Parliament Looking at Photographer's Rights in Public Places

elowes 16 2.8k United Kingdom
29 Mar 2008 5:46PM
Breaking the law comes easily to some.

Quote:Taking a picture in public is almost impossible to do here in France.

taken a lot of pics in France and not had a problem though street photography of people is not my subject. I have taken pictures of streets and other places with people in. Mind you I expect they were mostly tourists!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
29 Mar 2008 5:57PM

Quote:to assault someone is not a right, it is breaking the law, and a violation of my rights
Quote:

Law or no law its quite simple really, violate my rights and I`d violate yours, at least I`d given you the option to pack up and go home first Smile

Quote:Overstepping the mark was not the suggestion in your initial response, upsetting people is a fact of life

You do like picking auguments, so is over stepping the mark now not upsetting someone then Smile

stolzy 14 3.8k 7
29 Mar 2008 8:33PM

Quote:
taken a lot of pics in France and not had a problem though street photography of people is not my subject. I have taken pictures of streets and other places with people in. Mind you I expect they were mostly tourists!

Mostly you won't have aproblm because people don't really care. But, you are breaking the law if you take a picture of a person *or their property* without permission.
I often get people knocking on our door asking to take a picture of my house or horse.
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
29 Mar 2008 9:01PM

Quote:theres always the option of punching them one

LOL

So everyone's in favour of photographers rights, except if they are photographing you, in which case you'll resort to violence ? I'm afraid that if someone took that attitude with me, they'd end of walking home with a Manfrotto up their arse.
culturedcanvas 14 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2008 9:05PM
Aye thats about right ... i dont mind giving people an occasional kicking.

Smile
29 Mar 2008 9:08PM
I think that about says it all.
Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
14 May 2008 6:32PM
Well the EDM has 205 MPs' signatures now - pretty good really (about a third of the House).

Sadly not mine! His response:

"As I am now on the Front Bench, I can only sign certain Early Day Motions and unfortunately I am unable to sign this one. However, I thank you for keeping me informed of your concerns and raising this issue with me".

Hmmm.......
looboss 13 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 10:22PM

Quote:"As I am now on the Front Bench, I can only sign certain Early Day Motions and unfortunately I am unable to sign this one..

Political waffle! don't fall for it! he obviously doesn't want to complicate his life by doing a bit of work !
14 May 2008 10:33PM
Here's what mine said:

Quote:Thank you for your email about EDM 1155 and photography in public places.

I appreciate you drawing my attention to this issue, I am not aware that this practice is particularly prevalent, and as such I would not wish to sign the EDM and criticise our police force without knowing more details.

In general, however, I believe it is important that people are aware of what their rights are. You are right that, except in exceptional circumstances, it is not an offence to take photographs in public places, indeed, thousands of people do all through the UK every day.

When there are serious concerns about national security, such as at military airports and power stations, there are provisions for photography being restricted; however, in general Government buildings are not covered. Indeed, the Houses of Parliament must be one of the most photographed buildings in the world and, whilst the Metropolitan police are running an anti-terrorism campaign encouraging the reporting of suspicious behaviour, including photographing sensitive buildings, I am not aware that this has led to any harassment of photographers

and yet he has now signed it. Hurrah!
Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
15 May 2008 1:56AM

Quote:Political waffle! don't fall for it! he obviously doesn't want to complicate his life by doing a bit of work !

That's what I thought. He's only a Deputy Assistant Under Shadow spokesman, so it is not as if he holds high Ministerial office. Lol! Wink
bulldozer 13 100 England
15 May 2008 5:31PM
Wrote to my local MP about this and requesting that she sign the EDM. I got a letter back a few days later saying that she was unable to sign the EDM as she is a Whip in the Commons and is unable to sign EDM's as a result. She did say she would contact the Home Office regarding my concerns though and let me know the outcome.

About a week later I got another letter from her enclosing a copy of the reply from Tony McNulty, Minister of State for the Home Office stating that basically photographers are in fact free to take photographs in public places etc. (hoping to post a scanned copy of the letter on the web soon).

I've now got a copy of that letter and also the Photographers Rights leaflet mentioned elsewhere printed out and carried in my camera bag in case of any 'issues' in the future.

Quite pleased with the result really as it's seems that the issue is getting brought up by more and more MP's with the Home Office. Perhaps something good might come out of this in the end.
15 May 2008 5:33PM
Sounds like something that would be useful for everyone to have a copy of... Can you publish it as a PDF ? Smile
shreds 12 1
15 May 2008 6:41PM
mark_delta 12 1.3k
15 May 2008 6:47PM

Quote:Jobsworths, so called, security guards are a major problem too.

No they are not !
You just need to learn one simple rule:
Miscellaneous rules for photographers: section 4b (Jobsworths)
No jobsworth likes to be photographed and will seldom hang around long enough for it to happen twice !
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
15 May 2008 7:54PM
I wonder what Phones4U do if you buy a camera phone off them and then try it out in the shop?

How can people who sell cameras have a no photography policy!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.