ADVERTISEMENT
Save & earn with MPB; trade-in and buy pre-loved

Originality and creativity and/or technical excellance

ianwebb 16 2 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2007 7:03PM
which is more important/interesting,an image of average maybe even poor quality but which makes you think about what you are looking at or something that shows a high level of technical awareness but which contributes nothing to creativity,picturesque shots of cliffs,clouds and sunsets are all well and good but its not exactly fueling the forest fires of original and alternative thinking.Is photography as an art form there to provoke thought or to provide wallpaper?
randomrubble 18 3.1k 12 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2007 7:12PM
Images that make you think are better. Tecnical proficiency has to be allied to something alse to make a great shot.

Not nessecarily a conceptual idea but certailny a way of seeing that tells the viewer of the photograph somthing, prefferably something new, about the subject.
cameracat 19 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
22 Oct 2007 7:15PM

Quote:provoke thought or to provide wallpaper?

Probably both, But it's Catch 22.....Sad
User_Removed 19 17.9k 8 Norway
22 Oct 2007 7:33PM
Got to agree with Vince here; It's undoubtedly a 'Catch 22' situation.

And I feel the 'Before & After' Gallery is not helping with this one...

I saw an amazing image the other day which - on the face of it - was a superb landscape. When I clicked on the 'Before' and saw the original, I was severely disappointed. There was a 'shed-load' of post-production in there.

So...

Smile

( unless - of course - I am missing something here... in which case I'll select 'Trunk' and 'Retract'! Wink )
NexusImages 15 1.8k 4 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2007 7:56PM
Both I think. I don't think that lots of post-prod should detract from an images overall value, as this is a skill too. If the producer of an image wanted the final picture to look a certain way but used a software package to do so then so what. As far as art goes then using the tools, skills and knowhow to get what you want is not a bad thing.
That said, the smart alec that can churn out perfect images deserve recognition of this too.

am i getting splinters in my arse?
joolsb 18 27.1k 38 Switzerland
22 Oct 2007 7:59PM
It all starts with creativity. Perfect technique allows you to translate your vision to the viewer in its purest form, with no distractions.
22 Oct 2007 8:00PM
Both would be great but concentrating too much on the technical can blow the creativity sometimes.
22 Oct 2007 8:10PM

Quote:Both would be great but concentrating too much on the technical can blow the creativity sometimes.

(For the second time this evening...)

Amen.
Krakman 16 3.6k Scotland
22 Oct 2007 8:38PM
Good technique IMHO is something that you learn - and then learn to forget. Many of the best photographers use 'bad' technique deliberately. In the end there is no such thing as good technique, just different techniques.
keith selmes 19 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2007 9:32PM

Quote:Which is more important/interesting

Depends what for.
Ordinarily, probably the poor quality more thought provoking image.
If filling a blank space on the wall, the one that matches the decor - especially if its a bland, technically good, decorative image that doesn't need thinking about.
Krakman 16 3.6k Scotland
22 Oct 2007 9:49PM
...and you need some supermarket muzak humming away in the background to go with it... Wink
22 Oct 2007 9:53PM
LOL!!!
keith selmes 19 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2007 10:26PM
LCD picture frames, built in audio, courtesy Trotter Enterprises - any tune you like, so long as its Jingle Bells - dead classy.
ianwebb 16 2 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2007 10:31PM
interesting views,for me personally i feel wallpaper is something you put on the wall not to look at as supermarket muzak is not something you listen to,it's all background blah blah,photography as art of any kind is attention seeking in nature,technically great wallpaper is still wp and is in your periphiral vision as you watch tv,great art is in place of the tv.
Boyd 19 11.2k 11 Wales
22 Oct 2007 10:43PM

Quote:Is photography as an art form there to provoke thought or to provide wallpaper?

Sometimes it's just the way to pay the mortgage. So art form, wallpaper or art in wallpaper I don't care, it's just got to be good.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.