Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Panasonic dmc fz5 or fz20

tce5 15 61 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2005 11:32PM
Has anyone used either of these camera's, if so what do you think. I was also looking at the fz30 which i believe comes out at the end of August. Is this true and are there any prices released yet. Would love some advice.

Tanya

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

27 Jul 2005 12:42AM
hiya Tanya, I've had the FZ20 for about 6 months now and absolutely love it. Got no complaints at all, it's a fantastic camera.

Lisa
icafe 16 19 Canada
27 Jul 2005 12:44AM
DPReview posted a preview of the new Panasonic DMC FZ30 last week. According to that article, it will be available in UK in Sepetember for 550 pounds. Worth the wait.

FZ30 Preview

Arthur
28 Jul 2005 1:04PM
Thanks alot for the advice. I agree Arthur at 550 its worth the wait.
Tanya
MikeRC 14 3.6k United Kingdom
29 Jul 2005 12:33PM
Tanya...If you are happy with 550 you will be delighted to know it will be 479...Check out UKdigital.co.uk they are situated at Clitheroe, first class, totally reliable company...2 year guarantee on all cameras, but in any event Jessops will match their price...don't take no for an answer... but you won't get the extra years guarantee.
...Mike
8 Jan 2006 9:25AM
Hi everyone,
finally went with the fz30, and i'm very happy with it. Although the macro feature is no where near as good as the SLR. Still an all round good camera.
Tanya
ellis rowell 15 2.0k United Kingdom
8 Jan 2006 1:21PM
Good luck with the FZ30, I use an FZ10 and was thinking of going for the FZ30. The only advantages it seems to have over the FZ10 are: 8Mp, and non collapsible lens which should make for faster startup. Personally, it's not enough to justify the change.
kprince 13 2
9 Jan 2006 8:00AM
I have just bought an FZ20 from jessops at 199 (bargain) and am delighted with the camera. But, wanted to get an external flash to go with it. I don't want to spend out 140 for the Panasonic dedicated gun! Does anyone know of a reasonably priced non-dedicated flashgun that would be suitable for the FZ20? The manual states "If using other external flash units ensure it is designed for digital use and the trigger voltage is based on ISO 10330 (less than 24 volts)" Any ideas or recommendations would be gratefully received!!
Z_Driver 14 5
12 Jan 2006 2:11PM
I have an FZ5. It was my first serious digital camera. I love it. Great battery life, lightweight, excellent lense with great zoom. If I have to complain, it would be that the I wish it were wider than 36mm on the wide end and it lacks RAW.

I now have a Nikkon D100 and I still find myself occansionally reaching for the FZ5 when I don't want the bulk of a DSLR.
ellis rowell 15 2.0k United Kingdom
12 Jan 2006 3:22PM
Oh Dear, you should have gone for the FZ30, that has RAW and TIFF.

Speaking personally, RAW doesn't hold any attraction for me. Too many different RAW formats around, I would prefer TIFF.

"The manual states "If using other external flash units ensure it is designed for digital use and the trigger voltage is based on ISO 10330 (less than 24 volts)". As far as I know the FZ20 is the same as the FZ10 and that only uses a non-dedicated flash. I use a Hanimex PRO550 flash with a Wein Safe Sync. which reduces the trigger voltage from 139v to around 6v.
Tooth 14 5.8k 227 Ireland
13 Jan 2006 1:00AM
Hi all
just a quickie to say I got an FZ30 for Xmas (I was Santa!) and it's just lovely. Only small issue is noise at over 100 ISO but nothing I can't live with/Noiseware out. It's a lovely camera, an all round joy. I like the idea that it has raw, though at the moment I'm not aware of any programme that supports it properly - but it may come along.
As for whether it's a big leap from the FZ20, a lot of the reviews I've read over the last few months (and I've read a lot) seem to think it is, that they've made a lot of improvements.

Good luck whatever way you go

Stephen

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.