Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

Parking charges in town centres

thewilliam 12 6.1k
21 Jul 2015 10:32AM
According to Huff Post, the government has finally got the message that parking policies are killing our High Street businesses.

http://money.aol.co.uk/2015/07/20/councils-urged-to-scrap-parking-charges-to-save-high-streets/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl17%7Csec3_lnk6%26pLid%3D366770

Parking in our two nearest towns is expensive and there are always traffic wardens on the prowl. We basically don't go to either without a very solid reason. Bristol has such a penal attitude towards cars and parking that we avoid the place completely and several friends are in the process of moving out.

What do readers think?
collywobles 16 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
21 Jul 2015 10:57AM

Quote:According to Huff Post, the government has finally got the message that parking policies are killing our High Street businesses.

Absolute rubbish. The main reason there is an issue with car parking and charges is 1) Motorists are too mean to willingly pay a charge to park their car, they think they have a God given right to park anywhere they wish..

2) As for car parking in general, without Wardens and Parking charges motorists would brings towns to a standstill if there were no restrictions by parking anywhere they wish. I have always suggested do away with parking restrictions in London or any large town for a week or two and then see what would happen, motorists might not be so critical afterwards.

Further, motorists complain about paying to park in a car park but forget who has paid to buy the land. develop it, tarmac and white line it, and sometimes have security devices even if it is the local council. Someone has to pay........

I love Traffic Wardens and Clampers.
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
21 Jul 2015 11:02AM
I think it is a great idea.

The problem is where councils would make up the lost revenue and businesses are already saying that business taxes are too high in many towns - it is a fine balance. But surely higher footfall is a key thing in driving the economy - I believe that more people in a town centre results in an increase in business beyond the simple proportionate rise in numbers. And from there businesses can afford higher business rates.
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
21 Jul 2015 11:05AM

Quote:
Further, motorists complain about paying to park in a car park but forget who has paid to buy the land. develop it, tarmac and white line it, and sometimes have security devices even if it is the local council. Someone has to pay........

If it wasn't a cash cow do you think NCP would be so prevalent in town centre car parks? Not a chance. With multi-storey car parks you probably have a point, but it would be very interesting to see the cost-revenue comparison for the 'street level' car parks.
mrswoolybill Plus
14 2.4k 2288 United Kingdom
21 Jul 2015 11:06AM
As collywobbles says... Our town actually has a number of conveniently placed free car parks but large numbers of motorists still park on pavements, bus stops, double yellows - anywhere that will save them from walking a few steps.
I remember that the extraordinarily stupid Eric Pickles, when he was Communities Secretary, suggested a 15 minute 'period of grace' for motorists to park on double yellow lines in order to pick up goods from shops. It would bring our town centre to a complete stand-still and kill commerce more effectively than parking wardens ever could.
Meanwhile nearby in Hexham, the Council recently removed all parking charges following long protests from locals complaining about the exorbitant cost of 40p per hour. Residents are now campaigning to have charges reinstated because the car parks are always full...
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
21 Jul 2015 11:08AM
For nearly a decade I went into Leeds when there was a half decent sunset about to happen - it's 10 minutes away

They started charging 2 to park on street after 6 PM

In the last 2 years, I've shot 1 sunset in Leeds....

It's just a niggling amount - hardly breaks the bank, but if you're parking up for 10 minutes to just capture that lovely light (which can be fleeting) it seems like overkill.
themak 7 1.0k Scotland
21 Jul 2015 11:08AM

Quote:I remember that the extraordinarily stupid Eric Pickles, when he was Communities Secretary, suggested a 15 minute 'period of grace' for motorists to park on double yellow lines in order to pick up goods from shops.

Especially outside pie shops, I expect.
robthecamman 9 1.7k United Kingdom
21 Jul 2015 11:11AM
town centres need decent shops again not pizza shops and second hand shops theres a custom for these shops but not in present numbers.people are lazy to walk to shops.so pay price if using cars.but again more flexability needed for parking.the councils need to work better with tourism etc to encourage people to visit not put up barriers.the shops have gone but boozers and alcoholics dont seem to subside Smile
lemmy 13 2.9k United Kingdom
21 Jul 2015 11:25AM

Quote:Residents are now campaigning to have charges reinstated because the car parks are always ful
The effects of supplying free a valuable commodity like car parking spaces are blindingly obvious. Everywhere it has been tried the effect is the same, the first people to arrive park their and just leave their cars all day or week. I couldn't believe it when I heard moves by motorists to get free parking at stations. All that would happen would be people who cycle or walk to the station to avoid charges would take their cars and the car park would be full by 6.30am.

