wifi. I took my Canon 5d mk4 with 100-400mm lens as well.
I got to the venue and took my rucksack off my back only for my Sony to do an escape out of the rucksack and land on a chunk of old tarmac.
It failed to turn on . Bugger, I had already decided it was the Sony that would be coming away with us to Greece in a week or so, that plan has changed nowSad

I think I have to put in an insurance claim in, never done it before I hope all goes smoothly

anyone else been dropped a camera

SteveSmile

I've just decided to sell my Sony RX10 III was just checking the listings here. Smile
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 599 England
10 Jun 2018 9:22PM
Many years ago my tripod fell over with a T90 and Tamron 28-80 SP lens attached.
Lens repaired and new shutter for the camera. Both worked perfectly for many years before being sold on.
PRC 5 219 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2018 10:19PM
Some years ago I dropped my Pentax K-r with lens onto a stone floor from about 4ft. I picked it up and put it in my bag without looking at it. After half an hour I plucked up courage to look at it and switch it on. It worked fine, no problems at all - but it took a while for my heart-rate to settle!
randomrubble 15 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2018 7:46AM

Quote:My EOS 1V fell off a low wall once and landed on a concrete pavement. It had the notoriously delicate EF 50/1.4 on the end, too. Both camera and lens were fine and still are. Truly, the 1V along with the cockroaches would survive a nuclear holocaust.

1 series Eos are tanks! My 1Ds was in my hand as I fell and if basically took my entire 15st as I put my hand out to break my fall, on a stone beach. The camera was still perfect.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
11 Jun 2018 10:07AM

Quote:That's why I now use the Lowepro Flipside backpack nowadays. Once saw two 1Ds, and a collection of L/fast EF glass fall, from an old style rear zip Lowepro bag.

Drops, Pentax MX, 70-200 f2.8 Sigma, 15-30 Sigma, Canon 40D which snapped off a Sigma 18-50f2.8. All insurance jobs.

Wasn't me was it? I had the entire contents of a LowePro Nature Trecker unceremoniously exit onto the ground...

We use Flipside backpacks now too...
AlexE 2 159 United Kingdom
11 Jun 2018 2:51PM
Never actually dropped a camera. I've had more water encounters.

Once left a camera on a stone at the beach to do a time-lapse and then forgot that the tide would advance and claim it as it's own. I got it back but it never worked.

I also once left a compact camera in a pile with my clothes and it was put in the washing machine.

BTW. Now that I think of it I have dropped cameras from low heights quite a few times. Normally when fitting them onto boom poles or tripods.
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
11 Jun 2018 8:56PM

Quote:Once left a camera on a stone at the beach

That's just reminded me that I once dropped my trusty OM40 into the sea while messing about on the beach in the middle of the night (as one does).
I eventually found and rescued it and it continued to perform faultlessly for years afterwards.
pink Plus
16 6.2k 7 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2018 7:12AM
My 20D went over on my 6 foot high tripod with a 500f4 lens attached, the lens hit the pavement first and proceeded to rip the front of the camera off!
11324_1528783936.jpg

Insurance claim followed, nice shiny 40D Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.