Photo Books

tce5 15 61 United Kingdom
4 Feb 2006 10:21AM
Has anyone had their images published in these photo books. If so what do you think about the quality. I am thinking about it, have set up a book in the kodak site and it looks pretty good. Are the results as good in reality.
Tanya

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Timster 14 84
20 Feb 2006 1:17AM
Was toying with the idea myself. If you have taken the plunge and actually had one done Tanya then please let me know

Cheers

Timster
lornielou 14 8
23 Feb 2006 7:04AM
Tanya,
would you mind explaining to me what a photo book actually is...i gather you get a book printed with all your chosen photos...? (or am i completely off the mark here?)
Thanks
Lou
Hoggle 14 72
23 Feb 2006 7:26AM
LornieLou -

you are correct but you can add text as well. You can get some that look like photo albums, some that look like coffee table books.

Tanya -

I have tried two so far - one is viovio.com - it does a true bound book with a photo option on the front and back cover - the online wizard is not too flexible but online help is great.... You have to upload photos to the site to make your book. You end up with a softback book that looks and feels like a professional publication.

I found that using Powerpoint to make a page as I wanted it then saving the slide as a Jpeg worked best - there are details on the site on how to do it, or pm me.

Also pixbook.com (or.co.uk - I can't remember) which you download a small program onto your 'puter to then make your book up in your own time. It is a hardcover - either frosted plastic or imitation leather, the pages inside are a glossy plasticoated material.

The wizard you download is very flexible and the resulting pages, although not having the feel of a real 'paper' book, have fantastic images reproductoin (slightly better that Viovio in my opinion)

Both are very reasonable for cost and turnaround time.
lornielou 14 8
23 Feb 2006 10:59AM
Thanks so much Tanya. Going to look into them both
cheers
Lou
Max_WW 14 124
23 Feb 2006 11:44AM
I've not yet tried either, so can't give personal opinion, but similar can be found at:

Fotobook.co.uk

and

Photobox Photobook

Having been very impressed with other Photobox services recently I'll probably be getting them to do a photobook in the next month or so.

Max
Nike55 14 965 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2006 12:43PM
Having seen the recent ad for FotoInsight I wonder if any one contributing to this topic had any success or failures with book producing software over the last 10 months? An update would be welcomed.
thewaiter 18 1.2k 9 England
4 Dec 2006 1:01PM
I've just used shared ink for a similar product, these guys are based in the States, pretty user friendly software, various designs, full bleed pages etc.... you get a free trial period of 40 days and then there is a one off payment of $120..... I'm waiting for my book to arrive before I spend the extra, BUT if a UK company is now doing this I don't think I'll bother.

Kevin
fredchan 14 124
4 Dec 2006 1:39PM
I had the 30x30 Photobook done by Asda and was amazed at the quality - definitely recommend them:-

Asda

go to the photo section
Nike55 14 965 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2006 3:24PM
fredchan - nice link!
trivets12 16 1.3k
4 Dec 2006 6:05PM
I've used the Kodak photobooks twice this year and I think they are excellent for the price. They have a choice of leather or linen covers. The templates are not very imaginative but if you create your own page 14 x 11 in Photoshop and do your own layouts then there is no limit on what you can do, really. I would say, though, that a full page bleed in the largest book is not as good print quality as an actual 14 x 11 photographic print but both my Bride & Grooms were thrilled to bits with their books. The Graphistudio and other top-of-the-range books are out of some folk's price range, unfortunately, so I was pleased to find a good quality book at a lower cost.
Try www.kodakgallery.com and have a look at them.
I uploaded my design to the US website and the book arrived 8 days later! Not bad!
The UK website now offer these books ans I haven't done a price comparison but I bet they are more expensive than the US!
Trudy
VolcanoCowboy 13 157 England
4 Dec 2006 6:41PM

Quote:I bet they are more expensive than the US!

unfortunately they are: mini photo book (5x7) is $6.99 vs 5.95 for 20 pages.

Adam
thewaiter 18 1.2k 9 England
7 Dec 2006 8:31AM
Just received my first coffee table photo book back from Shared Ink. I'm impressed with the quality and finish of the product. I ordered a blue linen cover, they manufacture various other shades as well as leathers. Open the book and there is a very tastful embossed insert followed by the prints. The prints are of a high standard, slightly lacking in contrast, BUT I think thats probably down to me rather than Shared Ink..... !
Overall a good product, well packaged and delivered with in 2 weeks from the States, just not sure the signing on fee is justified.

Kevin
stevekhart 14 4.5k 3 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2006 9:08AM
I used snapfish.co.uk last year - it's OK and I guess good value for money. Print quality is OK, binding is good with a linen hard-back cover. The front has a black & white paper photo stuck to it which is not very robust. I'm interested in something of overall better quality - hard to make comparisons without actually seeing them side by side.
Tandberg 16 1.2k 2 England
7 Dec 2006 9:47AM
http://www.mypublisher.com/

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.