Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Panny 12-35mm f2.8 vs Oly 12-40mm f2.8

ChrisV Plus
12 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2016 2:20PM

Quote:I have the 12-35 f2.8. There is no power zoom. It's good for video as it is silent, it's good for video and stills as there's optical image stabilisation. I've used it with GX7 and GH4.

With the 12-35 on a GX8 I think the camera can get even more stabilization by combining lens and body IS

It's a decent lens. it's not stellar. For example I don't think it's as good as a Canon 24-70 f2.8 L or a Canon 24-105 f4 L

This is off-topic, but I've got the Oly 12-40 and although [obviously] it can't match the 24-105 for overall light gathering [on FF] or subject isolation, I think it trounces it on optical quality. Never owned a 24-70L though - I would expect that to be much better. The 70-200 f2.8L is probably one of the best lenses I've ever owned.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kodachrome 7 718
25 Feb 2016 2:25PM
I read somewhere on the 4thirds forum not to use both IBIS and in lens stabilisation together, as they may clash, its one or the other apparently.
srh 15 54 1 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2016 2:51PM

Quote:I have the 12-35 f2.8......

It's a decent lens. it's not stellar. For example I don't think it's as good as a Canon 24-70 f2.8 L or a Canon 24-105 f4 L

That last sentence bothers me. I used to own the 24-105 f4 L and never rated it at all. Of course I might've had a duff copy but if you don't think the Panny 12-35 is as good as it, then that concerns me particularly looking at the Ephotozine sharpness charts for the lens.
ChrisV Plus
25 Feb 2016 3:19PM

Quote:
Quote:I have the 12-35 f2.8......

That last sentence bothers me. I used to own the 24-105 f4 L and never rated it at all. Of course I might've had a duff copy but if you don't think the Panny 12-35 is as good as it, then that concerns me particularly looking at the Ephotozine sharpness charts for the lens.

Perhaps we both had poor copies!
Chris_L 5 5.1k United Kingdom
25 Feb 2016 3:23PM

Quote:I read somewhere on the 4thirds forum not to use both IBIS and in lens stabilisation together, as they may clash, its one or the other apparently.

NOT the case with the GX8, which is the camera srh, the original poster, is using. They can work in harmony on that camera, it's one of the key selling points.

Quote:That last sentence bothers me. I used to own the 24-105 f4 L and never rated it at all

You possibly had a duff example or I and my friends have had unusually good examples. I loved mine.

On the subject of the 12-35, that extra IS could come in very handy, the GX8 only does the double IS with Panasonic lenses.

If you go to my photos here (sort them by date taken) the horse photos are nearly all 12-35, many of the dog photos are Olympus 17mm. It will say the lens below each picture. Ignore the bulldogs (which incidentally I think are 24-105)

To me the Olympus reminds me of the kind of quality I got from my 24-105, the photos from the 12-35 sometimes have a glimpse of high quality, just a glimpse.
ChrisV Plus
25 Feb 2016 3:26PM

Quote:I read somewhere on the 4thirds forum not to use both IBIS and in lens stabilisation together, as they may clash, its one or the other apparently.

That was true with Panny lenses/Olympus bodies, but I think current Olympus bodies will default to just using the IBIS where there's no switch on the lens.

The GX8 [only the second Panny with IBIS] can use that in conjunction with many of the OiS lenses to equal the stellar 5 axis IBIS of Olympus [and reputedly better it at telephoto ranges - even Oly has felt the need to add it at 300mm!]
Chris_L 5 5.1k United Kingdom
25 Feb 2016 3:31PM
On the subject of 24-105, if you click this photograph in my epz portfolio a couple of times it will zoom to a decent magnification, or go direct to the image here , look at Catherine's hair and eyes. I'm very happy with the quality of that, especially from a walkaround zoom lens. I can't imagine the 12-35 performing that well in the same situation - but I've not had the chance to try it out...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.