GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Panning!

motorsportpictures 11 289 23 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2008 9:48PM
do you think panning is easy or difficiult

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
28 Oct 2008 9:51PM
I must say that I find it fairly straight forward after recently going on THIS COURSE

Justin
snapbandit 15 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
28 Oct 2008 9:51PM
Neither, it's a technique anyone should be able to learn, with practice....
User_Removed 17 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2008 9:59PM
The technique I find easier is to face your body in the direction you intend to end up. (If that makes sense?)
Horse racing is a little slower than motorsport (Slightly slower!) and I find it easier to start off uncomfortable and pan into a more comfortable position.
Hope this makes sense Scott.

Gerry.
28 Oct 2008 10:09PM
Easy.
Pamella 12 1 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2008 10:38PM
Ha ha re: the reference to gold panning! Having said that, I learned to gold pan there myself on a uni course about 4 years ago. Bloomin cold.......but great fun!!
sidaorb 13 3.9k 2 England
28 Oct 2008 11:43PM
Echoing Gerry's comments, I was lucky that I learnt clay shooting very young and I have continued using a similar technique when panning, your most comfortable position should be the one that the body falls naturally into at the end of the pan.
28 Oct 2008 11:54PM
Sorry Gerry & Carl, I don't totally agree, I stand so that I am most comfortable at the point of shutter release (usually mid point of the full pan motion) & one of the most important things (IMO) when panning is to 'follow through' after taking the shot to give a smoother panning motion.

Joe B
arhb Plus
12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2008 11:28AM
As with any technique, it takes practice. The more regularly that you practice, the more you will notice your technique improving.
mdpontin 15 6.0k Scotland
29 Oct 2008 12:41PM

Quote:I was lucky that I learnt clay shooting very young and I have continued using a similar technique when panning

Oddly enough, I ascribed my success on the one occasion I've tried clay pigeon shooting to having become used to panning. That said, my success rate with panning doesn't really match up to my clay pigeon shooting record...
whipspeed 15 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2008 4:01PM
I usually pan from left to right, getting the focus on the rider, holding the shutter 1/2 down to keep the focus tracking and shooting as they get to the centre or where I want them to be in the frame and following through as Joe, really I am usually at the most comfortable point in the pan for me when I shoot.
kaybee 15 6.7k 26 Scotland
29 Oct 2008 7:22PM
I usually pan in the direction the subject is moving
sidaorb 13 3.9k 2 England
29 Oct 2008 7:23PM

Quote:I usually pan from left to right.

Interestingly I usually prefer to pan right to left if I can (although I dont often get the choice) Are you a leftie Sarah?
29 Oct 2008 7:33PM

Quote:I usually pan in the direction the subject is moving

I find this tends to work best too!! Smile Smile

Joe B
csurry 17 9.2k 92
29 Oct 2008 7:36PM

Quote:I usually pan in the direction the subject is moving

Ditto!

But the importance of not stopping your motion at the point of pressing the shutter is something I always try to encourage others to try. I liken it to the golf swing and not stopping at the point of hitting the ball. The smoothness of result and extra control by taking the "full swing" is equally important in photography and golf Smile Similarly you don't or wouldn't stub your toe at a football to kick it you continue the forward motion of the foot through the impact point.

But panning is a skill that can be acquired, but it should be remembered that having "mastered it" for the speed of one subject does not guarantee success on another subject, but it does give you a considerable advantage over someone still trying to perfect any panning shot.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.