Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

Our site search

Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
18 Aug 2010 3:20PM
As far back as I can remember members have said our site search doesn't work. Yet we've continued to develop throughout the years. Another thread mentions that some members still don't think the search works.

I find the current version gets me what I want every time. I'm not sure why members still find it wrong. Say for example I search polariser It pulls up all the activity in the area of the seit you're searching as the main feed, but has a left hand side blue panel with all the other areas of the site that have occurrences of the word (in gallery it picks up tags) so I can see there are two articles, several photos, over a 1000 forum threads, and various other mentions.

For those who find it poor what's doesn't work well and what else should the search do?
csurry 19 9.2k 92
18 Aug 2010 3:26PM
Pete some times you even know that articles exist, but you still can't find them. One reason is that is it a technique or an article? What tags have been applied to it?

I know I wrote an article on getting work published, but I have no idea how to find it. I've tried a few times and I still can't remember if it is in articles or techniques!

Basically you almost need to know what is there to find it. I would presume that a lot is down to the tags, you probably have a fair idea of how work it categorised and therefore have a distinct advantage when looking Wink
csurry 19 9.2k 92
18 Aug 2010 3:30PM
OK it is in technique, but I only found it by using the word magazine or submission. If I tried "getting published" as I might on Google, then I don't find it.

See, it's all to do with how does someone that does not know something exists search. I knew what my title was, so I had a head start, but would someone else type magazine to find an article, sorry technique on getting published? I think not.
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
18 Aug 2010 3:44PM
Thanks Cheryl, much of that's down to the wording we use when uploading. For example I tried "getting published in a magazine" , "magazine submissions" and even just "magazine" and the article appeared, because the title has magazine in it, but "getting published" isn't in the title or tags.

I've just added getting published as a tag and in the keyword description and it now appears. So in your example it's not the search as such but the way the keywords etc are added to the article when we upload it. To get this right we need to know all the things that would be searched and add them to the article's header info.
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2010 3:51PM
If you hadn't found it Cheryl, I could have helped. I've had that one quick-linked for ages Smile Still haven't got round to doing anything about it though Wink
csurry 19 9.2k 92
18 Aug 2010 3:57PM
That's what I'm saying Pete, you need to think how someone that does not know the item exists would search for it, the same as tagging images only it is really more abstract because the thought process for text is different to an image.

OK try "birds in flight". Now I know my article on Gigrin is on there, but again I find it by typing Gigrin and flight does not find it.

I think the search fails for most people because there are not enough diverse tags that match the users thought process better.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
18 Aug 2010 4:03PM

Quote:For those who find it poor what's doesn't work well and what else should the search do?

The search features in the gallery could be better ie type in E3 and nothing happens, type in most other camera`s and there`s no problem.
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
18 Aug 2010 4:07PM

Quote:type in E3

I believe we have a three character default, so it works faster and more accurately. I need one of the web guys to confirm that though.
Having said that e2 seems to work...maybe we had a few default 2 characters added. In which case we could do the same for e3 and other camera options. I'll see what David has to say.
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2010 4:08PM

Quote:because the title has magazine in it, but "getting published" isn't in the title or tags.

But why should we care if it's in the tile, tags or the main body text ?
In the same article Cheryl mentions amateur photographer but the article dosn't apear in this search.

that's no use at all.
Metalhead 13 1.9k 2 England
18 Aug 2010 4:09PM
Another example is when people search for info on a specific lens, such as a review or forum posts that relate to that lens.

For example, search "sigma 17-70" and there's a lot of results, obviously, but nothing directly to that lens. Click "Reviews" down the left side, and you still have to click "More results" and find the lens yourself on page 2.

With lens searches, many people quote the number "17-70" without the "mm" at the end.

Do a search for "Sigma 17-70mm" and it's still the 4th item down once you click on "Reviews", after Sigma 70mm, Sigma 24-70mm...

There's some odd things go on with EPZ's search facility, but I do agree the bar down the left side has improved things quite a bit. At least you can do a general site-wide search then narrow it down to the area you need to look in.
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
18 Aug 2010 4:11PM

Quote:In the same article Cheryl mentions amateur photographer but the article dosn't apear in this search.

that's no use at all.

Quote:For example, search "sigma 17-70" and there's a lot of results, obviously, but nothing directly to that lens. Click "Reviews" down the left side, and you still have to click "More results" and find the lens yourself on page 2.

Good examples...now I have something to go to the web guys and ask to improve Smile
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2010 4:15PM
I'd like to be able to search the gallery for matches on the photo info tags. ie. click on the lens, and it brings up other images using the same lens.

I'm sure that there are many people out there who like to see how a lens or camera is being used by other people. Would be even more useful for different types of flash (macro, anyone?). Okay, it's of limited use, but I've always felt that the info we add on upload could be used as a live search tag.
User_Removed 17 455 13 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2010 4:18PM

Quote:you need to think how someone that does not know the item exists would search for it

That's true, but having been pointed to this interesting article - sorry technique - how would I have come across it if I was just browsing for this type of information - or just to see what sort of thing is available.

I might not have searched for it, particularly with the tags given, but I am now interested having been told it's there.

ePHOTOzine is presented as a online magazine - you don't often have a full index in a magazine, you have some descriptive contents pages and you browse. Obviously the problem with the site version is that content builds on content, so a good browsing structure as well as an efficient search is essential if you are to get the best out of it.

If I browse the techniques section I get either multiple pages to plod through or unfriendly drop-down lists with categories that are sometimes vague.

There is clearly a wealth of information in these sections but it is not easily accessible or conveniently browsable.

Isn't this what web designers get paid to sort out for you?
Metalhead 13 1.9k 2 England
18 Aug 2010 4:23PM

Quote: ie. click on the lens, and it brings up other images using the same lens.

That's an excellent idea, and it would inspire many people to aim higher with their photography. Maybe do that in connection with a camera search so people could compare a camera and particular lens combo?

Keeping with the gallery, how's about using the image title as a default search tag as many people don't bother filling anything in for search tags. That way every image has at least 1 search tag.

I'm sure I've searched for images by their title before but found nothing.
csurry 19 9.2k 92
18 Aug 2010 4:49PM
I don't know some of the images I see on here taken with top of the range lenses would put me off buying them Wink

Maybe the site could be sued for bad advertising Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.