Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Open discussion: Adaptall3 ???

petitBogueBogue New Member 1
13 Feb 2021 9:29AM
Hello there!
In the era of fully machanical lenses, Tamron invented the innovative mechanical coupling Adaptall and Adaptall2 series adapters. Then situation became more complicated as lenses changes to partly mechanical and partly electronic. Then the transformation was completed in the age of mirrorless when practically lenses from all mirrorless camera manufacturers are fully digital. So do you think it is feasible for Tamron to introduce a fully electronic adapter system (Adaptall3?) in which one lens can fit all mirrorless camera brands via electronic couplings? Please discuss! ^^
SteveAitch 3 50 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2021 2:30PM
I think too many companies refuse to publish/license the necessary details of their lens controls for that idea to be a goer.
petitBogueBogue New Member 1
15 Feb 2021 1:37AM
Thanks for your suggestion, Steve!
But I think that is not exactly the point. Refusing to publish/license the necessary details of their lens control hampers the development of both third party lenses and adapters alike. So if a third party company succeeds in backward engineer the lens control system of a particular mirrorless camera brand, it can still opt for manufacturing either lenses or adapters for that system.
Now major third party lens producers like Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, etc. are renowned in reverse engineering various mainstream lens control systems like Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, M4/3, etc. So I reckon Tamron does not introduce an electronic "Adaptall3" system is more a cost-benefit than a technical consideration.
What do you think?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.