Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Photo Help

Dingus 8 118 Scotland
18 Sep 2021 11:05PM
Hi folks.
While out for a walk round a local historical site, I found two photos that have been reproduced from very old photos.
Does anyone have an idea how I can try to reproduce this effect.

224440_1632002597.jpg

and
224440_1632002609.jpg

Please disregard the sun on them.
Also note these were quickly taken on an iPhone.
Carabosse 18 41.7k 270 England
19 Sep 2021 3:14AM
Presumably these are photos of photos? The quality by modern standards is abysmal of course, but I'm pretty sure you could produce that effect in Photoshop or whatever other imaging software you use. You can try fiddling around with contrast + levels + curves.

It is easy to make a technically good photo look worse, less easy to do the vice-versa!
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
19 Sep 2021 7:44AM
It is reasonable to hope the originals, likely copied, are better than the 2 images posted.

A straightforward method of reproducing the original appearance of the images is to put them through a decent flatbed scanner - though it is unlikely anybody other than those with appropriate skill will be allowed to handle historic photos.

Another method to copy "as is" to to use a digital camera on a copy stand.

As has been mentioned the originals can be made to look either better - or worse - by those with a little more than elementary post processing skill.
Dingus 8 118 Scotland
19 Sep 2021 9:04AM
Thanks for the input.
As said I took a quick iPhone photo of two posters. The posters were of extremely old original photos. Actually of the workers in one of the first woollen mills built in Scotland (perhaps UK). Itís called New Lanark Mill.

Iím not looking to reproduce these ones, but would like get this affect on some that Iíve taken, but how I would achieve this effect has got me baffled.
Dave_Canon 15 2.0k United Kingdom
19 Sep 2021 10:26AM
What effect are you wishing to replicate, the ghostly effect, the blocked up shadows, night effect or other?

Dave
Dingus 8 118 Scotland
19 Sep 2021 10:31AM
Hi Dave.
I’m looking to isolate any one.
I love the old and poor quality look off these images. I know it won’t be identical but as close as I can get would be great.

I have Photoshop and Lightroom
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
19 Sep 2021 11:19AM

Quote:Hi Dave.
I’m looking to isolate any one.
I love the old and poor quality look off these images. I know it won’t be identical but as close as I can get would be great.

I have Photoshop and Lightroom

To start with try increasing contrast to maximum and over exposing images by maybe at least 3 stops stops, smother an old filter with something like vaseline - and see what you get.
Using minus dehaze and minus clarity in Lightroom could help you get closer.
Dingus 8 118 Scotland
19 Sep 2021 11:20AM
Thanks Len. Appreciate your help.
Minty805 Plus
5 43 9 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2021 9:37PM
Do you have access to the Nik Collection? There are some effects in Analog Efex Pro which might give you a good starting point. I've had a quick look, one called Wet Plate 2 isn't a million miles away and you might get what you want from that.
Hope this helps. Allan
dark_lord Plus
17 2.8k 784 England
20 Sep 2021 12:32PM
Try some of the suggested adjustments on your chosen image, then post that together with the untouched image (as a mod) in the Critique Gallery, stating what you've done and what you want to achieve.
There's plenty of help on hand and people willing to detail their processing steps involved.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.