Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

Photo Booth! Is this a good business?

10 May 2016 8:50PM
I am considering getting a photo booth to supply for for weddings and party's. Can anyone tell me if this is a good business and how much I should expect to pay to set this up. Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

10 May 2016 10:02PM
Its like any other business, you only get out of it what you put in Smile
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
11 May 2016 7:49AM
I doubt anyone at a wedding is going to want to be buying prints at a photo booth.
LenShepherd 11 3.9k United Kingdom
11 May 2016 8:24AM
If you do not know how much a photo booth is likely to cost maybe you have not done basis research Sad
Whether anybody buys images at weddings is secondary to usually spending about 2 days to post process to get perfect wedding shots. There is not time to do this - unless you aim is to offer second rate wedding images.
Some types of sporting events such as mountain biking and horse jumping offer good photo taking opportunities for good fill flash shots - but you need someone shooting and some-one selling plus the booth in a good position at event HQ and for horse jumping events ideally close access to the jumps.
Formal dinners offer good opportunities but the photo buy ration can be low.
Indirect photo competition in the form of good compact camera phones has got to the level where maybe more than 25% carry one at an event.
I am not saying do not do itbut you have to do a lot of week-end and evening work to maybe get a return on your money.
davidburleson 12 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
11 May 2016 9:11AM
Photo booths are becoming quite novelty now, if done right and with the right crowd.

There is a German pub/restaurant in Manchester which has a free photo booth. It's can be a really fun time using it (especially after a few drinks).

I think BigBri would be right that it's doubtful that people would want to pay for photos from a photo booth in the traditional pay-per-use photobooth setup. But what about for a more novelty fun 'rent a free photo booth' style?

In other words, the party which is paying for the wedding and your services might want to rent your photobooth to allow the wedding guests to go in and take free snaps during the reception. It can be a fun way to capture moments. Perhaps you could rent it out on a flat fee along with maybe a 100-1000 photo booth snaps included in the rental cost.

The idea really isn't that much different to when people would give all the guests a disposable film camera.

I should add that this is just an idea. At the end of the day, you have to cost it up and see if it's worth it and if the demand is there.
FabioKeiner 6 111 Austria
11 May 2016 9:19AM
in germany in some hipster-areas it started to be absolutely super-cool: a photo-booth with 'real' photos taken at the party... people paid up to 4-5 euros for the famous 4 pictures strip...
of course, you could expand the idea with providing a digital take parallel, a person hidden in the booth taking pics, etc.... maybe especially a tweddings it may be a big fun surprise (given the overall childish mood especially among brits at feasts Smile)
put a picture of the queen in your booth kissing the wedding couple... or put a poster outside: entrance only naked or nude! (with example fotos exhibited) - I am absolutely sure, you'll earn way more than in a traditional way with boring photoshopped wedding routines Smile... or a fashion dummy inside the booth waiting Smile
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
11 May 2016 10:12AM
Rare for a wedding not to have one from my experience!

However, in nearly every case they have been paid up front with a booth ticket supplied to each guest. Extras have to be paid for and I've seen plenty of people who do.
mikeweeks 14 977 3 England
26 May 2016 1:05PM
It all depends if you want an actual booth or if you just call it a booth and have a photographer and a background or something inbetween. I know of at least one case where the not a booth, calls itself a booth was taken to court and lost because they were not a booth.

What is becoming popular are pods, inflatable booths and the use of Darkroom booth software

Cost to setup and do it right could be 6K+ - cehap and cheerful could literally be 100s - go along to any wedding fair and you will see a range of different examples

Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.