Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Optical zoom quality

22 Feb 2002 8:05PM
Am leaving Spotmatic with selection of SuperTakumars (I never had a zoom, the quality is never really there). Am I going to be satisfied with zoom on a digital? I would regard the 35mm equivalent of 35 to 105mm as really being a bit meagre and would prefer to get to 180mm --- or 200m max. But will it be pukka? Note the G2 has been criticised for wibblywobbly lens mount. Bruce+++
23 Mar 2002 2:49PM
I take it you mean a digi with a "bolted on" lens? I use the Minolta Dimage 7 and the lens is the equivalent of 28-200mm, which sounds right up you street. Lovely camera, great colour, none of the fringing apparent with the Fuji 6900. The new 7i sounds even better than the 7.

Regards,

Bruce
jrt 19 27
24 Mar 2002 3:33PM
Bruce. I wouldn't let the lens mount worry you thousands/millions? of G2 buyers would have left canon floundering in the financial wilderness if the camera hadn't been pukka.

What interests me is what persuaded you to opt fromm 35mm photography to digital point and shoot. Seems to me the two are chalk and cheese and wonder if you may regret the move once the initial 'new toy' thing has worn off.

Depends of course on what photographic aspirations you may have, just remember however that a compact digital no matter what the price is still fairly limiting.

SLR digital, now your talking, is rapidly coming of age and almost ready to take over from 35mm film, still another few years/months? to go yet I feel. JRT.
Bruce. Sorry I can't fully agree on the Dimage 7,as I have just sold mine and gone back to Canon.
I will agree however that it is a great little camera to handle, takes good shots, with quite nice colour etc. but the focusing to me was slow,and at times had a tendancy to hunt. Alas! the greatest fault of all was the power consumption of the thing, Yes it can eat batteries for Breakfast,Dinner,and Tea. Just take a look at the specification for the cammera, and nothing is said about its battery consumption,either on the 7 or the new one to be released soon. I still believe that Fuji Velvia without doubt is the best for quality,and Canon
EOS the quickest for focusing, but at the end of the day, it comes down to what meets with your requirements. At 74 years young,I can't see me going back to Digital, because in my lifetime it will never be the master of Film.
All the Best. Ken.
18 Apr 2002 5:31PM
JRT --- At age 72 I have retired from professional photography. Done enough time in darkroom too. So sold emulsion stuff. Gone digital instead. You ask why? Mostly because the stuff I want to photograph I want to view on my puter. Almost everything I have in my bromide albums I would prefer to have in a hard drive album. Selfish?

I can send them to my web friends, emplace digital albums (Yahoo gives me 30MB per identity). Even scanned photos from wherever can be collapsed to a file of say 100KB per pic for pc viewing and tolerable jpeg printing-out. So Yahoo gives me at least 300 adequate pix on THEIR storage. And I can have three identities.

Try http://photos.yahoo.com/thiefthirtyseven & you'll see I have posted 90 scanned-in photos of Spamcans for my fellow members. So digital suits me.

But even with the limited spec of a Nikon Coolpix 775 the results please. It came with a 256 MB card so I can afford big image files on the camera were I concerned about quality when printing-out (which I am not). Thankyou e-zine for help on selecting camera by the way.

So for me emulsion is yesterday. I am ready for tomorrow. This a personal choice of course. Bruce +++
jrt 19 27
18 Apr 2002 7:44PM
Bruce, of course digital cameras and computers go hand in hand, good luck. JRT.
ellis rowell 16 2.0k United Kingdom
5 Aug 2004 9:16AM
How the picture has changed, two years on.

We now have 12x zoom lenses with image stabilisers and fast A/F. Prices are getting more reasonable.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
5 Aug 2004 2:38PM
Yes, it seems like a thread from a couple of decades ago, not just a couple of years!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.