Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

photo surrounds ?

alynch 6 6 Northern Ireland
17 Oct 2012 2:59PM
i have seen photo prints for sale in local shops and places with a white surround like frame was wondering what this is or where to get like a white surround to put prints in to sell. any help would be great thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

17 Oct 2012 3:15PM
I assume you mean aperture mounts?

These can be picked up at craft stores, picture framers and specialist photographic retailers. However, they can work out quite costly if you are selling your work, as they can eat into profit. I invested in a mount cutter a few years ago as i do all my printing and mounting myself.

You get what you pay for, but a reasonable bevel cutter and ruler will set you back around 40 (although you can spend much much more), with large A0 mount boards costing between 4 and 10 depending on colour and if you shop around. As a comparison, a single pre-cut mount for a 10x8 print could cost you around 10 from some stockists, so although the initial outlay for a DIY kit is more expensive, it saves a fortune in the long run and is very simple. I always have a stock of black, white and cream mountboards so that customers/clients can decide on the mount they want to suit their decor.

Hope this helps
User_Removed 8 4.6k 1 Scotland
17 Oct 2012 3:16PM
You can either buy them ready-cut to whatever size you want - try Cotswold Mounts.

Or you can cut your own using a simple device such as the Logan Mat Cutter .

mikehit 8 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2012 3:54PM
I bought the 350-1 and it saves so much time because the inbuilt rulers allow you to cut to the required border size without measuring, marking with pencil etc. Also, the cutter runs along a rail to keep it straight which ensures consistency. If you are selling prints, it increases set-up cost but if you calculate the timesaving in ease of use I am sure it will pay for itself.
alynch 6 6 Northern Ireland
17 Oct 2012 4:34PM

Quote:You can either buy them ready-cut to whatever size you want - try Cotswold Mounts.

Or you can cut your own using a simple device such as the Logan Mat Cutter.


What is the material or what is it called
Steve_S Plus
12 181 3 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2012 5:33PM
There are a few retailers on ebay too. I use mountsolutions or friargate frames. Both sell excellent quality mounts and they are cheaper than Cotswold Mounts.
17 Oct 2012 7:49PM
The product is called Mount Board, comes in sizes A1 or A0 and in different colours.
As others have said buy a mount cutter to make your own mounts, much much cheaper than the pre cut ones

neil75 8 25 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2012 9:01PM
I use picturelizard or the frame-company both quite reasonable.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.