50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Packaging for prints

JohnHorne 16 1.0k
4 Nov 2005 4:42AM
A question for those who sell prints through the internet or mail order: how do you pack mounted prints for posting ?

Packaging unmounted prints is not an issue - there are plenty of sources of sturdy cardboard tubes. But when you have prints that are mounted on 16 x 20 or 20 x 24 inch mounts, there doesn't seem to be any suitable packaging on the market. I've tried Google and various shops, but haven't been able to find anything large enough. Do you make your own packing with board, bubble wrap and brown paper ? Or have you found somewhere that sells something suitable ?

Thanks
John
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
7 Nov 2005 4:05AM
Does no-one send large, mounted prints through the post ? Or is it that you don't want to reveal your sources ?
sabretalon 17 1.9k United Kingdom
7 Nov 2005 4:19AM
I don't sell just mounted, they are framed and hand delivered as well so not much help there.

You could look at some of the plastic material used for such purposes but it is expensive. Or 2 extra sheets of mountboard??
sugar jones 16 185
7 Nov 2005 4:21AM
Just having a look for some packaging myself those self seal cellophane type bags myself noticed this thread the other day. I've sent stuff before usually square prints most of my stuff, but sent them in those record (in ye old days for vinyl records) envelopes - which if I can, will dig out info as can't remember where from.
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
7 Nov 2005 4:29AM
Thanks guys. I may have to resort to extra sheets of mountboard or maybe hardboard, but it would be more convenient to use some suitably stiffened padded envelopes.

John
sabretalon 17 1.9k United Kingdom
7 Nov 2005 5:01AM
Design and market the idea John! If you want it then others may do as well?
User_Removed 17 3.3k Russian Federation
7 Nov 2005 5:05AM
Old corrugated cardboard box from a supermarket... Cut down to 4 sheets of appropriate size. If necessary covered with brown paper (or similar) to look slightly more presentable. Sellotape/glue the cardboard into two sheets of double-thickness cardboard. Place the prints between the two sheets of cardboard and secure with masking tape. Place in appropriately-sized rigid envelope...
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
7 Nov 2005 5:18AM
Glen - good idea. I'd rather be taking and selling photographs though than manufacturing packaging !

James, I'm with you right up to the point where you say:

Quote:place in appropriately-sized rigid envelope ...

that's what I am unable to find.
User_Removed 17 3.3k Russian Federation
7 Nov 2005 5:58AM
Depends on how many you're wanting/willing to buy... A quick Google has turned up this place - who do rigids up to 670x520mm (roughly 27x20"), but from the looks of it, they only ship those in packs of 50
stuwhitt 16 1.4k United Kingdom
7 Nov 2005 9:54AM
Bookmarking
stuwhitt 16 1.4k United Kingdom
7 Nov 2005 9:54AM
Bookmarking
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
7 Nov 2005 10:18AM
James - Thanks for finding that site - yes, they would be large enough. I would prefer to buy in smaller quantities than 50 so as not to have to devote a large space to storage, but I appreciate the link.
John

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.