Get 20% Off PortraitPro 22 With Our Exclusive Code

Other brands !


Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
15 Mar 2013 11:34AM
There are often threads on here where people are seeking a pocketable camera to supplement their DSLR. The Pentax Q is never mentioned: which I guess speaks volumes.
Ploughman 9 28 3 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 11:49AM
Newdevonian, I am not incredulous and sorry you think that is how I sound. However, I wonder how such a poor set of sales figures stack up against so many very good reviews particularly for the K5 and K30.

You do not have to ask -does he - rather, ask me directly if I work for Pentax. The answer is that I do not. Neither am I a fanboy of Pentax and I am well aware of the sales figures.
I have been an enthusiastic photographer for over 55 years using various cameras and have made money doing so. Now I am having to slow down because of poor health. This gives me the opportunity to partake in superb sites such as this one in a polite, and non aggressive manner. No sir, I am never `incredulous`.

Richard.
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
15 Mar 2013 11:59AM

Quote:However, I wonder how such a poor set of sales figures stack up against so many very good reviews


Are the reviews better than those on comparable products from, e.g. Nikon and Canon?
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 12:00PM

Quote:How many of you researched other brands including Pentax before making the decision on what to buy

Even if Pentax were to come up with a camera whose sensor produced clearer and less noisy pictures (at high ISO) than anything Canon or Nikon do I'd probably not buy it.

I want to buy into a VHS kind of system not a Philips V2000.

If I want a third-party remote control, lens, flash, battery, battery-grip, mains charger or I want to rent a lens or buy a second hand lens I want to be totally spoilt for choice. With Canon I am, with Pentax I'm not. I wouldn't consider that brand for that reason.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
15 Mar 2013 12:20PM

Quote:what is it about the Pentax brand that puts people off


Absolutely nothing.....Grin

However they arrived at the party much later than some other brands, Most notably Nikon & Canon, Heck even Kodak turned up early along with Olympus.

During that late arrival the other brands gained a hold in the market place, Its that simple.....Wink

From a personal viewpoint, I would love a Pentax system, But the bodies & lens are not compatible with my Nikon gear, My Canon shooting better half would not be able to use Pentax parts either, ( That's not forgetting accessory range, Be that own brand or third party ) ....!!!!!!!!!!!

It is the price Pentax has had to pay for getting up late in the day, That said are they really Pentax anymore...? ? ? Like some other brands they are owned by someone else these days, Is it a Pentax your buying or is it brand X with a Pentax badge.....Sad

Whatever, A camera is a camera, There is far to much attention paid to brand snobbery, To much brand flag waving, Meaningless comparisons, Half baked reviews speculating silly little points about irrelevant details, It is no wonder some people spend huge piles of cash brand switching in the hope of improving their photography, Instead of learning how to improve....Tongue
ChrisV 15 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 12:23PM

Quote:However, I wonder how such a poor set of sales figures stack up against so many very good reviews
.......
Are the reviews better than those on comparable products from, e.g. Nikon and Canon?



If you consider that with the K5 you're getting the equivalent of a Nikon 7000 series for the cost of a 5000 series [same for eq. Canon], then yeah.

The hampering factor is lens/peripheral choice, but that's true to a very large extent still with m4/3 - even though it's a broader standard. It's good news for the format that Panasonic have produced the 12-35 and 35-100 fast zooms, but at the moment, they're the only game in town for these basic pro grade workhorses [if you want native mount and decent AF performance that is].

I believe Sigma do their AoV/aperture equivalents in Pentax mounts...
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
15 Mar 2013 12:55PM
I wonder how many pros still use Pentax equipment? It used to be quite a few, but the percentage must now be almost negligible.

Even thought it is said systems such as M4/3 do not yet have the range of lenses required for large-scale pro use, some of the lenses available are used by pros even though they are at consumer prices. As well as the better known pros, such as Damian McGillicuddy and Giulio Sciorio, there are host of lesser known pros, e.g. here , who are venturing beyond the flapping mirror.

Pentax's failure to get a foothold in mirrorless will not help their chances.
Newdevonian 9 466 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 2:03PM

Quote:Newdevonian, I am not incredulous and sorry you think that is how I sound. However, I wonder how such a poor set of sales figures stack up against so many very good reviews particularly for the K5 and K30.

You do not have to ask -does he - rather, ask me directly if I work for Pentax. The answer is that I do not. Neither am I a fanboy of Pentax and I am well aware of the sales figures.
I have been an enthusiastic photographer for over 55 years using various cameras and have made money doing so. Now I am having to slow down because of poor health. This gives me the opportunity to partake in superb sites such as this one in a polite, and non aggressive manner. No sir, I am never `incredulous`.

