Overseas scam calling days are numbered?

JackAllTog Plus
12 6.3k 58 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2021 9:34AM
Finally - Maybe a few less interruptions in the future from Scam calls ( or chances to wind up the scam callers if you also like doing that)   https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59032795
thewilliam2 4 1.6k United Kingdom
25 Oct 2021 10:34AM
Some days, we've taken 4 scam phone calls, mainly Microsoft, BT Broadband, Amazon Prime or Visa Debit.

Pre-recorded calls are ended straight away and, with the live "BT Broadband" scams, caller puts down the phone when I ask for the name on the account. Sometimes, I'll offer to do the old method whereby each of us gives one character of the account number in turn.
Dave_Canon 15 2.1k United Kingdom
25 Oct 2021 11:08AM
I have complained about this issue to my MP pointing out that OFCOM were not doing their job but it seems that they are now trying. If the telephone companies are warned of a specific scam they should be given say 24 hrs to block it or face a very large fine. When it is no longer cost effective for telecom companies to allow scam calls, I am sure they will stop them.

Dave
KarenFB Plus
15 5.8k 183 England
25 Oct 2021 12:18PM
Not all timewasters will be blocked, the following quote is from the report!

Quote: "Major phone networks have agreed to automatically block almost all internet calls coming from abroad if they pretend to be from UK numbers, Ofcom has confirmed".
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
25 Oct 2021 2:16PM
BT cannot seem to block Unavailable numbers even if the Withheld number blocker is in operation.

I am not optimistic.
Just Jas Plus
19 26.4k 1 England
31 Oct 2021 1:07PM
I have received a large number of "Spoof emails" recently, daily in fact. I'm not sure where they come but are purportedly from me to me! I have forward these to various anti-fraud agencies with no apparent effect.

The majority inform me of some subscription or other has expired - Mcaffee, Nortons, you name it.

It is easy to delete and ignore, but my main worry is that one day I will receive a genuine advise and will overlook it in the mire of spoofs.

I have changed my email client which seems to date appears to be effective. Fingers crossed.
Dave_Canon 15 2.1k United Kingdom
31 Oct 2021 6:29PM
With that particular set, I was getting so many and unable to block them but one of the customers of my email client spotted that they all had dates before 10th Oct 2020 so I added a rule to block any email prior to that date and seen none since.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.