Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

PayPal versus Credit Card (online purchases)

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Discussion has run its course and going nowhere

chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
6 Oct 2019 6:31AM

Quote:I have, in fact, had this 1 debited when just renewing an expired card and without any corresponding purchase transaction taking place at that time. Or just simply adding another card.

I don't recall Paypal doing the take a pound and give it back trick on simply updating a card's expiry date, only when it's a new card.
It happened to me recently when Tesco Bank renewed my debit card - but with a different card number, not just a new expiry date, so Paypal understandably saw it as a new card. As usual, they charged me a pound and put a code number against the transaction for me to enter once I got my statement (or looked online) to verify that the card was indeed mine. They then refunded the pound straightaway.

I wonder if they did it to you on renewing a card because, maybe, it had been expired for some time and wasn't an update to a current card?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_L 5 5.2k United Kingdom
8 Oct 2019 11:21PM
Even though more of you have posted to confirm that the 1 charge is simply a PayPal check that the card is yours, including JustJas mentioning it again Len is still insisting that you are all wrong and that: "The 1 is a provisional debit to keep the credit card transaction 'open for the full amount' once the credit card company has accepted the card transaction has been made by the credit card user, and the user has funds available to pay the transaction - and is usually kept open until the goods are despatched which is when the full amount is usually taken." Does anyone agree with Len?
chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
9 Oct 2019 6:32AM

Quote:Even though more of you have posted to confirm that the 1 charge is simply a PayPal check that the card is yours, including JustJas mentioning it again Len is still insisting that you are all wrong and that: "The 1 is a provisional debit to keep the credit card transaction 'open for the full amount' once the credit card company has accepted the card transaction has been made by the credit card user, and the user has funds available to pay the transaction - and is usually kept open until the goods are despatched which is when the full amount is usually taken." Does anyone agree with Len?

I certainly don't - at least not from my experience. They only take a pound if I add a new card, with no other transaction.
They include a code in the transaction reference which, when I see it on a statement or online banking, I enter on Paypal to validate the card and they then refund it.
They have NEVER taken a pound when I'm making a payment, they take the whole amount - the only time they don't is where the retailer doesn't draw against the transaction until they've made up the order and confirmed that all items were in stock or, in the case of weighed items, confirmed the true price.
I guess in such cases Paypal probably do reserve the whole amount (not just a pound) and turn it into a real transaction when the retailer tells them the true value but I can't confirm that because I've never got the bank account so low that further transactions might be more than I have available.
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
9 Oct 2019 8:37AM

Quote:Even though more of you have posted to confirm that the 1 charge is simply a PayPal check that the card is yours, including JustJas mentioning it again Len is still insisting that you are all wrong and that: "The 1 is a provisional debit to keep the credit card transaction 'open for the full amount' once the credit card company has accepted the card transaction has been made by the credit card user, and the user has funds available to pay the transaction - and is usually kept open until the goods are despatched which is when the full amount is usually taken." Does anyone agree with Len?

Does anybody agree with YOU?

I have NOT said what you claim.

I am satisfied that I have said where a transaction is agreed but cannot be immediately delivered, the 1 remains until the item is ready for delivery. This may be in conjunction with an outstanding item debit logged against funds available on the card to ensure funds are available so that payment can be made when goods are ready for dispatch.

This is a common practice with many retailers.
10 Oct 2019 6:54AM
So nobody agrees with you and in fact they disagree with you, agreeing with me that the 1 charge is simply PayPal's way of checking new cards.

In response to your continued insistence that it is something else Peter Jones said: "Some of us must be using a different version of Paypal; I have never witnessed a 1 debit or credit on any transaction I have made or received via PP apart from the one off 1 to validate my credit card"

JustJas said "I have, in fact, had this 1 debited when just renewing an expired card and without any corresponding purchase transaction taking place at that time. Or just simply adding another card".

Now Chris Maddock says whether he agrees with your theory "I certainly don't - at least not from my experience. They only take a pound if I add a new card, with no other transaction."

You say I am misrepresenting your claim. This is what I said you said

250184_1570686402.jpg

You are insisting that you didn't say that, but you did, just a couple of pages back, here:

250184_1570686458.jpg

and you have again tried to say the PayPal 1 charge is for other than validating cards. You can't quote one poster who says you're right. You are posting disinformation.
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
10 Oct 2019 8:09AM
Has this discussion run its full course and is now just going round in circles getting nowhere ?
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
10 Oct 2019 9:38AM

Quote:

Peter Jones said: "Some of us must be using a different version of Paypal; I have never witnessed a 1 debit or credit on any transaction I have made or received via PP apart from the one off 1 to validate my credit card"

JustJas said "I have, in fact, had this 1 debited when just renewing an expired card and without any corresponding purchase transaction taking place at that time. Or just simply adding another card".

Now Chris Maddock says whether he agrees with your theory "I certainly don't - at least not from my experience. They only take a pound if I add a new card, with no other transaction."

What you do not (or perhaps are not prepared to) accept is

1/ a 1 charge is not exclusive to Paypal

2/ It is uncommon to order goods (or services) via Paypal which are not held ready for delivery - though it is common elsewhere - and the goods or service provider wants to be sure payment will be forthcoming when goods are ready for delivery or when the cost of services is known.

As another poster succinctly put it as to when a 1 provisional and temporary charge might be raised "Has this discussion run its full course and is now just going round in circles getting nowhere ?".

If you want to continue to go round in circles as top when a nominal amount of 1 might initially be raised it is your right - though I will not be responding.
10 Oct 2019 11:20AM
We've gone full circle twice now Grin That's Len's second promise to shut up about it.
gaelldew 12 374 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2019 5:06PM

Quote:Has this discussion run its full course and is now just going round in circles getting nowhere ?

Totally agree and about time both agreed to shut up.