Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Photo is overexposed at some points. Does anyone know something to improve my picture?

6 Jun 2018 2:39PM
Hello,

I've made a picture of a building, and I pointed my cam at the sky. (Using the a6500 with a Sigma 16mm f1.4).
At the picture you see the building itself isn't over exposed. Except at the edges of the building. It doesn't look crispy. It looks like the sky is overexposing the edge of the building a little bit.

Does anyone know if this has a name? Or is there a solution for this?
I also have a Raw file of this. And i'm using Lightroom, and if it's needed Photoshop.

314974_1528292140.jpg

Greetings,
Carlo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chrism8 12 930 26 England
6 Jun 2018 2:55PM
Hi Carlo

The image looks correctly exposed for the sky and the building at the end, the two side buildings and the person in the foreground are underexposed, these can be recovered in processing the raw file with shadow fill.

It's very difficult to get the exposure right in camera without adding loads of light and with subjects of this size, thats impractable.

You need to strike a happy medium, which you look to have done, detail can usually be recovered from shadows but not from over exposed highlights.

Hth

Chris
saltireblue Plus
9 9.3k 35 Norway
6 Jun 2018 3:20PM
Hi Cato,
If you upload the image to the main gallery and tick the "Critique Wanted" box during the upload, then the dedicated Critique Team can look at and give you help and suggestions. Make sure you include all the exif as they need this to help them make suggestions. They can also upload modifications of the image to show you what can be achieved.
Dave_Canon 12 1.5k United Kingdom
6 Jun 2018 3:24PM
You need to be aware of the dynamic range of the scene and of your camera. I suspect that the dynamic range of the scene exceeds that of your camera so you can only deal with this by using multiple exposures. Probably 3 will be enough if you are using Raw. If you have the latest LR Classic then this will merge the multiple exposures to create a 32 bit DNG file (adobe Raw file). You may then edit this normally in LR but you will find the various sliders have a much increased range so you can recover details in the highlights and shadows.

Dave
SlowSong Plus
10 8.0k 30 England
6 Jun 2018 3:42PM
I've taken the liberty of having a play. Hope you don't mind.

There's absolutely no detail in the sky to pull out but just in PS you can lift the shadows and dodge and burn to bring out more detail and sharpen it up. I'm sure you can get a great deal out of the raw file. There is quite a bit of colour in the shot by I put a sepia tint over it which dampens down the bright clump of sky. I lightened the chap in the foreground so he stands out a bit more.

Dave's is the definitive answer but if this was my shot I'd meter from a midtone at the top of the building and perhaps use exposure compensation to get as much detail out as I could.

84915_1528295852.jpg

6 Jun 2018 3:59PM
Tianshi_angie 4 2.4k England
6 Jun 2018 4:13PM
273254_1528297946.jpg

Processed in Adobe Camera Raw then taken into Topaz Clarity and Adjust to fine tune.

Probably needs the blue toning taken down a bit.
Tianshi_angie 4 2.4k England
6 Jun 2018 4:38PM
273254_1528299499.jpg

Used the 'dehaze' in Camera raw which I think produced a cleaner image.
Chris_L 5 5.0k United Kingdom
6 Jun 2018 6:06PM
Sky is recoverable with tone curve adjustment, highlights etc

You should be able to download that after you click on it to see it full size
Chris_L 5 5.0k United Kingdom
6 Jun 2018 6:19PM
250184_1528305447.jpg

If you paint over the far wall to darken it a little, also paint the sky part, it will look different again. It's going to come down to your personal taste in the long run.
8 Jun 2018 11:00AM
Thanks for helping. Dehaze did a good job to the photo!

314974_1528451947.jpg

arhb Plus
11 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
10 Jun 2018 9:51AM
I think you've struck a good balance Carlo - the deeper shadows create a better contrast.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.