Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Our site search

bmh1 15 572 1 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2010 4:51PM
How about something like this for searching images ?
(draw a sketch and it tries to find a matching image!)
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
18 Aug 2010 5:55PM

Quote:some times you even know that articles exist, but you still can't find them.

Quote:you need to think how someone that does not know the item exists would search for it

Bang on in both cases Pete - and you know that I have raised this in the past. Smile

Perhaps consider looking at some of the posts by members looking for items on't 'tinterweb' and use the thinking behind the search criteria offered by others to the OP...

Read the OP's problem here - and then my immediate response in the link - and then compare the two i.e. what has the OP been using as his search criteria (??) - and what did I use that came up trumps out of the gate given the search criteria in the OP's request. (My apologies to ARI Wink)
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
18 Aug 2010 8:28PM

Quote:For example, search "sigma 17-70" and there's a lot of results, obviously, but nothing directly to that lens. Click "Reviews" down the left side, and you still have to click "More results" and find the lens yourself on page 2.

I did a tonne of research on camera systems over the past year, and TBH, I found Google much better than Epz's search feature, to find articles on Epz. I would put the lens or camera name in Google, or my provider's search engine, and Epz's review of the item would be on the first page. I'd click on it and get taken straight to the review on Epz.
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
18 Aug 2010 9:37PM

Quote:I'd click on it and get taken straight to the review on Epz.

I was looking for info. re. cheap graphics tablets earlier on and did precisely that!
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
18 Aug 2010 9:54PM
Thanks guys we'll look into this in more depth
Nick_w Plus
13 4.3k 99 England
19 Aug 2010 12:22AM

Quote:
I know I wrote an article on getting work published, but I have no idea how to find it. I've tried a few times and I still can't remember if it is in articles or techniques!

Easy type "Getting Published Ephotozine" in Google its the third result down.

Seriously, i've used Google to find bits in EPZ for a while - a lot quicker. It also shows that EPZ is excellent at getting good Google rankings.
clicknimagine Plus
11 797 104 India
19 Aug 2010 9:11AM
How can i search the site by a particular Tag, unless i give the tag on my image and search it from there?

i mean to say can i search the site by a Tag like the stock photography sites have...
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
19 Aug 2010 9:13AM

Quote:i mean to say can i search the site by a Tag like the stock photography sites have...

Our image search is weighted towards tags so works in the same way. If you want to look for bluebells, for example, go to the gallery and type bluebells in the search box (which is weighted towards the gallery)
clicknimagine Plus
11 797 104 India
19 Aug 2010 9:19AM
Thanks Sir, i actually have not searched from there before, but i have gone here , where should i type?...
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
19 Aug 2010 9:34AM
All our pages have customised search - as you go to the page the search bias changes. We keep it in the same place so that it becomes a familiar point of call.

search-box.jpg
clicknimagine Plus
11 797 104 India
19 Aug 2010 9:35AM
wooops! thanks sir...
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
19 Aug 2010 9:38AM
Also just for everyone when you search, for example bluebells in the gallery it will show you results as thumbnails, but also all the other areas that have bluebells featured (displayed in the blue left hand panel). So in this example you can see we also have 1 article, 1 technique, 5 photo locations, 134 forum posts, 2 challenges and 1 video as well as 1378 photos.

bluebell-search.jpg
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
19 Aug 2010 10:02AM
Although the search results page has had a revamp, a few of the sections still use older search technology to find results, particularly photos, news, reviews, techniques, articles, buyers guides. As we get around to revamping these areas into V5 we will be introducing a search search technology that we have trialed with forums and other new areas of the site which we have seen better relevancy and quicker searching.
Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
13 Aug 2012 11:58AM
We've done some more upgrading to the site search. Could a few people test and tell us if it's still easier to find items on ePHOTOzine through Google or does the ePHOTOzine search now work well enough?
SlowSong Plus
12 9.6k 30 England
13 Aug 2012 12:05PM
I often search the forum for certain threads that I've remembered have been useful but were way back in the past. This can take absolutely ages though as OPs often don't head up their threads properly. i.e. What use is the heading Help!, when someone wants advice on buying equipment? Does the search function look for relevant words in the texts? Some of these types of thread are very useful, but almost impossible to find later because of bad headings.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.