Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Photix remote timer

absurd 19 228 United Kingdom
9 Jun 2008 5:14PM
Has anyone used one of these and is it worth buying one?
I've got a Photix radio release and that seemed to get good comments from others on here.
Steve
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
9 Jun 2008 5:35PM
Based on the quality of the wireless shutter release, I'd say these should be great, The thing that Peeee's me off big time, Is this particular Phottix timer release.....Looks identical to my Nikon MC-36, release........But I did not get much change out of a 100 quid, When I bought the Nikon unit.....sob sob Sad

Anyhow Etefore is a great HK firm to deal with....!

And I have seen this same Phottix release on sale from UK based, Ebay supplies........Around the 30 quid mark....!
9 Jun 2008 8:01PM
I'm going to buy one, I think. I'll let you know how I get on with it.
Steve
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
9 Jun 2008 9:59PM

Quote:I'll let you know how I get on with it

Would be very interested, I know a couple of togs who are looking for something like this for Canon & Nikon cameras, But they don't feel inclined to shell out for the Branded items......!

Can't say I blame them.....Smile

If I had not already bought the Nikon item, I would certainly give the Phottix a go.....Thats for sure..!
18 Jun 2008 10:21PM
Just received it today - taken a week to get here.
It seems to be reasonably well constructed and layed out but there's no off switch so it's going to sit in the bag for any length of time I'll have to remove the batteries or insert a piece of paper.
The instructions are fairly complex and it took a bit of reading for me to realise that operation is really quite simple. I think they've got the two modes of operation in the wrong order in the manual. You can make the controller set everything, including the length of exposure which I'm sure is not the method most people would choose. Alternatively, you can let the camera deal with the exposure and just set the interval and number of shots. This is certainly my preference but it comes after several pages of instructions for the controller doing everything and is what got me thinking I'd made a bad purchase.
If I remember, I'll comeback and say how it works for real. It certainly appears to work okay in my study.
Steve
loweskid 19 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2008 11:04PM
I've just bought one - arrived two days ago. Works a treat. I agree the instructions are a bit long-winded but once I started to play about with it I found it was quite simple to operate.

I measured the quiescent current and it's just over 6mA, which is next to nothing. Personally I won't bother removing the batteries (unless I know I won't be using it for quite a while) as the battery connectors are a bit flimsy and might easily get damaged (though they are no more flimsy than on a lot of more expensive equipment).

I've bought a few things from this supplier and had no problems at all. Very quick delivery considering it's coming from Hong Kong. I've had much slower service from companies 10 miles away!
RogBrown 14 3.1k 10 England
19 Jun 2008 12:19AM
Not too sure what this actually does from reading the write-up. Can you set it to take 3 consecutive exposures at different shutter speeds, ie 1 sec, 4 secs, 16secs? Would be ideal for HDR if so.
ERog
NickdeBug 16 391
16 Apr 2009 11:41AM
Hi All

Can anyone tell me how many consecutive exposures this remote can handle? I looked at some on ebay and they seem to say 1-399, --unlimited. I am hoping that unlimited means that it just keeps clicking away until batteries fail/memory card full but confirmation of this would be great. 399 would last me a little over 30mins and I need to have it running for 6 hours!

Cheers
johnboy6 14 8 United Kingdom
20 Oct 2009 8:42PM
I am a user of photix equipment, and I use Etefore as my supplier as mentioned in an earlier post.
There has only been one item that was not 100%, and when I e-mailed about it, Etefore immediately put a replacement in the post without asking for the original to be returned. It was with me in 3 days from Hong Kong.
I would recommend this supplier with no reservations if your thinking of purchasing any item they stock.
I wish more Internet companies were as trustworthy and reliable.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.