Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Perceptions of a photographers gender.

mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
7 Jul 2012 8:50PM

Quote:Are there more nasty people in the world now than there was in the 70s, 80s?

No but there is greatly more media inspired paranoia.

Yiou have it in one I bet if we saw the child abductions from 50 years ago they would be the same or possibly less than in this safety obsessed world we live in,lets face it the pervs out there can get there kicks on thousands of internet sites they dont have to photograph kids in public

Several reports have shown that the risk of child abduction/abuse has not risen in the last 70 odd years but concern and awareness about it has. And the sad fact is that a vast majority of such cases are committed by members of the family, not strangers. One of the shocks about the Portsmouth (?) care worker last year was that women are often complicit in the cases yet the perception still exists that it is men who are the danger.
monkeygrip 12 574 6 England
8 Jul 2012 7:52PM
If the police where just interested they could have had a chat with me and I would have been very happy to have them involved even pushing for a photo with them and the little model.

It was clearly 3 officers positioning themselves to keep an eye on what I was doing but as I said just good policing making sure the child was safe.

I don't think they would have bothered if I was a woman.

Paul, I feel very conscious when shooting my own kids too I guess it's just the world we live in.
8 Jul 2012 8:13PM
On the other hand...maybe because you just carried on, and didn't shuffle off nervously was reassurance for them, just making sure....or the monthly quota of speeding motorists was already achieved and they were at a loose end... Wink
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
8 Jul 2012 8:21PM

Quote:Paul, I feel very conscious when shooting my own kids too I guess it's just the world we live in

This was taken more than twenty years ago, you could let your kids run around and snap them to your hearts content, no one ever bated an eyelid.

How many parents would let there kids run around like this these days, how would parents react seeing someone near by with a camera, these are sad times.

https://www.ephotozine.com/user/paul-morgan-599/gallery/photo/the-simple-things-in-life-13988357
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
8 Jul 2012 8:35PM
every copper I've spoken to in Leeds has been "interested" rather than "concerned" - I usually have a good laugh with them.

I've yet to ask to borrow their helmets for the model to wear... working up to that one Wink

I've had cracking shots of kids playing in bradford's city park... you have to be a bit discrete and covert about it, shooting from the hip sometimes, or long lenses to get well away, but it can be done. Despite all the propaganda and photographer-hate, it's not breaking any laws...
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
8 Jul 2012 10:26PM

Quote:every copper I've spoken to in Leeds has been "interested" rather than "concerned

Human just like the rest of us Ade Smile
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
9 Jul 2012 10:35AM

Quote:It was clearly 3 officers positioning themselves

Obviously it needed 3 of them in case they had to wrestle you to the ground! Grin Great use of taxpayers' money...................

Quote:the monthly quota of speeding motorists was already achieved and they were at a loose end

Quite!
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
9 Jul 2012 10:48AM
Oddly enough, it's usually male officers who are interested with model shoots Wink
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
9 Jul 2012 10:57AM
Stu should have said to them: "Move along there........... nothing to see here!" Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.