Richard.



I apologise if you thought me impolite. I certainly wasn't trying to have a "Ploughmans" for lunch.
ChrisV 15 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 2:19PM

Quote:I wonder how many pros still use Pentax equipment? It used to be quite a few, but the percentage must now be almost negligible.

Even thought it is said systems such as M4/3 do not yet have the range of lenses required for large-scale pro use, some of the lenses available are used by pros even though they are at consumer prices. As well as the better known pros, such as Damian McGillicuddy and Giulio Sciorio, there are host of lesser known pros, e.g. here, who are venturing beyond the flapping mirror.

Pentax's failure to get a foothold in mirrorless will not help their chances.



I think you're right on both counts, but there's chance that m4/3 and Pentax might in future start to claw some market share from the higher end [Pentax are already arguably where other larger brands fear to tread with their 645]. I'm a little disappointed that we haven't seen m4/3 mount fast zooms from the likes of Sigma yet, but they will surely come.
Ploughman 9 28 3 United Kingdom
15 Mar 2013 3:02PM
I apologise if you thought me impolite. I certainly wasn't trying to have a "Ploughmans" for lunch.

That`s OK Devonian, and thanks. Perhaps I`m just a little edgy today.
The thought of `ploughman` for lunch, I reckon I would be a bit tough.

Richard.
caj26 9 8 United Kingdom
23 Mar 2013 10:18PM
I used a Canon Eos in the film days[not so long ago..!!].Sold it.
Sometime later wanted to upgrade from bridge to digital SLR.I chose pentax because of the inbuilt stabilisation,the weight and size of it.The old film lenses you can buy for it.
Yes some professionals do shoot with pentax[check out the forums]
BUT the Cannons and Nikons are well catered for in terms of lenses, have their own benifits.
I did lots of research before I bought into pentax,I'm glad I did.
I appreciate advice and help from anyone who uses any DSLR.
Smile
CP140 9 7 Canada
29 Mar 2013 5:53AM
Well... my first "real" camera was a Pentax MV back in the 80's so I admit to having a soft spot for Pentax. When I got back into photography a couple of years ago, I looked and played with all of the entry level Canon/Nikon/Pentax etc. models and the Pentax K-r (with its kit lens) felt smoother and better in my hands than the comparable Canon/Nikon models.

Do I regret having a Pentax? NO!... I've since upgraded to the K-30 and am liking the weather resistant capabilities. Do I wish there were more lenses offered in the Pentax mount? YES! Having said that, how many lenses do I really need?

Now if only I had kept my Pentax K-mount primes from my youth Sad
Gundog 8 629 Scotland
29 Mar 2013 8:51AM
While some of the lesser brands such as Pentax do now have a semi-decent range of dSLR cameras, they were very slow to match Nikon and Canon in the early days of dSLR technology.

As most dSLR owners probably, within a couple of years, amass a collection of lenses and accessories costing 10x - 20x the original cost of their camera body, it becomes very expensive to switch brands later on.

And, whatever the merits of today's Pentax, Olympus, Sony, Sigma, etc., cameras, they don't really begin to approach the range and quality of lenses and accessories that Nikon and Canon offer.
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
29 Mar 2013 9:06PM

Quote: how many of you have looked at the superb Pentax reviews done on this site ?
Richard.


Most advanced photographers stick with one main system for several years.
Current Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony etc reviews are of secondary interest to those already committed to one particular brand for the immediate future.
Having lost market share as Pentax, Olympus and Minolta (now Sony) did it takes time to regain market share.
At the moment of these three I regard Olympus in first position, Sony 2nd and Pentax a distinct third at regaining market share.
Advertising as well as the right products in the right place at the right time seems to be part of success or relative failure.
I do not see much Pentax advertising.
Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
29 Mar 2013 9:35PM

Quote:And, whatever the merits of today's Pentax, Olympus, Sony, Sigma, etc., cameras, they don't really begin to approach the range and quality of lenses and accessories that Nikon and Canon offer


Olympus and Panasonic may bot share the same quantity but as quality goes there lenses are right up there with the best. Some of these experienced pro`s have even claimed the the Olympus primes like the 12/17/45 and 75mm are the best primes they have ever used and from any system.

I believe the Pentax CSC system has been scrapped, there were not selling enough units to make the system viable.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.