Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Perils of none-UK purchases

4 Aug 2014 11:08AM
Ever one for making a saving, I have purchased a Panasonic Lumix LF1 from a Hong Kong based supplier and it now looks like warranty issues involve sending my camera back there! I didn't realise this and should have checked more carefully. There is a risk of loss, the expense and time lost that make this look like a bad idea! Never again for me! I shall purchase in the UK and pay that little bit more for peace of mind.

However, I still need to resolve my issue with the camera (i.e. not able to set up image transfer via wi-fi as the menus on-screen don't work). I'm pleading my case with Panasonic UK to see if they will be willing to help!

In the mean-time can anyone suggest a good forum to contact to try and resolve this ...maybe this one?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ChrisV 8 1.1k 26 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2014 11:28AM
I don't have an LF1, but I do have several other Panasonic cameras that have WiFi transfer functions.

Once you get the knack those do work well, but it can be a bit tricky initially depending on what sort of device you have. What problem are you having specifically? What are you wanting to transfer to?

I think if the LF1 has NFC it's pretty simple to contact NFC enabled devices, but none of the Apple products support this, so it is a little more fiddly to set up. It does sound like a software issue - either something you're missing or a glitch. There is an outside chance the WiFi circuitry is faulty, but that seems unlikely - I would imagine you should be able to sort this out without the necessity of returning to HK.

It is fairly rare to have hardware problems in the first year, but when it happens hindsight always makes you regret buying abroad. On the subject of which you could always say you'd bought it on a visit - I imagine there is a world-wide warranty on Panasonic products although they would have the right to ask if the correct duties were paid - which is where you could come unstuck.

Let's hope we can sort your problem out the easy way...
4 Aug 2014 1:19PM
Many thanks for your response.

I'm trying to transfer images from my LF1 to a PC. The problem is that the steps set out in the owner's manual don't work in that once the camera is turned on and the wi-fi button pushed, I am not presented with the correct screen and the cursor button does not have any effect when trying to select.

I have copied below a message that I sent to Panasonic UK (after they sent me some advice) and I then followed up with a call-centre inquiry. They were not able to resolve the issue and said they couldn't help any more when it became apparent that this was a none-uk import. Below, I have annotated their instructions with type (Capitals).

Any further help would be great!

Press the Wi-Fi button of the camera (the right button on top of the display).
[THIS WORKS]

Use cursor button to select New Connection, and then press [MENU/SET] -
[INITIAL SCREEN RELATES TO SMART PHONE AND 'NEW CONNECTION' CANNOT BE SELECTED SO REMAINING INSTRUCTIONS CANNOT BE FOLLOWED. THE CURSOR BUTTON DOES NOT ALLOW ANY MENU SELECTION AT THIS POINT]

Use cursor button to select Send Images Stored in the Camera, and then press [MENU/SET] Use cursor button to select PC and press [MENU/SET] Select Via Network to connect Select the PC you want to connect to. If the PC you want to connect to does not display, select Manual Input. Select the folder you want to send. Select SINGLE or MULTI, depending on the number of pictures you would like to send.

[I AM TRYING TO SET UP PICTURE TRANSFER VIA WI-FI]
sherlob Plus
9 2.6k 126 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2014 1:42PM
Just a thought, but is there a firmware update available for your camera?
4 Aug 2014 2:49PM
I may be wrong, but I think you have to log your PC on the camera's wi-fi network before you can do transfers.

(You might get better response posting under "problems connecting Lumix LF1 for wi-fi transfer to PC", rather than the topic you created)
4 Aug 2014 2:58PM
Ah... a PC [I'm a mac user].

I am guessing you need to go into your WiFi settings and [once you've activated the WiFi on your camera] make sure the PC is connected to that 'network'. It may then be that the menu item will be activated and your PC will be seen as a 'discoverable device'. You will probably then need to input a code which will be provided by the camera to allow the connection. Sorry I'm a bit vague on these things because there are differences and Windows doesn't necessarily make it easy, but the principles should be the same.

IT call centres in my experience will be happy to have an excuse not to work things through with you. How did they find out the camera was non-UK? I wouldn't have told them that myself - I doubt there's any difference to most of the functions -mostly it's just a different plug and sometimes there's difference over PAL or NTSC for video [doesn't matter too much these days]. Standard warranty is usually worldwide as people now travel so widely. The grey import thing is a bit of a smokescreen because of course you could have legitimately bought the camera on a visit to another country. Duty issues don't after all directly affect the manufacturer in these circumstances.
lemmy 8 2.3k United Kingdom
4 Aug 2014 3:11PM
I don't have an LF1 but most Panasonic MFTs are all the same so probably similar to the LF1 as well.

As a first measure, go to your Setup menu and see if you have 'Reset Wi-Fi Settings' there. Do that and at least you are starting from a clean beginning.

I don't imagine Panasonic UK will help you. Their prices here include warranty costs, dealer profits and import duty. By buying from HK you have by-passed their warranty and registration system and have bypassed those costs. Plus, customs duty on the camera would normally be about 50. You may have paid that but if not you would be asking Panasonic to work on an illegally imported item, which they obliviously cannot do.

I'm not making any point here! Try my suggestion and see if it helps.
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2014 3:30PM
A simple question, but does your PC have Wi-Fi? Not all PC's have Wi-Fi fitted.
4 Aug 2014 4:07PM

Quote:
I don't imagine Panasonic UK will help you. Their prices here include warranty costs, dealer profits and import duty. By buying from HK you have by-passed their warranty and registration system and have bypassed those costs. Plus, customs duty on the camera would normally be about 50. You may have paid that but if not you would be asking Panasonic to work on an illegally imported item, which they obliviously cannot do.

