Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 6 months at 50%

Orlando Opportunities

Alan_Warriner 15 545 England
22 Jun 2007 9:00PM
We're off to Orlando, Florida, in about a month (Doing Disney and the rest) but are there any photo opportunities (or dangers I suppose) outside the parks.

I'm also looking to buy a new lens in the near future so are there any recommendations for shops in the area if the price is competitive?
baker58 17 101 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2007 9:30PM
A walk along International Drive should give you many opportunities for shots. There are a few quirky tourist attractions i.e Wonderworks (an upside down building). Plenty of American signage to shoot along the route too. Have a ride out to Kennedy Space Centre, Alan. Plenty of wildlife alongside the route ( Pelicans, the odd bald Eagle, Armadilos and aligators). Didn't come across any shops selling photo gear, maybe you have to go to Orlando city for this.

Paul
22 Jun 2007 10:48PM
There are a lot of photo shops around the tourist areas off I- Drive, but you need to be careful. You will see a lot of hard sell adverts advertising what seem to be very attractive prices for a camera or lens, but when you actually enquire, there are suddenly conditions attached ie the lens offer does not apply without a camera purchase or vice versa. You should also bear in mind the warranty issue if theres a problem.

Still worth looking though

Steve B
rossd 17 1.1k England
23 Jun 2007 10:06PM
Lucky you!! For cameras/equipment try Ritz Cameras (www.ritzcamera.com) - just like Jessops but manned by professionals. There's a branch on Sand Lake Road - opposite the Florida Mall. They're an authorised Canon/Nikon dealer and are very helpful. Try their website and it gives a store locator and maps.
For photo opportunities you must go to Merrit Island (next to Cape Kennedy). There are numerous wildlife trails and long white sandy beaches. Also, try Cocoa Beach a real surfing centre and a very laid back feel. Great sea food restaurants and cheap!!
23 Jun 2007 10:15PM
thanks for your help and advice, much appreciated
daviewat 17 4.1k Scotland
23 Jun 2007 11:40PM
Boy lucky you we were there earlier this year Smile

Photos ??????? personaly i had a good compact as this did the job really for the family album etc.

Models and trains or very simalar sounding name was a very good camera store pro gear etc but prices are not really much different to here :-( there are lots of camera express shops, avoid them rip off guys totally.

Bear in mind in the parks that if you have a DSLR make sure you are happy with the oine lens as changing them is a pain due to the number of people around, and dust will be a major problem.

Overall have fun and enjoy Disney it is awsome.

Dave
rossd 17 1.1k England
24 Jun 2007 8:37AM
One more point (prompted by Daves comment) - beware of the humidity. Keep your camera in the boot (sorry 'trunk') of the car. If you keep it in the car with the air con on and then take it outside the camera/lens (inside and out) will fog up like crazy. I speak from experience and it took about 40 mins or so for the condensation to clear. Not good for a digital camera!!!
24 Jun 2007 2:39PM
I don't think I'll take the SLR to the parks, too much risk of damage on the rides.

I'd been warned about the heat and humidity, but thanks for the reminder
daviewat 17 4.1k Scotland
24 Jun 2007 2:47PM
25 Jun 2007 7:49PM
Thanks for the link David, there's loads of stuff on there

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.