Photographer has wildlife image disqualified

Ross_D Plus
5 838 1 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2018 12:11PM
A photographer had his image in a wildlife competition disqualified ........for using a stuffed anteater SmileSmile

I can just imagine walking along with a stuffed anteater under your arm !!

Reminded me of the Monty Python 'dead parrot' sketch !!

(Well it made me smile anyway !!)

LINK

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bluesandtwos 10 406 1 England
27 Apr 2018 1:25PM
Stuffed anteater GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin

Made me smile too, also makes me want a stuffed anteater!

Dave
27 Apr 2018 1:34PM
Really amused me. Almost as funny as Anteater poses for stuffed photographer. 🤔
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
27 Apr 2018 1:48PM
Quite skillfully done though, even if it was faked - maybe he should get a special prize for that! Tongue
robthecamman 8 1.7k United Kingdom
27 Apr 2018 4:33PM
Is that not creativity ??
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
27 Apr 2018 8:13PM

Quote:Is that not creativity ??

No it's cheating and deliberately misleading.
RoyChilds 12 104 England
27 Apr 2018 8:50PM
PININ' for the FJORDS
robthecamman 8 1.7k United Kingdom
28 Apr 2018 8:52AM
But if it was photoshopped that would be fair
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
28 Apr 2018 9:52AM

Quote:But if it was photoshopped that would be fair

No... it would be against the rules and ethics promoted by the competition. It is simply cheating and misleading everyone, there is no excuse.
brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2018 9:54AM
my first thought was Why?

There seems to be a trend that people will steal other people's images and claim them as their work, entering what are clearly staged shots as "natural history", creating composite images from many other sources then claiming its "straight out of the camera" etc

I don't get it, if they get away with it and win (at whatever level) what is the benefit to them, they will know that it was a "cheat" and that they are still probably a crap photographer and if they are exposed as cheats it must damage their ego

So, why do it?

any thoughts on the psychology behind it?
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
28 Apr 2018 10:12AM

Quote:any thoughts on the psychology behind it?

When they get caught it is a news item and gives free publicity to the competition / exhibition !
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 36 Norway
28 Apr 2018 10:37AM

If they get away with it, they get the acclaim of being a winner, the best. Same with golfers who cheat by recording a 5 instead of a 6 or suddenly 'find' their lost ball on the edge of the fairway instead of in the rough...or the marathon runner who gets a lift part of the way...winning and acknowledgement means everything, the means by which it is achieved is secondary, it's the end result that matters.
Ross_D Plus
5 838 1 United Kingdom
28 Apr 2018 10:44AM

I suppose it's a 'win at all cost' mentality. ... the same as athletes who use perfromance inhancing drugs etc.

Quote:But if it was photoshopped that would be fair

Disagree. I don't know the rules and T&Cs of this particular competition but certainly comps such as Landscape Photographer of the Year have very strict rules. For instance (from memory) as far as the LPOTY is concerned you can't add or delete elements to/from your landscape image nor can you 'substitute' elements.I think there was the example where a tog got disqualified because he swapped a boring sky for a more interesting one (quite easily done in Photoshop !). Also, of course the theme of the competition was 'wildlife' and (IMO) the word 'life' in this context means 'living' or ' alive'.
Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
28 Apr 2018 11:01AM

Quote:

When they get caught it is a news item and gives free publicity to the competition / exhibition !

I don't think so... Not even sure how you draw that conclusion.
lemmy 12 2.8k United Kingdom
28 Apr 2018 12:16PM

Some people simply need to feel big and they get the admiration and attention they crave any way they can. At root they are needy and inadequate characters who don't have the insight or sensitivity to know that, actually they haven't won anything. What is cheating but an acknowledgement that you are incapable of winning on your own merit?

Brian1208, they just don't have the insight to take the decent view that you and most others do, that a game isn't worth winning unless won fairly. They have the mentality of the petty criminal and recognise only their own needs.

I think sport is different, in that there are massive material gains possible so you can get rich and famous by winning. If you take Lance Armstrong, he has the petty criminal mentality in that he still doesn't think that he did anything wrong and all the non drug users were just losers. In a way he's right since he remains a rich man even after the court cases. He's actually proved that in cycling at least, cheats do prosper.

Disqualifying that armadillo photographer summarily was a good move. It showed a commitment to both good photography and fair competition.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.