Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Passport photos

Debbiee 14 136 6 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2010 5:42PM
Hi my next door neighbour has just asked me to do some passport photos for him and just wanted to rack peoples brains on them.

I know they have to be against a white background and that he can't smile, but does anyone know what size they are meant to be? and can they be printed on any type of photo paper or does it have to be glossy, I only have pearl at home, would this be acceptable.

Thanks Debbie
16 Apr 2010 5:45PM
Henchard 16 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2010 5:49PM
Actually I'd go straight to the horses mouth (so to speak)
16 Apr 2010 5:58PM
Ok might be a bit more tricky then first thought, I always thought they had to be against a white background but the guide says cream or grey, not sure what I could use for this? oh well will go and have a look around there house and see if they have anything in the right colour to photograph them against? thanks for the link

Debbie
redsnappa 18 2.8k United Kingdom
16 Apr 2010 6:21PM
I've done loads of passport pix on white background and they've been not been rejected. The last one I don was 6 weeks ago.
Henchard 16 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2010 8:43PM
I think the requirement for a grey/cream background is now being enforced more strictly and the passport agency has tightened up considerably what is acceptable in the last six months.

There are also are new rules in the pipeline which will make home produced images unacceptable. I am given to understand that new rules will mean that the image MUST have a laminate finish and the back of one will carry the date and place of taking.
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2010 8:53PM

Quote:I think the requirement for a grey/cream background is now being enforced more strictly and the passport agency has tightened up considerably what is acceptable in the last six months.

I had my passport renewed this month using one of the little booths; white background, passed no problem.
Quote:
There are also are new rules in the pipeline which will make home produced images unacceptable. I am given to understand that new rules will mean that the image MUST have a laminate finish and the back of one will carry the date and place of taking.

That's just common sense really.
bppowell 19 2.2k 2 England
16 Apr 2010 9:21PM
If a grey background is what they ask for why risk the passport being rejected by sending one on a different background?

The 5 - 10% grey is easy enough to produce if you take the shot against a white wall.

The eye distance is little harder but if you have an editior with a ruler it can be done, just do not crop too close with the shot

Barry
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
17 Apr 2010 12:52AM
Tricky one this.

I was asked to do just this last year, so I looked on the internet for advice re, size, colour etc. and concluded that there was just too much likelihood of my getting it wrong.

The person concerned was only going to give me a fiver for my troubles, thinking it would be easy, so she eventually spent the fiver in a local photographic shop where she got about a dozen perfectly acceptable copies.

And as discreetphoton has said, the little booths in ASDA should be OK. I believe the seat can be arranged to position you in the correct place (?)

Just a thought.

Jester.
17 Apr 2010 8:12AM
Thanks I decided against doing the shots last night, I couldn't find anything to photograph him against and I didn't have the right paper to print it on to. I think they did end up going to asda or the likes as they went out soon after I said I couldn't do them and came back with some prints, didn't think it would be so complicated when I agreed to do them lol.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.