Phone Scam

jembo 15 139 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2018 5:46PM
Have had a few calls recently and been asked if I am the home owner. I always reply 'Who's calling?' and then the caller (usually foriegn) clears down.
Didn't relly think much of it until I read a similar article to this;

http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/25/can-you-hear-me-scam-could-be-stealing-your-details-police-warn-6471711/

So togs beware!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

altitude50 15 16.3k United Kingdom
5 Feb 2018 6:25PM
If I get a call from an unknown number or 'out of area' now I never answer, the phone usually goes click and nothing happens.
Or i get 'I am calling from Windows about your computer!' I say which one, I have seven then ring off.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
5 Feb 2018 6:27PM
Just ask for their home phone number, address, and credit card info, and say, I'll get back to you when I'm not busy.
col.campbell 16 1.3k 4 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2018 9:09PM
My attitude when someone I don't know rings is always mild suspicion as a minimum.

You can characterise it as a gruff voice saying "What do you want? Who's asking?"
5 Feb 2018 9:20PM
I used to have a checklist of questions to ask when you get one of those calls, but now I give them a short earful. My wife just says; we don't have a computer. But why even give them the courtesy of speaking at all?
bluesandtwos 10 405 1 England
6 Feb 2018 8:00AM
Don't get many as I subscribe to the preferential calling thing (or whatever it is called) but if I do get one and I'm in the mood I demand to speak to their superior as this is a secure National Defence number and I need to know how they got it.

But the best I ever heard of was saying you are a detective at the scene of a recent murder at this address, immediately call to an imaginary assistant to trace the call as they may be a suspect, and demand their name and home address, where they are calling from and that a policeman will be sent immediately to their place of work to question them as to how they knew the 'victim' and how they had the 'victims' ex directory phone number. Smile

A day without mischief is a day wasted! Grin
lobsterboy Plus
15 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2018 12:16PM
I seem to get loads of these when I am working from home. I try to keep them talking for as long as possible. The longer they are talking to me the less they can scam some vulnerable person. I seem to get 2:

1: The we are BT/Microsoft and your computer has a virus. Somehow every time they call the line is terrible so they have to repeat each instruction 3 or 4 times and it never works usually with something like "Firewall Message - Insecure action" or "Visual C Runtime error: 882186". Play your cards right and you can keep them on the phone for over an hour.

2: We are the TPS and we want to prevent nuisance calls. They usually want your bank account details and credit card number .

keeps me amused Smile
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
6 Feb 2018 3:06PM
With unwanted sales calls, I tell them that such calls are charged at 5 per minute and that we can't proceed unless they give me a credit card number.
AlexE 2 159 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2018 7:02PM
Have to say I don't have much of a problem with them. I think I'm the only one...
AlexE 2 159 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2018 7:14PM
BTW: @bluesandtwos - you are making me jealous...Tongue

Quote:But the best I ever heard of was saying you are a detective at the scene of a recent murder at this address, immediately call to an imaginary assistant to trace the call as they may be a suspect, and demand their name and home address, where they are calling from and that a policeman will be sent immediately to their place of work to question them as to how they knew the 'victim' and how they had the 'victims' ex directory phone number. Smile

Now I want a go!
filmforever 12 775
6 Feb 2018 7:36PM
The scam calls I've had, all are from men with Asian voices. Reportedly Indian Call centres are vulnerable to infiltration from local gangs. Some major companies are discreetly moving their Call Centre operations back to the UK.
7 Feb 2018 6:56AM

Quote:1: The we are BT/Microsoft and your computer has a virus. Somehow every time they call the line is terrible so they have to repeat each instruction 3 or 4 times and it never works usually with something like "Firewall Message - Insecure action" or "Visual C Runtime error: 882186". Play your cards right and you can keep them on the phone for over an hour.

I was told by the phone company that they use some system such as you describe to prevent tracking of their calls; we get the same here, the guy always says he's in New York, and when I tell him to take a flying...you know, he says bless you, and I say ____ you!Smile
chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
7 Feb 2018 12:44PM

Quote:The scam calls I've had, all are from men with Asian voices. Reportedly Indian Call centres are vulnerable to infiltration from local gangs. Some major companies are discreetly moving their Call Centre operations back to the UK.

And some of them are very INdiscreetly doing it - where they've found that their customers really dislike calling a call centre in India, they aren't moving them to the UK quietly but telling everyone that they are. It's good marketing.
In other cases they are doing it because it's becoming more expensive to have them abroad instead of in the UK.
In some cases it's for a combination of those reasons.
filmforever 12 775
7 Feb 2018 3:10PM

Quote:
Quote:
And some of them are very INdiscreetly doing it - where they've found that their customers really dislike calling a call centre in India, they aren't moving them to the UK quietly but telling everyone that they are. It's good marketing.
In other cases they are doing it because it's becoming more expensive to have them abroad instead of in the UK.
In some cases it's for a combination of those reasons.

In my opinion it was really daft setting up call centres in a foreign country anyway....It betrays short term thinking, with cheap wages the primary concern, and any kind of "service" a poor second. A perfect example of the "bean counters" being in control of a Company.

collywobles 15 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2018 5:44PM
I seem to get calls from people who seem to think I have had an accident and when I do I lead them on with as much BS as possible. I always give my car number plate the one I had in 1965 (still remember it KHK 767C) and that seems to fox them when I tell them I have had it from new...... One cheeky foreigner asked me why I am wasting his time.....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.