Panasonic Lumix GH2 or Nikon D700

Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
8 Feb 2011 6:03PM

Quote:I wouldn't even contemplate micro 4/3. Very good for portability/weight,[if that's important the GF-1/2 or PEN 2s are much more compact] but pixel pitch and sensor size is strictly limiting if you want comparisons

Have you ever used any of it ?

Its still a no brainer, why change systems if you have all that lovely and very expensive glass.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cathal 15 492 4 United Kingdom
8 Feb 2011 9:25PM
Changing from one system to another rarely makes any sense as any gain is usually short lived. The exception is if there is some very specific facility or function that one system offers over another that is absolutely essential to getting the picture. This is an exceptionally rare situation.

Whether you choose Nikon or Canon, both can offer you exceptional systems. I think you would find the cost to change from Canon to Nikon to be considerable, and the cheaper option to be just buy a 5DII. Chances are you'd still be quids in if you did that and bought a micro 4/3rds camera as a walk around!

As other posters have suggested, you are agonising far too much on your equipment, and worrying too much about the "chat" on the internet. Relax, take some pictures, and make sure you've hit the limits of your equipment before spending any more cash.
ChrisV 13 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2011 12:41AM

Quote:I wouldn't even contemplate micro 4/3. Very good for portability/weight,[if that's important the GF-1/2 or PEN 2s are much more compact] but pixel pitch and sensor size is strictly limiting if you want comparisons

Have you ever used any of it ?

Its still a no brainer, why change systems if you have all that lovely and very expensive glass.

I have as it happens. It's a long story but I had a GF1 and [for a much shorter time] a G1. It's true the lenses [I had] were moderate range apart from the pancake f1.7. I really enjoyed the GF1 for its portability and I did get some good shots out of the system. But even using the prime lens I wouldn't compare it with the D300, let alone a 5DII.

Having said that, it's a much cheaper camera. I think they're excellent for what they are - but it's a compromise on portability vs quality. Probably better than any compact you can buy [not that I've used that many of those recently], but the compromise is still there.

I seriously wish I could ditch the weight, but for the moment at least, to quote Scotty: "Ye cannae change the laws of physics".
timiano 15 894 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2011 1:48PM
I ditched the Canon 5D with 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L IS, 100 Macro, 50/1.8 MkII, Speedlite 580EX and Manfrotto 055MF3 with RC322. And, replaced it all with a Panasonic GH1 with 14-140, Metz 48 AF1, a stack of Canon FD legacy manual focus lenses and a lightweight (< 1kg) tripod.

I had a stack of change left from selling all that lot, and had a camera system that could do 85% of my previous system, but went out with me 1000% more of the time. I've not looked back, and it means I enjoy photography a heap more.

Yeh there's limitations, and the system has only been around since 2008. My previous limiting factor was having 10kg of gear. There's not 'that' much difference between APS-C and mFT in terms of noise performance and DoF, and the GH2 certainly mixes in with them. Full frame clearly has shallower DoF ability, and modern sensors out perform both APS-C and mFT by a fair margin (although my GH2 is on a par with my old 5D noise wise).

I've now since upgraded to the GH2, and added a 100-300/4-5.6 OIS, and am adding a GF2 with 20/1.7 and 14-42/3.5-5.6 too. It's refreshing to be able to walk around with 28-600 (equiv FL) and a 100/1.4 (equiv) for about 1.7kg, in a little over the should messenger bag.

mFT rocks! Smile
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
11 Feb 2011 7:35PM

Quote:mFT rocks!

And will get even better with these new lenses on the way.

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2011a/nr110207zeisse.html
http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2011a/nr110207mfourthirdse.html

Have you picked up a flash unit yet, lovely off camera Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.