Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Panasonic 45-200

MichaelTuska 12 32 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2011 5:17PM
How good is the lens? (panasonic 45- 200) Just purchased one for upcoming cruise holiday- documentary type and street photography;
there seems to be mixed comments. However the price was right (unboxed lens) so I live in hopes
Mike T
JohnHoppy 12 5 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2011 6:02PM
Michael, I was surprised how good this lens is. I had read reviews suggesting its performance was quite pedestrian, it was only when I was in Canada early in the summer and decided to trade my Lumix TZ7 since I also have a G2 and an Olympus E620, and I got a good trade so the 45-200mm was a good buy. Testing it out (a home-made test rig involving bottles and boxes but it serves!) alongside my Lumix 14-45mm* and 20mm, at the 45mm and roughly 150mm settings the quality surprised me, it was really good, with what I considered excellent sharpness across the frame at f5.6/f8. (*The 14-45mm lens I kept from my earlier GF1 and I'm certain it's a better performer than the current 14-42mm, feels better too.) If anything, performance is less than optimal at 200mm, so avoid f11-16 (and don't forget the IS) and you should be satisfied. Go ahead, I think you'll find it's a worthy performer for most purposes.
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
15 Nov 2011 3:42PM
I use it (in preference to the Olympus) on my PEN E-PL3.

Great lens. Image quality in good light and using whole frame is certainly as good as my Nikkor 70-300mm VR on my Nikon D3s. Obviously the camera sensor can't match the D3s in poor light or for severe frame crops.
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
16 Nov 2011 11:09AM
Just been doing a more in-depth comparison of the above two lenses, looking at 100% Raw images. I would say that, when examined closely, the Panasonic may be a wee bit softer round the edges than the Nikkor.
kaybee Plus
17 7.9k 26 Scotland
16 Nov 2011 12:30PM
I have used mine on cruise holidays and for street work ......... I have not found a problem at all
JohnHoppy 12 5 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2011 2:16PM

Quote:Just been doing a more in-depth comparison of the above two lenses, looking at 100% Raw images. I would say that, when examined closely, the Panasonic may be a wee bit softer round the edges than the Nikkor.

Nikon lens RRP 554, typical street price 420. Panasonic lens RRP 300, typ. street price 238. I think we'd probably agree on this basis the Pany lens at least earns its keep. You're right, for the money it's a great lens.
geoffw 17 35 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2011 5:17PM
I found it to be a superb lens and it even works well on macro subjects.The 100-300 is also an excellent performer,hard to tell images apart from ones taken on Nikon. I often wonder if the folk who are negative about the 45-200mm and also the 100-300mm have no experience of using such long lenses and suffer soft images from camera shake and too slow shutter speeds.Mega OIS can't cure everything.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.