Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

pen-f switching off

meyeview 11 1.4k 1 United Kingdom
25 May 2017 2:00PM
it would appear that the recent 'update' for the Pen-f has, effectively, ruined it.
the power shuts off and will only come back on if you take out the battery and re-insert it.
Olympus seems to be in denial and have not answered any of my messages, emails or tweets.

Come on Olympus, own up and fix it. otherwise i will be looking for a refund for rendering my camera unusable. this is a breach of the sale of goods act. NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE.

give me back my excellent camera, please.
25 May 2017 4:31PM
just spoke to christopher at olympus technical support. he told me that my problem was not his field and that i should send the camera in for the tech guys to look at. i had to remind him that his number was for tech support.
he seemed oblivious to the issue but i know i am not the only person affected. he said he will have to phone me back.
i will not be holding my breath.
joshwa Plus
10 927 1 United Kingdom
26 May 2017 8:21AM
I've read that other people have had the same problem with the latest firmware update for the PEN-F and E-M5 Mark II.

Some have suggested it happens more often with the screen turned inwards.
26 May 2017 9:15AM
olympus have finally contacted me. they say that they are unaware of the issue??????
i am waiting for a phone call. (again) fingers crossed someone will actually call.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
26 May 2017 10:36AM
I shall avoid updating - thanks for the heads up! Smile
26 May 2017 11:50AM
they have, now, admitted to having a problem. strangely they didn't know yesterday but their software people are working on it.
26 May 2017 1:43PM
never speak to olympus technical support.
they treat you as if it is your fault that they broke your camera.
26 May 2017 11:45PM
I too have this problem. I thought it was a dead battery but had to take out and replace battery. Thanks for the heads up. I too await Olympus remedy. Sooner rather than later please
27 May 2017 9:39AM
Update.....camera seems to be working now. Switches on and off. Maybe battery removal aided a reset?
How often has this been happening? I have an XZ1 and two E-M5 Mk1 bodies. They all have a history of having these "fits", usually months apart. The first aid is to half pull out the battery to disconnect it and push the battery back in again, at which point the camera wakes up and carries on normally, as if nothing had happened. Sometimes it takes more than one battery disconnection and re-connection to reset the camera. Thanks for the warning about the firmware updates.
27 May 2017 8:56PM
Happened the once so far. But I'll take on board your remarks and monitor my camera. Thanks for the information
ouwolf 4 2
1 Jun 2017 3:07PM
I have had the same experience for the last 3 days- bought the Pen F new in February and no issues at all. Powers off, remove battery, insert battery and then works again for a few shots or even a few hours. Waiting for response from Olympus,
1 Jun 2017 3:13PM

Quote:I have had the same experience for the last 3 days- bought the Pen F new in February and no issues at all. Powers off, remove battery, insert battery and then works again for a few shots or even a few hours. Waiting for response from Olympus,

best of luck getting a reply.

due to the way i was spoken to and the lack of help from olympus i took my penf back for a refund.
selling my lenses on ebay, soon.

contact David Munns at .... complaints@olympus-europa.com
feel free to mention my name and where you saw this thread.
ouwolf 4 2
4 Jun 2017 1:51PM
Local agents reported that one of their staff members had a similar issue - resolved it by changing the SD card- I did the same and, touch wood, it seems to be working.
4 Jun 2017 2:00PM

Quote:Local agents reported that one of their staff members had a similar issue - resolved it by changing the SD card- I did the same and, touch wood, it seems to be working.

my retailer took my camera back and i exchanged it for another brand.
there is a definite fault with the firmware update. olympus admitted it to me in an email.
keep your eyes open for some news regarding this.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.