Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Paying countries for growing trees - climate change

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.7k 58 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2019 1:22PM
We pay globally for Oil & Gas, but we don't pay for clean air as its not a pipable asset.

With the UN discussing climate change for 2 weeks in spain why could the world bank not set an exchange rate tax based on the percentage of usable land not devoted to trees? The tax collected could go to reforestation programs.
Planting more trees will help - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/04/planting-billions-trees-best-tackle-climate-crisis-scientists-canopy-emissions
Yes there are some push back considerations - https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/we-cant-just-plant-billions-of-trees-to-stop-climate-change

Do you have any other ideas COP25 should think about?

Traditional landscape photography would not be quite the same though as vast canopies filled our viewfinders.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2019 2:28PM
maybe lead by example and stop having all these international junkets to discuss the problem and start making use of internet / web conferencing instead?

There are vast sums of money and CO2 costs involved in such sessions, not only from all the candidates but also the world press caravan and other hangers on who spend their lives travelling the globe to join in.

Also, provide clear and open information on which nations are the main polluters and which are doing the most (rather than talking about it the most) to resolve the problems. A bit of naming and shaming could help no end

Spend a bit more time and money on using technology to reduce the impact of the changes that are going to happen rather than concentrating on how to prevent future climate change (good use for the money saved by stopping all the international events?)

Also, look to capitalise on the benefits that climate change can provide, its not only negative

just a few random thoughts to start Smile
2 Dec 2019 7:56PM

Quote:Also, provide clear and open information on which nations are the main polluters and which are doing the most (rather than talking about it the most) to resolve the problems. A bit of naming and shaming could help no end

Agreed...anybody followed a bus or lorry in India, or Zimbabwe..??

Why is it always us in the “west” who cop it...
2 Dec 2019 8:13PM
parts of the EU could stand closer examination too, particularly with regard to the reliance on coal.

I doubt it will ever happen though, "Turkeys and Christmas" springs to mind
Fma7 4 1.0k United Kingdom
2 Dec 2019 10:57PM
Some interesting charts here
3 Dec 2019 7:17AM
thanks for the chart, very interesting indeed and it rather puts into context how little impact crippling our economy in the rush to become carbon free would have on the global system (note, I am not suggesting we shouldn't do anything but it does suggest that our politicians of all parties may be more interested in flagging green virtue than addressing the major sources of the problem )

Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
4 Dec 2019 10:01AM
In the 1970's there was concern about world over-population. I recall seeing an article in The New Scientist showing what the UK would be like in future if the population grew to 100M, 1000M or was reduced to 10M. The 1000M was skyscrapers everywhere with very little open space. The 10M was a pleasant rural environment for all. Whatever happened to this topic? I suspect most of the problems we have now are directly due to over-population but don't ask me for a solution.

Dave
JackAllTog Plus
4 Dec 2019 1:07PM
With population set to grow by most projections then unless we limit/sterilise/expense some people, we will have to deal with more people. Mitigating the impact by trees may give us more time to develop other strategies - space travel off the planet, Ground heat pumps for heating, better building for insulation in cold climates or better cooling for warm climates.
I guess building big tunnel from the sahara desert to cold countries and providing warm air hearing is unpractical.
Putting large data centres in cold climates is already being done.

I guess we create cO2 by heating & cooling buildings, burning coal etc to generate electric power, and some through agriculture green house gasses. So finding new sources is key.
4 Dec 2019 3:00PM

Quote:In the 1970's there was concern about world over-population. I recall seeing an article in The New Scientist showing what the UK would be like in future if the population grew to 100M, 1000M or was reduced to 10M. The 1000M was skyscrapers everywhere with very little open space. The 10M was a pleasant rural environment for all. Whatever happened to this topic? I suspect most of the problems we have now are directly due to over-population but don't ask me for a solution.

Dave

I have one approach to thinking about this subject but it won't fit in with modern thinking:

- many people are worried about the over use of antibiotics and other medications, so if we go back to the good old days and stop using them it will solve some of the over population naturally

- there is also much worry about the increasing number of old people, who it is reported, consume an unfair portion of our available resources so, why not stop trying to increase our lifespans by telling what we can't eat and drink, pumping us full of medications and insisting on prolonging life at the expense of quality of life. That should help reduce the over-population and resource consumption (and cheer up many of my age Smile )

- we are constantly developing more and more advanced techniques to enable the survival of those who only a few decades ago would not be able to live, why not stop this work and let nature take its course - another part of the problem solved

and so on

the solutions are there but they bring difficult moral and ethical dilemmas BUT as climate change becomes a more urgent problem and the population accelerates faster I suspect they will have to be addressed, rather than as at present, being kicked into the long grass by successive government who fear the consequences if they try to have a rational debate on the subject with the electorate
JackAllTog Plus
4 Dec 2019 3:53PM
I think we place so much value on the the sanctity of life - be it our own, our loved ones or 'those poor deserving souls we relate with' - that we will never actively promote death over life. This is a non starter for most of the human spirit.

So instead lets employ our skills to promote improving the life of all before we resort to killing whatever random groups we decide to devalue for altruistic reasons.
Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
5 Dec 2019 10:04AM
While there is little doubt that the planet would be a better place if the population was say 10% of what it is currently. Those living would not have to be so concerned about the environment or running out of key resources. This is not going to happen unless there is a catastrophic world war or deadly new disease. At a recent lecture I attended on this topic at a Science Festival, it seemed that there is another way. The population is not accelerating and will level out to 9bn by 2050 and should then fall back to about 6 bn. Providing, the world continues to adopt reduced carbon and develop green energy, we should be OK. This also relies on those countries who have high birth rates or are high polluters dealing with this. The reduction in birth rate seems to occur naturally as populations move from an entirely rural economy to a more industrial based economy. This does not seem to address the shortage of raw material but mining asteroids etc. may be feasible in future.

In reality, we may end up with a combination of reducing population, managing the planet along side a few serious wars or diseases. A cheery subject.

Dave
dcash29 14 2.4k England
5 Dec 2019 6:46PM
Reducing the worlds population is the answer

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.