Paper negatives.

optik Plus
10 15 1 England
3 Nov 2017 7:51AM
Does anyone have any experience/advice shooting paper negatives in large format camera's?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Snapper Plus
14 4.4k 3 Scotland
3 Nov 2017 9:36AM
I haven't shot paper negatives, but I have tried Ilford's Direct Positive paper if that's of any interest? No idea if it is still available as I didn't like using it and wouldn't use it again, but there's a little bit more info this review.
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
3 Nov 2017 12:17PM
Many papers can be used as negatives. A few points to consider:-

Colour paper is very much more sensitive than mono, and rated at something like 5 ISO. We used to put the exposed paper through our Kreonite roller-processor when we got back to base so it was much more convenient than mono.

Choose a paper that's thin enough to fit under the guides in the large-format film holders. Double-weight fibre might not go.

Resin-coated papers are much more translucent than "fibre" and choose one that doesn't have back printing unless you want "Kodak Professional Paper", or the like, written all over your print when emulsion to emulsion contact printing. We found that was the most convenient way.

In those days, we had a UV exposure unit that allowed convenient timed printing exposures.
optik Plus
10 15 1 England
3 Nov 2017 12:39PM
Thanks William.
optik Plus
10 15 1 England
3 Nov 2017 12:40PM
Thanks Peter.
Just Jas 17 26.3k 1 England
11 Nov 2017 3:14PM
Reminded me of early days with Gratispool.
YorkieH 13 6 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2017 8:57AM
I use Ilford MG RC paper rated at ISO 3 in 5x4 camera for still-life work. Using my two halogen desk lamps, exposures tend to run at between 20 to 30 seconds @ f11 so I use the dark slide to make and then develop a 'test strip' to decide on the actual exposure. Outdoor work can be tricky so you need to do some tests to determine what works for you. Have fun.
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
27 Nov 2017 10:49AM
"Vintage" light meters generally go to very low ISO so we can get the exposure in the usual way once we've tested the paper.
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2017 11:11PM

Quote:Reminded me of early days with Gratispool.

And here we are ... Gratispool paper negatives, 127 half frame I think.
I remember loading and using these, no idea how the exposure and processing worked, they always sent back postcard size prints and a new roll.

13388_1511822853.jpg

This airshow photography was probably done with the Baby Box.
You get two exposure options, time or instant.

13388_1511822941.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.