Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Other brands !

Ploughman 8 28 3 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2013 10:13PM
I have spent the last few minutes looking through this forum. Having looked through quite a few pages I see the names Nikon - Canon and the odd time -Olympus mentioned over and over again. However the name Pentax seems to be missing. I am sure that some of you will at some time, looked for your first DSLR or maybe an upgrade. How many of you researched other brands including Pentax before making the decision on what to buy. In fact how many of you have looked at the superb Pentax reviews done on this site ?

Richard.
Carabosse 18 41.7k 270 England
14 Mar 2013 10:17PM
Pentax Who? Wink

You are right though. Pentax is used, or used to be, by our esteemed Editor/Proprietor and I think they are site sponsors. However even he uses an Olympus OM-D plus his iPhone these days. Lol! Tongue Grin
14 Mar 2013 10:20PM
Thanks Carabosse, i did not know that. Have you read the latest Pentax reviews ?

Richard.
14 Mar 2013 10:24PM
No - which one in particular impressed you? Smile
14 Mar 2013 10:31PM
I have been a Pentax user for a long time with the occasional foray into Nikon (D90) Canon (40d) but keep going back to Pentax ( I now have a K5). What I find interesting is that so many people spend their hard earned cash on a particular brand without doing very much research.

Richard.
14 Mar 2013 10:33PM

Quote:What I find interesting is that so many people spend their hard earned cash on a particular brand without doing very much research.

Why exactly do you assume that?

Perhaps they did plenty of research but decided manufacturers other than Pentax had more to offer.
Sooty_1 11 1.5k 221 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2013 10:41PM
.....and perhaps they already have a 'system' and want to remain with it, or suffer the financial hit of having to replace existing lenses and accessories?

I wouldn't fancy replacing everything I've amassed along the way that is forwards and backwards compatible with my current gear.

Nick
14 Mar 2013 10:43PM
Ha, sorry, I reckon I phrased that badly. What I am trying to find out is, what is it about the Pentax brand that puts people off.

Richard.
lemmy 14 2.9k United Kingdom
14 Mar 2013 10:46PM
No, you don't understand sooty_1. Anyone who did their research would come to the conclusion as me Wink
MrGoatsmilk 13 1.5k England
14 Mar 2013 10:47PM
Pentax? Is that a flat that's a bit posh?
14 Mar 2013 10:48PM
Pentax's DSLRs offer nothing which would persuade a Nikon/Canon user to dump their lenses and switch.

Pentax's forays into the mirrorless market, dominated by Olympus, Panasonic and Sony, have been pretty disastrous - with the over-quirky K-01 (just discontinued, I think) and the miniscule-sensor Q model failing to hit the spot.
Steppenwolf 10 1.2k
15 Mar 2013 8:48AM

Quote:Ha, sorry, I reckon I phrased that badly. What I am trying to find out is, what is it about the Pentax brand that puts people off.

Richard.

The lens selection is a bit limiting for a start. If a manufacturer is to persuade people to people to buy their product rather than Canikon they need to give them a very good reason and Pentax doesn't have any killer features. It's difficult to take on Canikon on their own ground - i.e. DSLRs. Sony has given up and moved onto SLTs which bring with them some significant advantages, like frame rate and video to name but two.

Also the volume market is now rapidly shifting to mirrorless CSCs and the Pentax Q (for Queen apparently, not clever) is very brave but an interchangeable lens camera with no EVF and a tiny sensor will always be a niche market at best. The Nikon 1 and M4/3 will just murder it in the popuar market.
Newdevonian 9 466 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 9:23AM
I had a Pentax Spotmatic back in 1967 and moved to Canon in 1969 after 'doing my research". In 1996 I changed to Nikon (Canon got up my nose on a warranty claim) and have used their products ever since. I don't think anybody on this site purchases without doing their homework.
The OP sounds incredulous that Pentax doesn't have the majority of the market share. Perhaps the sales figures are the best indicator of product acceptance, design and quality.
BTW Does he work for Pentax? Smile
15 Mar 2013 11:27AM

Quote:I had a Pentax Spotmatic back in 1967 and moved to Canon in 1969 after 'doing my research". In 1996 I changed to Nikon (Canon got up my nose on a warranty claim) and have used their products ever since. I don't think anybody on this site purchases without doing their homework.
The OP sounds incredulous that Pentax doesn't have the majority of the market share. Perhaps the sales figures are the best indicator of product acceptance, design and quality.
BTW Does he work for Pentax? Smile

ChrisV 14 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 11:28AM
If you're going to advance in photography to professional or 'serious' amateur [whatever that means], Canon/Nikon do offer the most comprehensive and practical systems. That is slowly eroding, but there's still a significant advantage there.

Having said that, were I buying an APSc DSLR camera today and had c 600 to spend and no long term plans for other peripherals, I'd probably buy the Pentax K5. A few years ago Pentax were pretty woeful at higher ISOs, but these days they've completely wiped that out. Add to that the build quality/weather sealing of the K5, the in-built IS and the dual dial ergonomics and you have easily the best bang-for-buck at that price point. I have recommended the camera to people wanting a good quality DSLR to stick with.

On other fronts there's probably still work to do - I was looking at a Q prime kit the other day which is now down to bargain basement prices from its original lofty RRP. It still doesn't make any sense.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.