PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

Photo competition - Action - huge success

Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
26 Apr 2004 9:19AM
Wow, you like action!...with over four days to the close, the latest competition has already received more entries than any other competition we've run. It currently stands at 567 entries. Keep 'em coming

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

roxpix 16 2.2k 11 Scotland
26 Apr 2004 9:29AM
Pete, I'm realy chuffed to hear the level of interest that this topic has created in the competition. I was worried that the Digital boom and its associated focus lag (exc DSLR's of course) was putting several nails into the action coffin.

Alan
flossie 17 1.6k
26 Apr 2004 11:16AM
I'm glad it's been successful Pete, but one thing I have noticed on the last few competitions is the quite a few of the winners are new names to me.
Do you find a lot of people joining just to enter the competition then never to be seen again? The prizes are very good, I think the entrants should have been active on the site (or at least a member) for while before they can win.
Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
29 Apr 2004 4:58PM
Wow we are up to 727 entries and still over a day to go! It's way above anything we've had before. Why? was it an easy theme? Is the prize more tempting? Are there more people discovering the great comps? Are you feeling more confident?
29 Apr 2004 5:09PM
I cant wait to see them now! I can only photograph things that dont move or threaten to tape them to the carpet if they dont sit still so admire anyone who can capture action.
29 Apr 2004 5:18PM
Pete you can probably see from previous comps what percentage of comp entries come on the final day, do you think it will reach 1000?

alan
bradp 16 43
29 Apr 2004 6:00PM
Hi Pete,
I have a question:
Is there anyway through the cookies to allow a user to see the shots that were submitted for a competition, and change/modify them during the time the competition is open?
It would be a big help, if we already uploaded the 2 images (in this case) and later on, while the competition is still open, to end up taking a shot that was far better than what had been submitted already.
Or is it a case of put all your possibilities in a folder and wait it out until last minute?
Thanks and regards,
Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
29 Apr 2004 6:09PM
Alan, it's unlikely it will reach 1000, it tends to be a steady flow through the month and no rush at the end. Brad, that's not possible at the moment. If you feel you are going to do something better you'll need to hang on to them until the end.
Bernie 16 2.2k
30 Apr 2004 9:33AM
was it an easy theme? Is the prize more tempting? Are there more people discovering the great comps?

I personally have enjoyed the comps since joining but never considered entering. This month I bit the bullet and joined in, and will do next month as well.
dwjones 16 232 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2004 9:49AM
Similar to you Bernie, this month on bitting the bullet and had a go.
The theme was a good on for me as I had a few shots of my cricket team last year so used one of them. Was slightly annoyed that the new cricket season hasn't started yet, for me, so can't try out my new camera and lenses. And also will be shooting some Wushu(Kung Fu) this weekend and therefore to late :-(
30 Apr 2004 10:12AM
This is the first comp I've entered on here. I guess I could'nt suggest a theme and then not enter Smile

I am not a long term member but when I looked at the previous months catagories, solitude, sensual, silhouettes, sound, squares (err does anyone else see a pattern here,) technology, panels etc they all have worthy winners of course but the comp titles just seemed a little 'Arty' for me and best left to others.

I think everyone can relate to 'Action' in the same way that if we had a comp for 'close-up' or 'black and white' (feel free to use these Pete)

Those with a more artistic view can still see all the wonderfull possibilities while people like me dont feel that the target/standard is too high for us to compete.

Okay maybe after Pete can tell us if overall he sees a dip in the standard of entries but even if there is this just means that a larger section of the epz community are becoming involved, which has to be a good thing.

Good luck to all those who entered.

Alan
Phil-LS 17 632 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2004 10:14AM
I think the prize plays a big part in how many people enter, but saying that the Theme covers a very wide variety of shots like in the example it can range from Children playing all the way through the different types of sport.

To me that gives a wider selection so i would think that everyone will have at least some photo's that come in to that category

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.