Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Paying to be on a recommended suppliers list?

trivets12 17 1.3k
15 May 2015 9:13PM
An up and coming, very lovely venue in my area has advertised a wedding fayre next month. I emailed them, as I photographed there last year, and said I would very much like to be one of their recommended suppliers.
They sent me a very lovely reply listing their fayres and suppliers etc, and said they would be very happy to add me to their recommended suppliers list - on payment of 195 + vat!
This will include:
A full page listing in their brochure
A section on their website
Automatic inclusion in their wedding fayres
Gallery with full accreditation.
I was slightly surprised that they asked for payment for this as I'd not heard of this before.
Is this, generally, what venues do?
Do you think it's worth it?
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
15 May 2015 10:05PM
I'm no pro, so I'm speaking from the outside looking in, but it sounds like you getting a a lot of promotion for not much money...
Snapper 16 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
15 May 2015 10:17PM

Quote:I'm no pro, so I'm speaking from the outside looking in, but it sounds like you getting a a lot of promotion for not much money...

+1 on that thought!
lemmy 14 2.9k United Kingdom
16 May 2015 4:45PM
Not very fair to wedding couples, is it? You become a recommended photographer by giving this company some money? It reminds me of WH Smiths, where they have a book of the week. Critically acclaimed? A great author? entertaining? No, none of those. No one at Smiths reads it. It is Book of the Week because they publishers paid for it to be so. It's a con.

Get a few of what seem typical wedding photographers these days, anyone who can afford a DSLR and hold it the right way round, on that place's recommended list and a 'proper' wedding photographer is lumped right in there with them. It's a breach of trust, unfair and unprofessional.
alansnap 17 577 26 United Kingdom
16 May 2015 4:57PM
It's just a trade fair (God I hate "Fayre"). It's part of your marketing for your business. I go to similar events in the UK for our IT consultancy. We look at it as a an investment and a chance to meet potential clients. 195 + VAT seems good value and it's being quoted ex VAT as there is an assumption that you will be VAT registered. You don't have to be, but it is a business to business transaction. If you sign up then you need to take a really good portfolio and I would suggest you spend another 80- 100 on a pop up stand with your details, your website etc and a cracking photo on it. If you're treating your photography as a business, part time or not then you should be taking opportunities like this seriously.
As for it not being fair on punters, this is a chance to show punters what you're capable of.
All the best,
Alan
mikehit 12 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
18 May 2015 8:49AM
Liek Alan I have met this before with conferences in another industry and I think on the face of it is sounds like pretty good advertising. But our company is looking to sell to other suppliers not the end user so the question is who will get their hands on the brochure?
If it is supplier-to-supplier I doubt it is of much use at all because a venue is likely to have their own preferred vendors already ('preferred' = some sort of mutual back-scratching arrangement). You want to reach the people who are attending the fair to buy a wedding dress, book a venue etc (and maybe a photographer).

If you have a tight advertising budget it may not be worth it. If you can afford to 'lose' 195 then I would give it a punt.

Evertonian 8 729 England
18 May 2015 9:02AM
So any beginner can ring up, spend 195 and be recommended as an expert wedding photographer.
peterjones 19 5.2k 1 United Kingdom
18 May 2015 3:05PM

Quote:So any beginner can ring up, spend 195 and be recommended as an expert wedding photographer.

Yup ....that reflects much of today's wedding photography market.
18 May 2015 3:07PM

Quote:So any beginner can ring up, spend 195 and be recommended as an expert wedding photographer.

I don't see any reference to 'expert', nor to 'expert wedding photographer'. The 195 is to be a 'recommended supplier' - or, in different language, a sponsor of the organisation.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
18 May 2015 4:52PM
Yes but don't forget, that wedding photographers of old were born holding two cameras and a portfolio gained in the womb.

One things for certain, Trudy, if you don't go for it, someone else will. If you think the price represents value to your business, then take their offer.
User_Removed 6 1.0k United Kingdom
18 May 2015 9:03PM
Too many replies to read but I have to agree with LEMMY

How the """"""""" can any magazine say you or anyone is good just by paying for an advert.

God help the people who hire on THAT

HOW good ARE YOU, do you have the experience, quality, all the insurances Public liability/ indemnity, back up gear,

Alansnap plus is also spot on
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
18 May 2015 9:35PM
195 for an ad like that seems pretty good value.... god knows what their business is like, if they get 1 wedding a year, then it's not worth bothering with. If they get 5 a week... quids in!

very amusing reading all the answers above by the way....

how very dare you dare to even dare to think of daring to advertise the fact that you can take photos of a wedding Wink
18 May 2015 9:40PM

Quote:T

How the """"""""" can any magazine say you or anyone is good

For goodness sake, stop being so sanctimonious. The magazine is passing no judgement on the person at all: they are simply saying 'give us 195 and we will give you prime advertising space'. How is that any different to paying for an advert in a newspaper?
Are you saying no-one should be able to advertise unless they reach some mythical ethical standard?
Evertonian 8 729 England
19 May 2015 11:11AM

Quote:
Quote:T

How the """"""""" can any magazine say you or anyone is good

For goodness sake, stop being so sanctimonious. The magazine is passing no judgement on the person at all: they are simply saying 'give us 195 and we will give you prime advertising space'. How is that any different to paying for an advert in a newspaper?
Are you saying no-one should be able to advertise unless they reach some mythical ethical standard?

Such an advertisment could be seen as an endorsment of the skills on offer. Put yourself in the position of the reader looking for a photographer to manage your wedding day. You accept the endorsment and have a disaster on your hands. Could the magazine producer / owner be sued for complicity to provide inadequate services or failing to ensure the quality on offer at their venue?
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
19 May 2015 11:19AM
No.
They sell advertising space. It's no different to a local newspaper running an 'editorial' on planning a wedding and surrounding it with adverts.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.