Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Perseid Meteor Shower

AlexandraSD 8 762 United Kingdom
11 Aug 2015 5:11PM
Anyone else waiting for the clouds to part tonight for the peak of the Perseid Meteor shower?

174066_1439308668.jpg

i went out late last night/early morning to have a go, had to drive all the way to Gayton in Norfolk but by then the sky was getting lighter, but it shows how much can be captured even with an extreme fisheye lens; the galaxy Andromeda can clearly be seen just above the constellation of cassiopeia, might even try to capture that galaxy using a longer focal length if the chance arises tonight.

Anyway for the vast majority of us, it looks like clear skies tongiht bbc perseid meteor weather prediction not so clear here at the moment but im hoping it clears up soon!

All going well, i will be out tonight all the way to morning, possibly cruising between west norfolk and north norfolk, start at cromer and work my way westwards towards home, though i am tempted to visit castle acre priory for some scenic flashgun nihgtscapes using the ruins as foreground interest, but we will see!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Fma7 4 1.0k United Kingdom
11 Aug 2015 6:05PM
What were the exposure settings for this Alexandra?
jembo 15 139 United Kingdom
11 Aug 2015 6:46PM
I will be having a look later - at the moment a biy cloudy in Kidderminster Sad
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
11 Aug 2015 6:50PM
Raining here.

The number of meteors is due to peak tomorrow night apparently.
11 Aug 2015 7:45PM

Quote:What were the exposure settings for this Alexandra?

Hi, this was 30 seconds at f/5.8 using ISO5000, but i will be aiming for a lower ISO tonight, not really sure i need to go so high, but i am a newbie at wide angle night time capture!

Still cloudy here but the sun is now shining so i remain hopeful!
daibev Plus
15 350 Wales
11 Aug 2015 7:47PM

I was outside last night in south wales, about 2 per 1min exposure
daibev Plus
15 350 Wales
12 Aug 2015 4:07AM

Persids 2-25am
Paul_Iddon 13 56 England
12 Aug 2015 7:28AM
Nothing much over Preston Lancashire...50361_1439360916.jpg

12 Aug 2015 8:34AM
i am hoping i can see them today 12th Aug,
i am working out in the UAE, so i will be heading out to the desert, just hope i can see them here Smile

i wish everyone that goes out tonight all the best in catching the, Perseid Meteor Shower....

happy shooting

Paul
altitude50 15 16.5k United Kingdom
12 Aug 2015 9:44AM
A few years ago I was in the mountains in Valencia Region Spain well away from light pollution, from midnight to 3 am there was only about a ten second gap when there were no Perseids meteors at all. At times there were two or three crossing the sky at the same time, some were leaving white trails behind. I hope somebody else experiences it in the same way.
Every August in the UK I find that there is too much cloud to see anything or that I fall asleep waiting!
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
12 Aug 2015 10:44AM
Some good pictures, I notice you used f.1.8 Daibev, when I've tried I used f8.0 and I don't know why, playing it safe I suppose; it's made me realise that I should adjust focus and go for widest aperture possible and reduce the exposure time or ISO in order to keep the noise down
Split 5 4 2 Croatia
12 Aug 2015 11:01AM
I never took this kind of photo, but below is some advice : ( mybe I will tray tonight with kit lenses 18 - 55 ,2,8)
Lens: wider as possibly

ISO: 1600 -3200

Aperature: 1,4 -- 2,8 ( max open )

EXp: 5- 10 sec
12 Aug 2015 5:36PM
Well how typical, how very, very typical... pffffffffft!

So, i headed out to cromer from my house about 10pm, by midnight i was in cromer after a diversion to Holt, while waiting for the clouds to part of course!

Obviously they parted, but it was at 6am and i was walking along the beach at HUnstanton at the time.

I stopped off at Weybourne, Sheringham, Morston, Blakeney... usual spots; the clouds briefly gave a glimpse of the stars at blakeney, but the clouds were still dominating on the whole, despite seeing several meteors, i didnt capture one there.

Driving through Titchwell, i took a left turn to head to Choseley, where at the top of a hill good views are offered, and this is where i finally got a shooting star (yes i know its not really a star lol)

174066_1439395983.jpg

had to crop the hell out of this image though because the original looked like this

174066_1439396076.jpg

Soon after i made my way to Hunstanton beach to watch the sunrise, which should have been spectacular but really was dissapointing to say the least, still, it gave me a chance to try out landscapes with the new 8mm lens,

174066_1439396776.jpg

Anyhooooooo, im going to go out again tonight and try elsewhere, probably take a drive up north somewhere!

Well done to those who captured the perseids well Wink
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
12 Aug 2015 6:26PM
Nice one Lexi. I've never, ever seen a meteor shower. We always seem to have cloud over London. Only a couple of days left so fingers crossed.
Mind you, going to bed at 10.00pm doesn't help the viewing average. Grin
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
12 Aug 2015 7:49PM
Saw lots of these when flying the thousands of all-nighters I did in my 40 year career. One particular night a little over 30 years ago we were doing a freighter, and returning from Goose Bay Labrador to Halifax, Nova Scotia; the display was incredible, just a continuous shower of meteorites. When I got home at about 3:30am, I woke everybody up, and my wife and 3 kids sat out on the patio, wrapped in blankets, for about 30 minutes. They still talk about it many years later.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.