Original Lastolite Ezybox and Elinchrom D-lite heads - using the two together ...

TanyaH Plus
16 1.3k 395 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2016 4:48PM
I have had a look through the lighting forum, but didn't find anything recent or relevant to the problem I've got ...

I have acquired two original Lastolite Ezybox 60 x 60 softboxes (the ones with the 9" wide void at the back to fill).
I also have access to two Elinchrom D-lite studio heads - one D-lite 2 and one D-lite 4.

So ...

I need an adapter that will (a) fit the 9" hole and sit snugly between the petals at the back and (b) will then also fit onto the Elinchrom heads. I think I've got a solution but would really appreciate a second opinion that I'm on the right lines with my thought process. One thing I find ever so annoying is that many retailers don't actually put the physical diameter with the products ...

This is what I think may do the job - however, does anyone have one and if so, can you let me know what it measures across it? Also, does 'it' come with both those parts shown - i.e. the upper, smaller bracket and the lower, flat plate thingy? (Sorry, not entirely sure of the terminology at the moment - 'speedring plate' seems to encompass a wide variety of objects, from what I've seen on a Google image search!)

Technically, the speedring linked to above (safe, by the way - goes to Lastolite's website) is designed to fit the back of the Ezybox II, but I don't know whether the holes at the backs of the original Ezybox and the newer Ezybox II are the same. I could order one, but if it doesn't quite fit then I'm stuffed and left with a product I can't use and even more frustrated than I currently am Smile

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Tanya

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8 13 931 26 England
8 Mar 2016 5:24PM
Hi Tanya

I've found these guys pretty good, willing to offer advice, they will be at the Photo show in Birmingham later this month if your possibly going Smile

Chris
TanyaH Plus
8 Mar 2016 5:31PM
Cheers Chris - I did speak to a very nice man called Brian at TFC who is meant to be ringing me back, but hasn't done so far. I just thought I'd hedge my bets and ask here too, as I know there's an awful lot of people on EPZ who may well have been down the same route, and could give me their experience of trying to fit two completely different systems together Grin

Am going to try to get to the show, but don't know yet if I'll be able to yet. I'll get it sorted one way or the other, though.

Thanks again
Tanya
jembo 15 139 United Kingdom
8 Mar 2016 6:40PM
I think the adapter should have come with the Ezybox. Just looked on the lastolite site and there's nothing listed for the Ezybox 1.
The bit you need can be seen here , but you need the Elinchrom version - the aluminium ring has an outside flange with a recess all the way around. The Ezybox panel ends just pop into the recess.
TanyaH Plus
9 Mar 2016 12:32PM
Thanks Jeremy Smile Although secondhand, it did have an adapter with it, but a Bowens one so I'd discounted it as not being 'correct' and thinking I needed something similar, but different.

However, I think you've just given me a lightbulb moment, looking at that image you've linked to - I hadn't even thought to check whether the Bowens fit bit came apart from the round bit underneath - doh! Grin The lipped round bit fits the hole fine, it was just the Bowens/Elinchrom fit thing that was catching me out.

Will have a closer look at the adapter tonight, and see if it's two seperate bits that come apart, but I think you may just have solved my main problem - I reckon I've been over-thinking this, and missed the most obvious solution! Ah well, we lives and we learns Grin

Tanya
jembo 15 139 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2016 7:18PM
I have ssn somewhere where someone made an adapter from som white aircon/plumbing ducting/pipe.
TanyaH Plus
10 Mar 2016 10:55AM
Nah, I've staved off the Blue Peter moment and now know what I need to order to make it work for me. Can't thank you enough for that image link - also can't believe I was such a nitwit in the first place, for not realising that the 'Bowens adapter' wasn't the whole thing, just the bit on the top that comes apart from the bit underneath!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.