Where I am in France (population density about the same as the Scottish highlands) you never pay for parking, except in the most central parts of a city. I am willing to walk 5 minutes to a city centre and this never pay an parking charges. You can only do that where there is plenty of land available and no great pressure on it.

Pickles' suggestion was absurd, wasn't it? So now people would complain after 2hrs 16mins that 'I was only one minute outside my time' instead of at 2hrs 1min.
Can it really be that he didn't see that?

There is a cynical but apt Chinese saying, that you should be careful what you wish for because it might come true.

altitude50 16 20.4k United Kingdom
21 Jul 2015 11:27AM
There is a busy narrow residential road leading into my village, during the day there are twenty to thirty cars always parked down one side. Progress is stop-start between them if you are going towards the shops. At the end of the road a few yards away is a big council car park that is always nearly empty, it is behind a row of small shop premises some of which are vacant.
The council recently increased car parking charges in all their car parks. But they did allow 20 minutes free, but if there is the usual queue in the Post Office, there sometimes is a wait of 30-40 minutes, so they get you on that one. And you cannot do anything else.
I prefer to go to Tesco's 5 miles away, better choice of products, cheaper prices and we can park free for 3 hours. My bank is nearby as well.
If not buying much we use our bus passes to go there.
Who loses out? The small shop keeper, who I really would like to keep going.
21 Jul 2015 11:31AM
I think town centre parking is not the real problem in causing the demise of quality High Streets. There are a few towns which seem to manage it, three in my neck of the woods being Leigh on Sea, Rayleigh and Billericay. Some how they have managed to maintain good quality high streets.

I do think the main cause is the public themselves. We can now drive to an out of town supermarket where we can park the car, get a trolley, buy anything from groceries, washing machines, bikes, Beer etc etc etc.... Not only that only go into one shop, probably air conditioned, pay only once and if I want and ask nicely someone will take the goods out to the car and load it for me, and its all done and dusted in an hour.......... Shopping for mundane things like toilet rolls, vinegar, spuds is not a very exciting pastime.
21 Jul 2015 11:36AM
I am in absolute agreement thewilliam. When I first moved here to a very small village with no amenities at all - no shop, no pub, no nothing, the parking in Dorchester (17 miles round trip) was a reasonable cost 20p for 30 minutes and many side roads with parking spaces which were free. Around 4 years ago this policy changed. There are now no free car parking spaces and the minimum charge is 60p which gives you 30 minutes. The centre of town is now dying - people prefer to go to out of town shops where parking is either free or cheaper. For those of us who live on a pension and for whom a visit to Dorchester is necessary from time to time then it is an extra tax. Motorists pay a great deal of money to the exchequer one way or another and I feel that for the benefit of all there should be parking facilities at an affordable price and certainly some areas which are free. I love living here - it is an area of outstanding natural beauty and I count myself very fortunate indeed, but the cost of parking for those of us who have to use a car is way too high. And yes, a car is a necessity as the bus runs only twice a week. So not only is this, I think, a little unfair it is also depriving many of the folk who have businesses in Dorchester, and all the surrounding areas, severe problems. And even with the high parking charges the High Street is still quite often at a standstill as there are lorries unloading their goods, so the higher parking charges have done nothing to alleviate this problem.
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
21 Jul 2015 11:44AM
What will happen is that you won't get a space in the free parks as they will be taken up by workers who got there before you did. Unless of course they make them short stay and then they will have to pay someone to check the car parks and .....round we go again.

Perhaps they shouldn't have allowed the out of town shopping centres to boom in the first place or insist they charge for parking.
21 Jul 2015 11:45AM

Quote:It's just a niggling amount - hardly breaks the bank, but if you're parking up for 10 minutes to just capture that lovely light (which can be fleeting) it seems like overkill.

Stansted Airport Quick Drop Off 2.50 for 5 mins, 5 for 15 mins, 10for 60 mins. even if you just drive through without stopping, but I think its worth it to drop my wife and family in a safe place.
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
21 Jul 2015 12:12PM
even the airports are at it!

you get 30 minutes free parking at Sheffield train station - perfect for my shoot there the other day, just enough time to get what the client needed and be off!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.