Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Parliament Looking at Photographer's Rights in Public Places

SKavanagh 13 312 5 England
18 Mar 2008 9:20PM
Thanks Chris i shall get emailing right now
Steve
macroman 18 15.3k England
20 Mar 2008 10:59AM
E-mailed my MP on 14th March.
Recieved written reply today.

Quote:
Thank you for your recent E-mail..........
I have considered the wider issues that this campaign addresses......have taken the decision to sign EDM 1155...........the State needs to stop behaving like a third world dictatorship

Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
20 Mar 2008 2:17PM
I've just emailed my MP. It probably doesn't help that he has a very safe majority - certainly in the top 10 seats of his party. I have found this to be problem before, with his predecessor. Sad

It would require a revolution to unseat these people!
DunDiggin 14 64 2 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2008 2:55PM
Bumping this up - I see there are over 60 signatories now.

My MP hasn't signed, yet (at least I hope it's a yet). May be time for a gentle reminder.

Has yours???
absurd 19 228 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2008 5:43PM
I used the "theyworkforyou" link that Andrew provided in the first post and have had a reply. My MP says he sympathises with my point of view and would be signing the motion.
He mentioned the fact that Austin Mitchell organises an annual Parliamentary exhibition. I wonder how many MPs have had similar experiences to some of ours.

Steve
gary900r 17 474 England
22 Mar 2008 7:04PM
Here's part of the reply from my MP

Quote:Thank you for your email and for drawing this to my attention. I will sign the EDM by Austin Mitchell. I had a friend who I thought was harshly arrested for using a camera outside and this does affect my judgment on this issue.
22 Mar 2008 7:18PM
I am concerned that paparazzi have a licence to hound and harass so called celebs etc due to the quote from the law books. :
"Members of the media have a duty to take photographs and film incidents and we have no legal power or moral responsibility to prevent or restrict what they record."
Seems crazy in this age of camera phones and compact cameras being used at every gig or performance instead of using their eyes, that a hobby is almost being outlawed. And im sorry to say the many privacy laws being introduced in Scotland leave Big Brother in the shade. - Martin
Burgy_Tog 17 634 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2008 7:21PM

Quote:I am concerned that paparazzi have a licence to hound and harass so called celebs etc due to the quote from the law books. :

Nothing has changed as far as law is concerned, it has always been that way. Police have never had the right to interfere with a press photographers or paparazzi as long as an offence has not been committed.

Aso that quote
Quote:Members of the media have a duty to take photographs and film incidents and we have no legal power or moral responsibility to prevent or restrict what they record."

Doesn't come from a Law Book, it comes from the guidleines issued by the ACPO for dealing with the media.
22 Mar 2008 7:57PM
The hounding of celebs is, quite often, following "tip-offs" from the said celebs' agents! Wink

Things aren't always what they seem................
mark_delta 13 1.3k
23 Mar 2008 12:21PM

Quote:Although a Press Photographer is there to do a job. Joe Public is there to rubber-neck....regardless of whether he carries a camera.

Probably the best quote I have seen on here for years !
CaptivePixels 13 343 2 Scotland
23 Mar 2008 1:16PM

Quote:Quote:Although a Press Photographer is there to do a job. Joe Public is there to rubber-neck....regardless of whether he carries a camera.
Probably the best quote I have seen on here for years !

All fine and good for established press photographers, most of whom will have a UK Press Card anyway - but what about those aspiring to such lofty positions? How do they fill their portfolios to get noticed by the pictures editor?
23 Mar 2008 2:06PM
The press are increasingly interested in Joe Public's photos and video clips - which they can usually get for free! Wink
Burgy_Tog 17 634 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2008 12:10AM

Quote:Quote:Quote:Although a Press Photographer is there to do a job. Joe Public is there to rubber-neck....regardless of whether he carries a camera.
Probably the best quote I have seen on here for years !All fine and good for established press photographers, most of whom will have a UK Press Card anyway - but what about those aspiring to such lofty positions? How do they fill their portfolios to get noticed by the pictures editor?

THe same way that the rest of the Press Togs do, get a job, get trained, get through the NCTJ course, then work. Very few get in by just being lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time once in a while.

Most pic editors will take college leavers with the photographic skills, teaching the art of news photography is the bit they are happy to teach.
alansnap 17 577 26 United Kingdom
24 Mar 2008 6:25PM
No sign of my MP signing so I've just sent her an e-mail.

Alan
Snapper 16 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
24 Mar 2008 11:13PM
My one's a Lib-Dem, but no sign of him supporting it. Email sent!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.