Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Panasonic FF mirrorless rumour

JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2018 5:25PM
It seems everyone is going FF mirrorless now days , or at least announcing their intentions.
- Announcement end of Sept, Production by summer next year.
This is just rumour amongst all the other rumours

If everyone ends up with FF then all the pros will need MF to edge out a difference (DOF, light, pixel count)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse 15 41.2k 270 England
31 Aug 2018 5:47PM
Pros can start investing in these rather nice mirrorless MF cameras - relatively compact compared with the mirror versions.
9207_1535733954.jpg

JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2018 5:53PM
Smile That comes in a kit too - https://www.wexphotovideo.com/hasselblad-x1d-field-kit-1638250/ , though not so portable. I wish all the cool toys were cheaper.
dcash29 13 2.3k England
31 Aug 2018 6:04PM
(YAWN) what did we do before rumour sites.
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
31 Aug 2018 6:16PM

Quote:(YAWN) what did we do before rumour sites.
Isn't it the product equivalent of Fake News.
There's real product you can buy and use now; Then Products in the future with minimal lens ranges and delayed delivery that we can't afford anyway; Then the pseudo products that may never see the light of day or live up to expectation.
Meanwhile real photographers are taking photos.
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
31 Aug 2018 6:18PM

Quote: I wish all the cool toys were cheaper.

Ah... but now we are looking at quality (though I am sure some will not agree Tongue )...

Love how it actually looks like a traditional 'Blad from the front Smile... but you could always look at the ultimate cool toy... https://www.wexphotovideo.com/hasselblad-h6d-100c-medium-format-digital-camera-1596068/

(the original H digitals were good but the software was a total pain)...
banehawi Plus
14 1.9k 3952 Canada
31 Aug 2018 7:02PM
It reminds me of Lemmings! No Lemming wants to be let behind Wink
Paul Morgan 17 19.3k 6 England
31 Aug 2018 8:01PM

Quote:It reminds me of Lemmings! No Lemming wants to be let behind Wink

Get it then Smile
Chris_L Plus
4 4.9k United Kingdom
31 Aug 2018 11:39PM
i can see Panasonic doing this. The Panasonic GH4 stole the 5D2's video crown because Canon weren't paying attention to the indie film makers who had fell in love with the 5D II for making movies. Panasonic courted them with the GH5 (aimed squarely at video makers) The video makers were switching to Sony due to the gorgeous video from the A7S and A7S II with the full frame goodness and shallow DOF. Sony make a lot of pro video cameras. Panasonic do as well.

If they do a full frame mirrorless I think it will end up sharing lenses with Panasonic pro and semi-pro video gear and steal video users back from Sony
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
1 Sep 2018 10:38AM
Of course this is the real rumour news i'm excited about now on loads of rumour sites https://www.canonrumors.com/here-are-the-first-images-and-specifications-for-the-canon-eos-r-and-the-new-rf-mount-lenses/
Can't wait for the ePhotozine review and Josh's hands on write up - hopefully with the 28-70 F2 lens attached.
rhody 16 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2018 5:42PM
I spoke to a Panasonic employee over the weekend about the forthcoming Panasonic FF mirrorless camea. He couldn't and wouldn't say much but interestingly repeated that the new Panny FF mirrorless will share a lens mount with Leica and Sigma, which has already been mentioned on epz.
He also said it was not going to be a "small" camera and would be "DSLR" size when it is launched.
Allegedly, the design team wanted ergonomics to win over the desire to be "small" so form, function and comfort were paramount for the new design.
If customers want a "small" camera - their existing range will meet customers demands.
If new customers want to move to FF - Panny will shortly be in the market.
I'm looking forward to the official launch to see just how Panny see their FF range going and with Leica and Sigma standing shoulder to shoulder - it looks like interesting times and choice, for us all.
ChrisV 12 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2018 5:52PM
There's a lot of info on this already at l-rumors.com. Sounds like Panasonic may be firming up specs and prices on January 7, but we already know a fair bit. Rumour at the moment is that the c 47Mp S1r will come in at close to $4,000 with the more video-centric 24mp S1 being cheaper. There may be some interesting unique features, but if you ask me it's a risky strategy not to go toe to toe [at least] with equivalent Sonys.

Mind you it looks quite like the G9 only a bit bigger - so I'd expect it to outclass Sony ergonomically right off the blocks. I doubt that alone will be enough to give them a firm foothold in what will be virgin territory for them. They're saying 8k by 2020 though, so will be interesting to see what they do with this.
3 Dec 2018 7:42PM
It's hard to think that it is already 10 years since Panasonic launched the first interchangeable lens, mirrorless, micro four thirds camera the DMC-G1.
Here's to innovation and technology from Panasonic for 2019 in their new FF mirrorless format.
kodachrome 7 706
5 Dec 2018 8:38AM
As with all FF format cameras, in most cases they need high end glass to get the best out of the sensor, because in some instances, the lower budget lenses have not kept up, but then its all about production costs, you get what you pay for.
5 Dec 2018 8:57AM
DxO compare the performance of different sensors and I do find myself attracted to the image quality of those with a higher dynamic range.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.