Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

Opinions on Panasonic GX8

2 Dec 2015 1:28PM
I have a Canon 5D MKii. I want a take anywhere camera without lense changes. I have invested in several CSC cameras before and not taken to them. Prob the nearest was Fuji xt-1 but even this seemed a touch slow and involved lens changing. I am now thinking of a bridge camera but before I go along that route I would like opinions on a Panasonic GX8 with 14-140 lens. I feel this would cover a good zoom range taking into account the crop factor but has anyone got this combination, are you happy with image quality and also do you have any better ideas. Not sure if I'm just expecting too much after the Canon..I really would appreciate feedback on this and any sample images. I've wasted a lot of money in the past so want to get it right this time. Many thanks...Keith
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
3 Dec 2015 2:54AM

Quote:I would like opinions on a Panasonic GX8 with 14-140 lens

This combo is now my standard kit. (I also have the Panny 12-32mm, 20mm/f1.7 Mk II and 42,5mm/F1.7.)

I have to say the GX8 + 14-140mm is a very nice intuitive-feeling bit of kit. I too have been through a number of CSCs (the GX8 is my sixth) and several lenses and I do feel I have got it right this time! grin-light.jpg
I am more than happy with the images - and I used to own a Canon 5D Mk II with 'L' lenses.

Hope that helps. There are EPZ reviews of the camera and lens on here in the Reviews section.
lemmy 13 2.9k United Kingdom
3 Dec 2015 10:24AM
That combination is particularly effective. The lens and in body stabilization cooperate which gives similar capabilities as the top line Olympus cameras (but only with a Panasonic lens, of course).

Focusing speed will knock your socks off, about the fastest Single auto focus on any camera including the top line DSLRs and it will focus in almost darkness - under starlight, for example. As Carabosse says, it's a cinch to use and the viewfinder, for anyone who doesn't know how EVF has advanced, will impress.

But take a look at the reviews. The only general criticism is the price and continuous AF but that applies to all mirrorless cameras. Nonetheless, it is still more than good enough for any football, rugby or cycle sports that I might cover.

Downsides are that you cannot get the ultra shallow depth of field that is a bit of a fetish these days and if you make large prints, over around 24 inches across say, you'd be better off with a full frame. In terms of IQ compared to APS-C sensor cameras there's nothing in it practically speaking.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.