Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Parenting Concerns!!!

bconlin 15 6
19 Jul 2005 8:16AM
I was wondering what peoples thoughts were of the following:

As an amature photograper I take a lot of portrites of mine and friends children, recently I took some good pictures of the children playing in a swimming pool. I thought of uploading some of these pictures to this website for review but held back at the thought of 'Who' might be looking at these pictures and with what thoughts in mind, what do you as photographers feel about this subject?
covey 15 1.7k Ireland
19 Jul 2005 8:20AM
As long as the kids are clothed, you have permission to upload from the parents and no address of possible location links on the pics or your pf, i don't see why not. Just my view.

T.
bconlin 15 6
19 Jul 2005 8:35AM
It is not the issue of permission, that is fine the point I am trying to make is the thought of who is looking at the pictures and with what thoughts in their minds, a sign of the times we live in, I work in IT and spent many months working for the Child Protection Squad at my local Police force and was astounded at some of the images we retrieved of some PC's, images we as normal people would look at with total innocence, but these individuals were enjoying in a unhealthy way.
sillyconguru 16 4.4k
19 Jul 2005 8:39AM
If you feel that this is how the images could be viewed, don't upload. Simple as that.
bconlin 15 6
19 Jul 2005 8:42AM
That is why I have not uploaded the images, just wanted to know the thoughts of others!!!
sillyconguru 16 4.4k
19 Jul 2005 8:45AM
It's something that doesn't cause me too much concern. If I wish to upload an image of one of my three children, I will (and have).

Yes, there are some unsavoury characters in the world (there always have been and there always will be), but if you let it get to you, it could control your life.
covey 15 1.7k Ireland
19 Jul 2005 8:49AM
I agree with the above and have posted a few of my nieces. They logged on and got a kick out of it.

As long as they are not put in any danger, thats fine. You can't control everything.

t.
philwig 15 817 1
19 Jul 2005 9:11AM
Just say "no" to the daily mail and it'll be ok.
SharonJ 15 61 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2005 5:28AM
I dont think that you worry too much.I have myself uploaded pics of my children.I have also uploaded a pic of my friends with they permission.

I do understand your concearns though.Like you said you never know who will be looking. I think basically its down to the individual on whether they want to upload there pics of children. As long as they are fully dressed i dont have a problem with it.
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
20 Jul 2005 5:34AM

Quote:I thought of uploading some of these pictures to this website for review but held back at the thought of 'Who' might be looking at these pictures and with what thoughts in mind...

The way to avoid this is to lock your children in a cellar until they are 18 years of age. Never ever display them in the real world....people may be looking at them.
20 Jul 2005 5:41AM
You could walk down the street with your children and you never know who are looking at them or what they are thinking. I upload pictures for critique, without that help I wouldnt have been doing quite so well, if I had the thought about who was looking at them everytime I uploaded I would be as paranoid as some of the papers make us parents out to be. Cartier-Bresson's images are some of the best in the world but I rarely, if at all, see anything like that being posted here which is a real shame. Children should be seen to be doing what they do, being children without that the world is a poorer place. But the simple fact is, if it makes you uneasy then dont post.
sabretalon 16 1.9k United Kingdom
20 Jul 2005 5:43AM
Put it in context of the question, you would not be walking your kids down the street in swimming costumes would you?
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2005 5:50AM
I post pics of my son Sam and niece Poppy. Both of them like looking at themselves on here and reading the comments. I wouldn't post anything that might embarass them though. I've seen this in the news today. Just proves we're all different.
bconlin 15 6
20 Jul 2005 6:54AM
I guess my experiences working on the Child Protection Unit have made me cynicle, I know you cant lock the kids up untill they are 18, but if you really knew for a fact how many paedephiles lived in your vacinity would you be as casual with your responses? I know there are wider issues with this topic but, not so many years ago this was never an issue, definately a sign of our times
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
20 Jul 2005 7:02AM
Yes...I for one would be just as casual. Unless of course we stop children going to the beach, the public swimming pool, sports day, dance classes etc...then I would say by all means complete the shut down by never showing the resulting photographs.

and it's always been an issue....just not talked about with such candour and frequency.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.