Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Outlook.com for hotmail users

JackAllTog Plus
7 4.5k 58 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 9:49PM
If you are a hotmail user (recommended) and wish to upgrade to the new outlook.com format, its now available in the UK

For me this means online word/excel etc. But also photo folder sharing with potential cients etc.
Also looking to get a cool new email photo related email address something@outlook.com then maybe as its new its not yet been taken - add an alias.

http://outlook.com

Sorry, As a bit of i geek i like this kinda thing.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redsnappa 14 2.0k United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 10:10PM
The new outlook.com has been available for nearly three weeks now. I was lucky to get all the email aliases I wanted.
The good thing is if you are an existing hotmail user you can transfer to a xxx@outlook.com without losing all your old emails.
lobsterboy Plus
12 14.8k 13 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 10:26PM
I had a play when it first came out, it's very nicely done and a great looking system. I really like the new Microsoft graphical designs very clean and clear.
Good spam handling too.

Just trying to decide if I need another email...
Jestertheclown 8 7.4k 249 England
23 Aug 2012 10:33PM
I've always thought of Hotmail as being a kind of plaything for the under fives. A sort of 'your very first email address.'
Consequently, I've never taken it seriously. I have a few accounts (I have to, to use Skydrive) but I'd never really considered actually using one of them.
Perhaps I should look.
JackAllTog Plus
7 4.5k 58 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 10:40PM

Quote:I've always thought of Hotmail as being a kind of plaything for the under fives. A sort of 'your very first email address.'
Consequently, I've never taken it seriously. I have a few accounts (I have to, to use Skydrive) but I'd never really considered actually using one of them.
Perhaps I should look.

Part of why i like it is its portability, not matter what company i work for or ISP i use i have the same email address. Its also integrated to my phone and loads of work registrations.
Yes i could rent my own domain name and its associated emails, but as i don't run my own business yet this seems a waste.
I too think sky drive is amazing. You could share targeted word order forms with your clients.
Jestertheclown 8 7.4k 249 England
23 Aug 2012 10:51PM
I've got my own domain name, mostly because I could rather than for any business purposes but it is useful insomuch as I can use it with any email supplier. I also wanted it for my website, of course.
Normally I use gmail via Thunderbird which gives me the flexibility you describe to pick up emails anywhere (via gmail) but I also use Thunderbird as a desktop app. All my email addresses and the families, including the hotmail ones are accessible from the one place.
I used to have gmail, using my own domain name integrated into my phone but I no longer have that phone (another story!)
Carabosse Plus
13 40.4k 269 England
23 Aug 2012 11:14PM

Quote:The good thing is if you are an existing hotmail user you can transfer to a xxx@outlook.com without losing all your old emails.

So if you have joe-bloggs@hotmail.co.uk (not hotmail.com) this can become joe-bloggs@outlook.com? Is that right?
23 Aug 2012 11:37PM
That's the process that is confusing me...I already have a hotmail.co.uk address, I go to Jack's outlook.com link above, and it suggests I already have an account and makes me log in under my existing hotmail address etc..and that's it...nothing new is created...??
Willpower 5 392 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2012 12:13AM

Quote:The good thing is if you are an existing hotmail user you can transfer to a xxx@outlook.com without losing all your old emails.

So if you have joe-bloggs@hotmail.co.uk (not hotmail.com) this can become joe-bloggs@outlook.com? Is that right?

I'm sorry, but what's the point ? ?
Carabosse Plus
13 40.4k 269 England
24 Aug 2012 12:25AM

Quote:I'm sorry, but what's the point ? ?

Because 'Hotmail' is considered naff and 'Outlook' is considered cool......................... apparently! Grin
redsnappa 14 2.0k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2012 7:49AM

Quote:So if you have joe-bloggs@hotmail.co.uk (not hotmail.com) this can become joe-bloggs@outlook.com? Is that right?
Yes it is. I forgot how I done mine, (It was three weeks ago). I think when you log into your hotmail there is an Outlook.com link.
Willpower 5 392 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2012 9:36AM

Quote:I'm sorry, but what's the point ? ?

Because 'Hotmail' is considered naff and 'Outlook' is considered cool......................... apparently! Grin

GrinGrin Who says Bill Gates ? ?

I shall have to tell my three Cousins aged 19, 22, 27 that they ( and I ) are not cool. I had nothing but trouble with Outlook in all its various iterations and got very exasperated with it. So I ditched it and now use Hotmail for all my personal and business usage. NEVER had any issue with it. Hey It's good to be naff ! ! ! GrinGrin
Carabosse Plus
13 40.4k 269 England
24 Aug 2012 11:05AM
I suspect both will come to be considered naff......... if they aren't already! Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.