Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Parliament Looking at Photographer's Rights in Public Places

macroman 18 15.3k England
14 Mar 2008 10:19AM
Chris,

Quote:Ah, I see what you mean. People need to get masks for their kids in case people look at them in 3D with their eyesQuote this post

You are too late mate.

One of our local schools has posted a pic on their website of a group of children with smiley faces superimposed on them so that they can't be identified.

Why bother to post the pic at all in that case if they so worried?

The odd thing is it looks really gruesome, talk about turning on weirdos!

The mind boggles!
Burgy_Tog 17 634 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2008 11:11AM

Quote:Also To enter private property while ccompanying police, the media must obtain permission, which must be recorded, from the person who owns or is in control the premises

It wouldn't surprise me if the permission is gained retrospectively, it is also less common for the media to enter the property, usually they will wait outside, or in the public areas (such as common access areas, hallways, stairways etc). I would also be unsurprised if the police considered themselves "in control of the premises" once they have gained access and control of the residents.

Quote: the same guidelines still stand anywhere in the UK?

As I posted earlier, the Association of Chief Police Officers agreed that it was to be rolled out nationwide, this I believe has been done as the ACPO agreement was sometime last year.
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
14 Mar 2008 11:17AM

Quote:I've seen a lot of those UK Cops sort of things where they kick in people's doors and the media follow them into their houses, never seen anyone being asked for permission.

Just because permission isn't sought on-camera doesn't mean it hasn't been sought subsequently. AIUI, it's only an offence if the resulting footage is then published without seeking permission.
MarkBowker 14 69 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2008 1:05PM
I think the police may have a point here! I mean, could you imagine an amateur photographer snapping away in London and catching, for example, a politician using a limo service or worst still filling an expenses claim form for the shoes he had to use crossing the road from his second home to westminster! And what if it turned out you had snapped an illegal immigrant employed as a police officer because the force had to fill their equallity quota!
Have camera, will travel and bloody well enjoy!
And while we're at it... Ahem... sorry got a bit carried away there!
pepperst 13 2.3k 4 Wales
14 Mar 2008 3:44PM
Nearly everyone has a camera of sorts so bring in a camera license and you get id cards by stealth.

Everyones happy cos the 'id cards' get scrapped, think like the polticos
DunDiggin 14 64 2 United Kingdom
17 Mar 2008 1:44PM
Bumping this thread back up - went a bit astray. Anyone had any response from their MP? Mine hasn't signed.
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
17 Mar 2008 2:23PM
Just emailed mine - can't begin to imagine she would give a flying monkey's chuff about it though!
Cephus 16 2.6k England
17 Mar 2008 2:32PM

Quote:Just emailed mine - can't begin to imagine she would give a flying monkey's chuff about it though!

Same here.
Smile
stevekhart 15 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
17 Mar 2008 10:26PM
Just a reminder that you can find a guide to UK Photographers Rights here.
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
18 Mar 2008 10:39AM
All very interesting, but it seems to deal press togs and media people rather than you and me the public tog.

Not that I'm interested in photographing 'incidents', but I like photographing 'life' ie normal people doing normal things.
elowes 17 2.8k United Kingdom
18 Mar 2008 4:50PM

Quote: don't imagine this comment will go down well in certain quarters but I don't think press photographers should have any public place rights that other photographers don't have

They don't at the moment and I cannot see how that can be enforced without infringing our liberty. They are given special access to places where the general public would be held back but only if following the ground rules laid down at the time by those in charge.

A recent public 'roads closed' event I attended had the press togs corralled in the worst spot.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 Mar 2008 4:58PM
Although a Press Photographer is there to do a job. Joe Public is there to rubber-neck....regardless of whether he carries a camera.

Lollipop Ladies have the right to stop traffic - even if I carry a lollipop, I don't have that right.

Wink
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2008 5:00PM
But lollipop ladies are generally seen as beneficial to society Wink
SKavanagh 13 312 5 England
18 Mar 2008 9:03PM
This may be a silly question but how do i go about writing an email to my Mp about this motion and what do i say. I have ther email address dont know what to say ????? Sad
Steve
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
18 Mar 2008 9:16PM
Make sure you use the right number of blahs! Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.