I'm not making any point here! Try my suggestion and see if it helps.

With all due respect Dave, those costs [for warranty and so on] will be in the wholesale price to the supplier, regardless of who or where they are. I'd be very surprised indeed if any VAT or duty went to the manufacturer - it's a matter between the consumer and the relevant duty office. That's why most warranties are world-wide. Avoiding taxation is illegal [unless of course if you're a major multi - national in which case only evading it is illegal].

Panasonic may be on legally doubtful ground if they offer support to something they know is imported illegally, but there are more greys than one around all this. They know of course the customer is hardly likely to complain if they haven't paid duty.

All that aside, a thought's just occurred to me. Even if you do have WiFi on your PC [and I'm assuming you [the OP] know you do], you still need to have some sort of software installed that allows you to transfer or control your camera. I've just connected my EM1 successfully to my Mac at work - or at least the Mac's seen it and prompted me for the password. It doesn't help a lot though because I've no software to tether or even receive files for the camera - Aperture doesn't see it as a potential tethered device [although it can see my iPhone]. I've never used it in that way because the Apps designed for the purpose SFAIK are iOS or Android. So I have controlled several cameras from my iPhone and iPads, but never directly to the Mac.

To the OP - are you sure that WiFi control/transfer is actually supported by the PC? It very possibly isn't...
hobbo Plus
4 940 2 England
4 Aug 2014 4:54PM
Would the staff at a branch of......The London Camera Exchange.....be willing to help you?

You might have to offer to pay them.....or, they might be keen to help if not busy.

HOBBO
4 Aug 2014 5:18PM
There's a similar question being asked on the computers forum [the difference being it's for a Canon camera] and it appears it is possible to transfer images to Mac/PC wirelessly. I've just looked in my GH3 manual and it is hypothetically possible with that camera which [I think] was one of the earliest Panasonics to feature built in WiFi. It does look a pretty complex process though.

I can't help thinking that if all you want to do is transfer files to a Mac or PC, it would be much easier [and probably a lot quicker] to just use an SD slot or card reader. I expect the WiFi is aimed more at transferring or controlling via a smartphone or tablet, because that is genuinely useful/not achievable easily otherwise and fits in with the whole 'web-connected' ethos of uploading to the internet on the fly and that sort of thing. I have found the function genuinely useful whereas it's never occurred to me before now to use it to get images onto my Mac. To be honest I can't see much that's compelling about that...
lemmy 8 2.3k United Kingdom
4 Aug 2014 6:42PM

Quote:you still need to have some sort of software installed that allows you to transfer or control your camera

I take your point about the sales and warranty but I do know that if you try to register an item with Panasonic (or Olympus) it will only accept serials from officially imported stuff. How do I know? I said I wan't making a point Wink

I must say if I was a dealer I'd be very unhappy if someone who'd bought from Hong Kong got the same warranty service as someone who bought in Europe. If a maker did that, they'd be undercutting their own dealers.

Re the GH3 and setting up Wi-Fi, no, takes a few minutes and from there on is a couple of menu presses. If your desktop has Wi-Fi you can connect direct to it if you want, as you do to iPad, Android phones etc. My computer has cable connection to my router, so I connect through the router. You can't tether to a desktop but when you can control everything and shoot from your tablet, who'd want to?

Actually I use the Wi-Fi connection all the time at home. I'm often shooting stuff for my videos and books and I just use Send As Taken. It means all my stuff is neatly on my machine when I go to it but also I can check out the images on a big monitor if necessary.

Yes, you can put a card in a reader on the desktop but given that it takes little time to connect, to have the camera transferring files to your desktop all the time you are working is very useful. I just shoot away and then go to my desktop and there it all is.
Ross_D 1 347 1 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2014 8:45PM
I have provided a link that takes you to a review of the LF 1. You will need to scroll down just below half way to the section 'Lumix LF1 Wi-Fi and NFC' . It is quite detailed which is why I didn't copy and paste. Might help, might not Wink

LUMIX REVIEW
5 Aug 2014 12:41AM

Quote:

Re the GH3 and setting up Wi-Fi, no, takes a few minutes and from there on is a couple of menu presses. If your desktop has Wi-Fi you can connect direct to it if you want, as you do to iPad, Android phones etc. My computer has cable connection to my router, so I connect through the router. You can't tether to a desktop but when you can control everything and shoot from your tablet, who'd want to?

Actually I use the Wi-Fi connection all the time at home. I'm often shooting stuff for my videos and books and I just use Send As Taken. It means all my stuff is neatly on my machine when I go to it but also I can check out the images on a big monitor if necessary.

Yes, you can put a card in a reader on the desktop but given that it takes little time to connect, to have the camera transferring files to your desktop all the time you are working is very useful. I just shoot away and then go to my desktop and there it all is.

I must admit I hadn't really thought of it that way. Whilst I don't think it's a pivotal feature like full WiFi control is, I suppose that is damn useful - as Chris L in the computer forum has also pointed out. I'll
Have to investigate using my Mac in that way. What do you use software wise for automatic transfer? Is it just set from the camera to a target folder? Can you use it simultaneously with iPad control?
Steppenwolf 3 1.2k
5 Aug 2014 8:37AM
I haven't had trouble with connecting a camera's Wi-Fi up but I remember spending many frustrating hours/days trying to get a Samsung PVR connected. The instructions were useless and the helpline was a waste of time. In the end I solved it by trial and error. I think the problem is that there are so many different protocols/versions etc that it's probably hard to write definitive instructions for every possibility. Even if you'd bought it in the UK I doubt if the support would have been much help. As has been said I doubt very much if it's a camera fault.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.