Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

PC monitors for photo editing

tavm 14 31 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2008 8:49PM
My trusted CRT monitor gave up, fizzed and died today. I think my wife poured something on it so we can get one with a smaller foot print.
I need some advice... In my experience when I have processed pictures using a TFT monitor the results look VERY different when viewed on the CRT. I have used CS2 on a pc at work, been happy with the results, then when opened at home the images have been quite poor.
Does anyone have any recommendations or knowledge about such things as I am an absolute dunce in this area. Budget is reasonable but not crazy.
Thanks to anyone who as time to reply.
Kris_Dutson 19 8.2k 1 England
21 Feb 2008 9:10PM
Samsung 226BW 22" widescreen, under 200 sovs from ebuyer. I have one, and so do several people on here, and we're all chuffed to bits with them.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
21 Feb 2008 10:00PM
Leaving a gap so the software stops putting a capital' 'i' where it's not needed -

iiYama 20" or 22" - 135 through175 sovs... Have to say though - the Samsung contrast ratio is very, VERY good.
kokobrown 17 1.9k Scotland
21 Feb 2008 10:41PM
AOC 22 inch 210S model.

179 online. Great monitor. Has always been very good in photoshop and the prints come out exactly how they look on screen.

Lovely and sleek too!

Laura x
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
21 Feb 2008 11:10PM
IF you want serious colour matching a decent TFT is not going to be cheap.....!

Bottom line. Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP 20.1" Performance LCD.

Mid Point.Dell Ultrasharp 2208WFP "Limited Edition" 22" Widescreen
OR
Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP-HC 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor
OR
Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP-HC 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor

All available from www.overclockers.co.uk

IF you want serious, And I do mean serious colour matching capability, You really got to look at the """" EIZO """" range of professional monitors......Just pick the one that fits your budget......Smile

Although I'd recommend the Eizo ColorEdge CE210W, currently available from Warehouse Express at 740.....inc......very very nice.....Smile
kokobrown 17 1.9k Scotland
21 Feb 2008 11:22PM
Or a La Cie.. thats a serious bit of kit!!

L x
skeletor 17 1.7k England
21 Feb 2008 11:50PM

Quote:In my experience when I have processed pictures using a TFT monitor the results look VERY different when viewed on the CRT. I have used CS2 on a pc at work, been happy with the results, then when opened at home the images have been quite poor.

You don't say whether these monitors were calibrated...I'm guessing they weren't.
When budgeting for a new monitor allow at least 60 for calibration.

BTW Another happy Samsung 226BW user Smile

Steve
kit-monster 18 3.7k 2 Singapore
22 Feb 2008 8:06AM
I second the Dell's. I had one at work and liked it so much, I bought one for myself.

As for overclockers - I used them for years and was pretty happy with them. Went as far as to recommend them to others. Unfortunately, their customer service is appalling. If anything goes wrong with your order, don't expect to be able to speak to anyone, don't expect anyone to respond to your email for at least a week and when they do get in touch, in all likelihood, it will be rude and unhelpful. I've experienced this myself and so have two people I recommended them too.
tavm 14 31 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2008 1:16PM
cheers guys.
No the TFTs I have used have not been calibrated. Again I will no doubt need assistance with this.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.