Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

Parliament Looking at Photographer's Rights in Public Places

Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
28 Mar 2008 6:06PM

Quote:Parliament Looking at Photographer's Rights in Public Places

In that case I`m all against it, if its giving the public the god written right to photograph people causing distress and upset and carry on even after they were asked to stop Smile

This can not and should not be allowed to happen.
macroman 17 15.3k England
28 Mar 2008 6:55PM
I would think that there are sufficient laws to cover that sort of thing already anyway.

Conduct lkely to cause a breach of the peace, harrassment, to name two.

After all amateur 'togs have taken pics in public for ages without causing grief to the public.

Apart from the Papparazzi, but we don't count them Wink

It's all this recent harrassment of amateur 'togs that is the problem.
28 Mar 2008 7:00PM

Quote:I would think that there are sufficient laws to cover that sort of thing already anyway

Yes I already new that Smile
Burgy_Tog 16 634 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2008 7:06PM

Quote:QuoteTonguearliament Looking at Photographer's Rights in Public PlacesIn that case I`m all against it, if its giving the public the god written right to photograph people causing distress and upset and carry on even after they were asked to stop

There is no privacy law, if you want that move to France. The other laws are not applicable unless the police are involved. And harassment is difficult to prove if it is only one incident, it may be behaviour likely to cause......however, if the person objecting is the one shouting the odds, it is as likely to be them that is committing the offence.

Quote:This can not and should not be allowed to happen.

Grow Up. It has always been this way if you don't want to be photographed, don't get caught doing anything worth photographing.
28 Mar 2008 10:12PM

Quote:Grow Up. It has always been this way if you don't want to be photographed, don't get caught doing anything worth photographing

Now your taking the piss Smile

Was not talking about myself.
28 Mar 2008 10:53PM

Quote:Was not talking about myself.

Doesn't matter who you were talking about, neither you, your wife or kids have rights to privacy in a public place, end of.
stolzy 14 3.8k 7
29 Mar 2008 6:58AM

Quote:
This can not and should not be allowed to happen.

Would you be happy then to have a law which banned photographing anyone or their property without their permission, because that's almost certainly how it would end up.
Taking a picture in public is almost impossible to do here in France.
29 Mar 2008 8:24AM

Quote:Would you be happy then to have a law which banned photographing anyone or their property without their permission

You seem to be missing the point that i was making, push it and over step the mark and you would either get smacked by somebody or arrested Smile
29 Mar 2008 10:17AM

Quote:Quote:Would you be happy then to have a law which banned photographing anyone or their property without their permissionYou seem to be missing the point that i was making, push it and over step the mark and you would either get smacked by somebody or arrested

THat is the problem, when you actually haven't made a point, all you have done is claimed that you are against photographers taking photographs of people in public places. That is hardly a sensible point of view.

You have then wrongly claimed that you believe that the public have rights that they don't have.

You also claim that "This can not and should not be allowed to happen." which goes to show you have either not read the posts or you have failed to understand them.
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
29 Mar 2008 3:28PM

Quote:In that case I`m all against it, if its giving the public the god written right to photograph people causing distress and upset and carry on even after they were asked to stop

Look at the amount of CCTV cameras in this country now. I don't want to be photographed by the authorities wherever I go, but I have no say in the matter. I read somewhere that on an average day, the average person is filmed by more than 30 CCTV cameras. So if they can do it, why should they stop us doing it ?
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
29 Mar 2008 3:40PM

Quote:Look at the amount of CCTV cameras in this country now

Yes, it's reckoned we are photographed at least 30 times a day with no choice in matter. Adults and children alike.

I guess it depends where you live. In a major city it's more likely than if you live in a village.
culturedcanvas 14 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2008 3:50PM
I photograph people in public places all the time. However if I asked someone to stop taking pics and they refused theres always the option of punching them one ....

Smile
andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2008 3:51PM
And just wait until the New Parking Enforcement Regulations as of 31 March 2008 come out.

The councils and their CCTV cameras are going to have a field day.
29 Mar 2008 4:57PM

Quote:Quote:Would you be happy then to have a law which banned photographing anyone or their property without their permissionYou seem to be missing the point that i was making, push it and over step the mark and you would either get smacked by somebody or arrested

Quote:THat is the problem, when you actually haven't made a point

Made my point pretty clear Smile

Quote:all you have done is claimed that you are against photographers taking photographs of people in public places. That is hardly a sensible point of view.

You have then wrongly claimed that you believe that the public have rights that they don't have.

I`m making no such claim, I take pictures in public places and it would be a shame if that was stopped. Now your claiming that the public have no rights. Fancy putting it too the test, come harass a few people I know in a local park for no good reason other than its your hobby, you will get one or two warnings to P*ss *ff and if you continued there`s a good chance you would leave on a stretcher Smile

I`m talking about over stepping the mark and upsetting people, not simply taking pictures in public places.
29 Mar 2008 5:07PM

Quote: Now your claiming that the public have no rights. Fancy putting it too the test, come harass a few people I know in a local park for no good reason other than its your hobby, you will get one or two warnings to P*ss *ff and if you continued there`s a good chance you would leave on a stretcher

Don't need to put it to the test, the public do not have any right to prevent photographs being taken of them in a public place. With regards to your suggestion that I'd leave on a stretcher, to assault someone is not a right, it is breaking the law, and a violation of my rights.

It is also not Harassment to take a photograph, check the legal definition of Harassment.

Overstepping the mark was not the suggestion in your initial response, upsetting people is a fact of life.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.