WEX Deal: Save 500 on the Sony A7R Mark II

Orange Livebox

simont 16 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2007 1:36PM
Looking for a bit of comfort advice/experience.

I'm currently with Orange and their uncapped Broadband option, which has normally been fine.

Just recently they've started the heavy sales pitch of trying to get me to sign up to their Unlimited Broadband (19.99) with a livebox.

Looking at what I get for this, A 10 saving, free calls to 01 and 02 numbers, I'm seriously considering taking them up on the option.

But I've heard so many bad things about wireless connections and people hacking into your connection that I'm a bit sceptical of using a 'livebox'.

Bearing in mind there is only 1 desktop PC in the house the questions I've got are:

If I hardwire the PC to the Livebox, is it still a wireless box? Is it still open to hackers in the same way a wireless box is reported to be?

The wife is also worried that bank details etc will/can be grabbed by someone hacking into the livebox, is this still a reality?

How easy is their software to install?

Thanks in advance
Simon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

admiles 14 241 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2007 2:01PM
I'd love to be able to help you Simon, but I'm 9 months into my Orange contract and have yet to receive my "Livebox" dispite many phone calls to customer service lasting several hours in total!!
ahollowa 16 1.1k England
23 Apr 2007 2:12PM
I did just what you are thinking of. I went from an old uncapped 512Mb @ 27.99 to the uncapped 8Mb with free calls @ 19.99 a month. I had problems wth it continually dropping out at first. It seemed to fix itself the week that they enabled the telephone (this seems to take a week longer than the rest). However this was at the same time I turned off wireless on both the livebox and my belkin router (which I am using as a hub as the livebox only has 2 wired connections and with works laptops we have more than 2.
Don't worry about wireless it is easy to switch off if you are running a wired connection. This is then noloess secure than any other wired connection.

cheers

Al.
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
23 Apr 2007 2:24PM
ON a security note, Hard wired & wireless are all fair game for Hackers unless you take reasonable precautions to make it diffricult if not impossible for the casual as well a hardened Hackers.
For Hardwired you have " Hardware Firewall " & Software Firewall ( Upgrade the encryption for any passwords to 128bit ) .

With Wireless or WiFi you can increase your password encryption to 128bit ( thats the " WEP " ).

You can if you delve into the procedure encrypt all your passwords.

Therefore providing all reasonable precautions are in place, The threat to individual PC/Mac are minimal, But it's wise to consider changing passwords etc at regular intervals, ie; Once a month, Yeah! OK it's a pain, But it's less of a pain than having your bank account hacked.
simont 16 2.3k 4 United Kingdom
23 Apr 2007 5:00PM
Thanks for your comments guys.

Simon
ChrisIW 14 180 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2007 2:36PM
If you decide to go wireless its not a problem but you need to have a box that you can enable a WPA key its far more secure than the old WEP. I think i am correct in saying that the Orange Box is able to run with a WPA key and that there is one installed when you receive it, so just needing to put that key in any computer in the house.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.