Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Panasonic GX7 query

hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 2 England
30 Jun 2014 3:09PM
Ive, had my GX7 for around four months now, I have used it for all kinds of photogaphy ( see my portfolio) and with four different lenses without a hitch,until today, that is.

I decided to shoot at its extremly high shutter speed, to capture water drops, I upped the ISO, and went from A to S priority.

It was a. Bit dark, but the pics look fine, on the LCD ....trouble is, when I reset all my dials and buttons to where they were, the results in the LCD and viewfinder remained dark.

No matter what I did.......Set ISO, to 200 ..A to 5.6 ....set to A Mode....all remained dark.

I was half way round a long walk, still trying to work things out.....then, in sheer desparation, I did a ....RESET.....Hey Presto, all returned to normal.

Question?

Any ideas what may have caused the camera to stick like that?.....Surely I dont need to RESET, after every major change of the dials?

Curious!

Any advice, ideas welcome.

Cheers!

Hobbo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
30 Jun 2014 4:04PM

Quote:.Surely I dont need to RESET, after every major change of the dials?

Of course not. Your explanation is difficult to follow and lacks detail but If you take a picture beyond the capabilities of the camera, you get an underexposed picture. Just think, if you had a bright light sunlight exposure of 1/250th at f8, 1/8000th will require f1.4. You can up the ISO but in normal light conditions there is a limit to that too. Sometimes there is just not enough light to shoot at 1/8000th You will have seen the exposure indication flash red. The camera will take the picture but the resultant frame will naturally be dark.

There's a tendency to still think of MFT cameras as being like DSLRs were but they're not. They are computers and sometimes glitch.

Switch on and off will do the trick, as with any other computer. I've not had a digital camera yet that didn't freeze at some point. Ditto my iPad and my smart phone.

It's what riders of Italian motor-cycles used to call character Wink
Chris_L 5 5.0k United Kingdom
30 Jun 2014 5:15PM
You may have inadvertently set exposure compensation to a minus amount.
dandeakin 11 209 3 England
3 Jul 2014 8:10PM
You can set the LCD screen to preview what the image will look like with the current exposure settings. Or it can be set with a nice bright preview image, irrespective of what exposure settings you've selected.

With the former you will get a very dark preview if you've set the camera to underexpose the seen and a very bright preview if you've set it to overexposed. I set mine like this.
hobbo Plus
8 1.3k 2 England
3 Jul 2014 9:55PM
Thank you all.....

I have it sorted now.......I just need to think more when I make drastic changes to my everyday settings.

Cheers!

Hobbo
CathyT 13 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2014 6:40PM
Has anyone used the GX7 with the Nauticam NA-GX7 underwater housing....and if so is there a preset underwater setting. I'm assuming thats a red filter option? Or how did you use the camera whilst snorkelling or diving?
Chris_L 5 5.0k United Kingdom
23 Aug 2014 10:00PM
There's a good article here about that housing with the GX7 Cathy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.